• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dwai in NY and 2 DUI in CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

New York DMV treats out-of-state alcohol-related convictions as if they occurred in NY (as far as I know) ...
Not according to the DMV link I provided.

An attorney is his best bet for finding out the answers to any other questions he may have.
I agree. And Ct2050 has more to worry about with his DUIs in Connecticut than just his driver's license being suspended or revoked in New York.

quincy

Maybe I missed it (which I don't doubt) but I didn't see any specific reference on that page to out-of-state convictions.
I had to re-read the link to see if it said what I thought it said. :)

At the bottom of the "box" of penalties for alcohol or drug related offenses, it lists the penalties for "Driving Under the Influence (out-of-state)." It shows no mandatory New York jail time or fines for out-of-state offenses (because those will be determined by a Connecticut court) but it shows that the New York license can be revoked for "at least 90 days (longer term with certain prior offenses)." This appears (to me) to be different from the license revocations for in-state offenses.

Am I reading it correctly?

quincy

Geez, that was easy to miss!

Yes, apparently you are. The convictions count but not in the same way as an in-state conviction.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Not a problem.

New York doesn't make reading their laws very easy. I remember a discussion before with You Are Guilty about the ABC laws in your state. Yikes, those are impossible to decipher. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">