• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you think I will be disqualified for EDD benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

If I am asked and I tell her the truth most likely I will be denied benefits right?
If you are asked and don't tell the truth and your former employer then sends EDD a copy of the 3 year old writeup then the EDD will, rightly, think truth is sort of fluid for you and look at everything you say from with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

commentator

The only discipline you would need to report or that they should be asking about is progressive discipline leading up to your recent termination for the specific thing you were terminated for. In other words, if you received a write up for being tardy three years ago, or for just about anything, really, it isn't going to be relevant to their coming in and firing you now. You weren't even told WHY you were being terminated anyway. Most warnings are considered beside the point after about a year anyhow. And you can't warn someone and then three years later fire them for that reason and expect to be found to have provided them progressive discipline.

Yes, if you're caught up in a lie, it makes you less believable. But in that case, if they came up with a three year old warning, nobody's going to pay much attention to it anyhow. You don't have to shoot yourself in the foot by trying to tell them just everything in the world. The omission of an irrelevant warning isn't going to damn you.

I seldom see anyone so determined to self sabotage and try to convince themselves they're going to be denied unemployment. Why don't you wait and see how it turns out?

Sadguy78

Thanks lot guys you been great advice and help but there is no positive news yet. I got interviewed on June 13th and they have confirmed from my employer. The manager told me HR has said at will termination but for some odd reason, I don't know if I should believe Mr. manager or not. I was told by EDD rep to wait 10 days not sure if she meant 10 business days or 10 regular days. If She meant 10 regular days today is 10th day and no response from EDD.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In my state, which admittedly is not yours, a perfectly clean claim where there is no possible question of the employee qualifying and which the employer is not contesting can still take up to three weeks. I wouldn't worry yet.

Chyvan

no response from EDD.
EDD has two ways of responding. If approved, money just starts showing up on your debit card. Did you get one yet? Are you checking for money on it?

If denied, then you get a letter. Just appeal it. 54.9% of EDD denials are overturned on appeal.

commentator

I cannot stress often enough. Keep on making the weekly certifications as each Sunday through Saturday week passes. If you have not made the certifications, or have stopped making the certifications, then money won't appear anywhere because you haven't certified for it. If, as I suspect, this is an initial claim, you should hear something this coming week. If you don't you may want to CALL through the system and check. In other words, if they said "about 10 days" don't let it lie there for more than 15 or so days without checking.

Sadguy78

I cannot stress often enough. Keep on making the weekly certifications as each Sunday through Saturday week passes. If you have not made the certifications, or have stopped making the certifications, then money won't appear anywhere because you haven't certified for it. If, as I suspect, this is an initial claim, you should hear something this coming week. If you don't you may want to CALL through the system and check. In other words, if they said "about 10 days" don't let it lie there for more than 15 or so days without checking.
Thanks for good advice. I have already send two certifications with in timely manner using telecert phone system. Do you think its good to mail in or telecert is as effective as paper claim form?

Sadguy78

EDD has two ways of responding. If approved, money just starts showing up on your debit card. Did you get one yet? Are you checking for money on it?

If denied, then you get a letter. Just appeal it. 54.9% of EDD denials are overturned on appeal.
I havent got any denial letter of Deit card. with my luck I dont know what to expect but I really hope and pray I dont get denied

commentator

Either way, each time you do the process, you should get some form (verbal or on line) confirmation that your weekly claim for certification has been accepted. That's what you need and should have to be sure your weeks are certified for. Telecert should work fine. But save all the hopes and prayers. If you are you are, if you aren't you appeal. Meantime, you're making those job searches and moving on anyway, because even if approved unemployment benefits are quite temporary and are not nearly as much money as you can make working, and you need to be finding that next better job, with or without them.

Chyvan

I havent got any Deit card.
Use the "ask EDD" link, and tell EDD to send you a debit card. Whether approved or not, everyone gets a debit card. Without it, you can't check to see if you have benefits on the card. Also, you really should do the certs online rather than paper or telecert. When you do it on line, you'll see if the weeks are in "pending" or "paid" status. If in "paid," then you know you have money on a debit card that is not yet in your possession. If in "pending," then you know a decision hasn't been made yet. If "disqualified," then you know you can file your appeal REQUEST, and should be watching for the letter that tells you WHY you are disqualified.

Sadguy78

Use the "ask EDD" link, and tell EDD to send you a debit card. Whether approved or not, everyone gets a debit card. Without it, you can't check to see if you have benefits on the card. Also, you really should do the certs online rather than paper or telecert. When you do it on line, you'll see if the weeks are in "pending" or "paid" status. If in "paid," then you know you have money on a debit card that is not yet in your possession. If in "pending," then you know a decision hasn't been made yet. If "disqualified," then you know you can file your appeal REQUEST, and should be watching for the letter that tells you WHY you are disqualified.
Status is showing pending I have submitted 4 weeks worth of certifications through tele-cert and they all showing pending with 0 amount. I have already sent them online question through EDD ask checking the status of my claim but didnt ask about debit card. I will wait few more days then send them another ask EDD question about debit card. Getting EDD representative on phone is next to impossible. I been holding on phone for 4 hours 8-12 PM for past 3 days in row without any luck. They only work 4 hours in state of California.

Sadguy78

Update: I just logged in to my online EDD account it's showing Below information.
Week 1 Certification Status
Waiting Period Served for week ending 06/09/2018

Week 2 Certification Status
Paid for the week ending 06/16/2018

I haven't received my Debit card or any letter does this mean I have been approved or I should wait and see until I get confirmation letter?

Last edited:

Chyvan

Week 1 Certification Status
Waiting Period Served for week ending 06/09/2018

Week 2 Certification Status
Paid for the week ending 06/16/2018
EDD doesn't pay unless you were approved. You will receive no letter because you were approved, only when you are denied. Now, get your debit card. For now, it's over unless the employer wants to appeal.

Sadguy78

I do work as a private notary on the side once a month I notarize document and makes very little amount. Do I have to report this income on EDD certifications does edd deduct this amount from total amount? (Sometimes i make $50 or $100 depends what kind of documents need notarization)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every state has an allowable amount that you can earn without it affecting your benefits. In my state, which is not yours, you can earn up to one third of your weekly benefits and they will not take any offset. More than a third, and there is a dollar-for-dollar offset. I don't know offhand what it is in California, but yes, you have to report it; no, they will not necessarily make any deductions. It will depend on how much you earn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">