• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dwai in NY and 2 DUI in CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ct2050

I have a dwai in NY and I have 2 DUI convictions in Ct. my drivers license is out of New York. I was wondering what the deivers suspension would look like. Can they suspended me for life for this?

Just Blue

I have a dwai in NY and I have 2 DUI convictions in Ct. my drivers license is out of New York. I was wondering what the deivers suspension would look like. Can they suspended me for life for this?
In what time span did these DUI's happen?

Ct2050

I got the dwai in ny about 4 years ago and no I'm going to court for 2 dui now that they want me to pled guilty to

quincy

I got the dwai in ny about 4 years ago and no I'm going to court for 2 dui now that they want me to pled guilty to
I am not sure I understand what you wrote above.

You have two DUIs in Connecticut that you are currently having to deal with and you want to know how these will affect your New York drivers license?

Where do you currently live - in New York or in Connecticut?

I believe that Connecticut is one of the states that is not part of the Interstate Driver's License Compact which, if true, could mean that your DUIs in Connecticut will not be reported to New York's licensing authorities. But I am not sure on this.

Here is a link to a FreeAdvice staff-written article on the Interstate Driver's License Compact and DUI license suspensions: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/drunk_driving/interstate-compact-dui.htm

We have a New York police officer on this forum who might know the answer.

Whatever the effect on your New York license, if you have just been charged with a DUI (or two), you should be speaking to your attorney - and, if you do not yet have an attorney, I strongly recommend you hire one.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Connecticut most certainly is signed on to the DLC. Further, these convictions almost certainly will appear on the 50-state NDR.

New York has specific wording in their statutes to INCLUDE prior out-of-state alcohol convictions as their equivalent NYS convictions (this has been so for the past decade, prior to that, they only came in at the lowest DWAI level).

You need a good lawyer. You appear (if I read your posts right) to have a DWAI with two DUI priors. This jumps you up to the felony level!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Regardless of the DLC, these are criminal offenses in both states (the DWI/DUI). Thus, they will appear on the OP's criminal history and any prosecutor dealing with his case will know about the past convictions.

I agree the OP has made his situation confusing - sounded initially like he is currently charged with a DWAI in NY with two past DUI's in CT. Rather than speculate he needs to return to clarify his situation before any assessment can be made about possible penalties, especially since the DWAI is a traffic infraction (although I think that should have changed a long time ago).

Ct2050

I had a dwai conviction about 4 years ago and now I am going to court for 2 dui's that I got a few months ago. They are making me pled out to two misdoeanor dui because I never had a dui conviction in the past. I am asking what the suspension would
Be like because I heard any 3 alcohol related convictions in ny is a life time suspension.

FlyingRon

I had a dwai conviction about 4 years ago and now I am going to court for 2 dui's that I got a few months ago. They are making me pled out to two misdoeanor dui because I never had a dui conviction in the past. I am asking what the suspension would
Be like because I heard any 3 alcohol related convictions in ny is a life time suspension.
They are not "making" you do anything. Guilty pleas must be voluntary and intelligent. In order to be intelligent, you should employ the services of an attorney. What you need to know to answer this question is the dates that the offense occured on and the date you were adjudicated guilty (on the priors).

quincy

Who is "making" you plead out to two misdemeanor DUIs? Do you have an attorney in Connecticut?

Here is a link to the law that spells out what happens to your drivers license (look at out-of-state DUIs) and, yes, three or more alcohol-related convictions could under some circumstances lead to a permanent revocation of a drivers license:

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/penalties-alcohol-or-drug-related-violations

I hope these latest DUIs have convinced you that you have a serious alcohol problem that needs to be treated. I recommend you get into an alcohol counseling program immediately.

(as a note: It appears the only states that are not part of the Interstate Pact are Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Georgia, Tennessee and Michigan; Connecticut, as noted by FlyingRon, is a member state)

Last edited:

HighwayMan

There is no such thing as a lifetime suspension.

You would have your license revoked (not suspended) for "at least one year".

quincy

There is no such thing as a lifetime suspension.

You would have your license revoked (not suspended) for "at least one year".
Well ... there is a "permanent" revocation of a drivers license in New York, although someone whose license has been permanently revoked can request a waiver after five years.

Ct2050

Would 2 misdoeanor dui convictions and a dwai conviction in NY be enough to have my license revoked for life?

HighwayMan

The following was taken from the New York State DMV website (https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/penalties-multiple-offenders):

New regulations took effect on September 25, 2012 that affect drivers with multiple alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents. The highlights of how these changes affect persons applying for a driver license after their license is revoked are provided below.

- Applicants with three or four alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents within a 25 year period, without a serious driving offense and whose revocation does NOT result from an alcohol or drugged driving conviction or incident, will be denied relicensing for two years in addition to the statutory revocation period, and then will be relicensed with a problem driver restriction for two years. A serious driving offense is a fatal accident, a driving-related penal law conviction, conviction of two or more violations for which five or more points are assessed, or 20 or more points from any violations.

- Applicants with three or four alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents within the preceding 25 years, without a serious driving offense and whose revocation DOES result from an alcohol or drugged driving conviction or incident, will be denied relicensing for five years in addition to the statutory revocation period, and then will be relicensed with a problem driver restriction for 5 years with an ignition interlock.

- Applicants with three or four alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents within the preceding 25 years, with a serious driving offense will be permanently denied a driver license, unless there are compelling or extenuating circumstances.

- Applicants with five or more alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents on their lifetime driving record will be permanently denied a driver license, unless there are compelling or extenuating circumstances.

- Applicants with two or more alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents within the preceding 25 years will be required to serve their entire sanction period (suspension or revocation) even if they complete the Impaired Driver Program (IDP) (previously known as Drinking Driving Program (DDP))and will be required to submit proof of rehabilitation.

quincy

Would 2 misdoeanor dui convictions and a dwai conviction in NY be enough to have my license revoked for life?
Did you read the information in the link provided earlier? I suspect not.

Because the two DUIs are out-of-state DUIs, it is probably unlikely that your New York license will be revoked for life, but this question is one you should be asking your attorney.

If you do not yet have an attorney, I recommend once again that you get one.

HighwayMan

New York DMV treats out-of-state alcohol-related convictions as if they occurred in NY (as far as I know), so the lifetime revocation would depend upon whether ct2050 has anything else of note on his driving record.

An attorney is his best bet for finding out the answers to any other questions he may have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">