• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do handicap signs have to have the "minimum 250" marker to be a CA valid sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA
Got a ticket for unloading food supplies in a handicap spot for work, a few semi trucks were blocking the parking spots and drop off area, so I pulled into handicap and dropped off a few food supplies and 2 min later came out with a ticket. Those trucks were illegally blocking all parking spots, no one could get in/out. Really needed to drop these off so i parked there for a few minutes. The handicap sign had no "250 minimum" sign or any other words, only a symbol. And according to ADA those signs are required to have 250 minimum text. Could this be a reason for me to get out of the ticket. Since the signs are not properly valid and i was only parked there because the trucks were illegally blocking everyone

Also they did repaint the parking lot a few months ago. That is considered new construction in which they had to change to proper handicap signs which they didn't. I am not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

For those who is going to say "you parked in handicap, you pay the fine", i am not asking that so please don't say the obvious

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suppose your few minutes of convenience should override the need of an actual handicapped person, right?

I suppose your few minutes of convenience should override the need of an actual handicapped person, right?
We both know the answer for that, and do you know anything about proper handicap signs because, the ones that i parked in were "according to ADA" not proper handicap signs of CA

You could lime and money.

I suspect that the absence of the "Minimum $250" sign will be enough to absolve you parking illegally. Rather, the party owning the parking area is in violation.
I am confused on how you said that, what do you mean? Your saying i can/cant use that sign as my defense or im still in wrong and only the owner is in violation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am confused on how you said that, what do you mean? Your saying i can/cant use that sign as my defense or im still in wrong and only the owner is in violation.
What you are being told is that it's quite possible (maybe even likely) that you will wiggle out of this ticket, as distasteful as that is to folks who actually need the spots.

What you are being told is that it's quite possible (maybe even likely) that you will wiggle out of this ticket, as distasteful as that is to folks who actually need the spots.
Ik, i aint proud of what I did and I know i was in the wrong but hey, if there is a chance i can get out of it, im taking it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sorry. I have a sick kid at home. I have since edited my post to reflect what I intended to post.

I do NOT think that you should be able to wiggle out of it due to the signage.

You are not disputing that the space was clearly marked. You are disputing whether the minimum fine was posted.

But as Zig pointed out, you ca go for it and see if your argument flies. Worst case scenario, it doesn't, and you have to pay the fine. Which could be more than $250.

FlyingRon

There's no requirement that the sign have the Minimum $250 fine statement if it was erected before July 1, 2008.

Sorry. I have a sick kid at home. I have since edited my post to reflect what I intended to post.

I do NOT think that you should be able to wiggle out of it due to the signage.

You are not disputing that the space was clearly marked. You are disputing whether the minimum fine was posted.

But as Zig pointed out, you ca go for it and see if your argument flies. Worst case scenario, it doesn't, and you have to pay the fine. Which could be more than $250.
no worries hope your kid gets better, and the ticket is already $300+, not much to lose at this point

There's no requirement that the sign have the Minimum $250 fine statement if it was erected before July 1, 2008.
But the parking lot had a painting job a few months ago, which is considered new construction, and it also says any construction after 2008 will be forced to update their signs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">