• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency transport request by neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atlaswv

Hello,
I live in California... my neighbor is 85 years old and has heart problems. She frequently calls 911 but they take her to the nearest hospital, which she doesn't like. This morning she called me and said that she doesn't feel good and that I should take her to the ER of another hospital that is farther from us. I wasn't at home at the time, so I told her to call 911 or her doctor.
In this situation, if I don't take her to the nearest hospital and she gets really sick in my car during transportation, I would never forgive myself, but besides that, can I be held responsible for her well-being? Thank you for your help...

quincy

Hello,
I live in California... my neighbor is 85 years old and has heart problems. She frequently calls 911 but they take her to the nearest hospital, which she doesn't like. This morning she called me and said that she doesn't feel good and that I should take her to the ER of another hospital that is farther from us. I wasn't at home at the time, so I told her to call 911 or her doctor.
In this situation, if I don't take her to the nearest hospital and she gets really sick in my car during transportation, I would never forgive myself, but besides that, can I be held responsible for her well-being? Thank you for your help...
If you take responsibility for your neighbor’s transportation, yes, you could be held responsible for anything that happens to her during the transport.

quincy

Thank you so much for your response.
You’re welcome, atlaswv.

You might want to tell your neighbor that you value her life too much to let anyone but trained professionals like the EMTs take care of her during necessary transportations to the hospital.

atlaswv

You’re welcome, atlaswv.

You might want to tell your neighbor that you value her life too much to let anyone but trained professionals like the EMTs take care of her during necessary transportations to the hospital.
I will for sure:)

quincy

It is really nice, by the way, that your 85-year-old neighbor feels comfortable calling you. You must be a good neighbor.

quincy

Thank you, that's kind of you. I help her with grocery shopping, things around the house, etc. but there are things I'm not qualified to do for her.
Thank you for helping her. She’s a lucky woman.

I think you are smart, however, to leave any emergency medical transportation to those trained to administer medical care. This is for her safety as well as yours.

atlaswv

Thank you for helping her. She’s a lucky woman.

I think you are smart, however, to leave any emergency medical transportation to those trained to administer medical care. This is for her safety as well as yours.
…and you helped me. It takes time and dedication to help run this forum and I appreciate your participation in advising people like me:)

quincy

Why do I get the feeling we are going to be bursting into either the Mr. Rogers or the Barney song soon? Haha. :)

Have a good weekend, atlaswv. I appreciate the thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't know if things work differently where you are, but it's been my experience that, as long as the difference in distance isn't excessive and the situation is not seriously emergent, they'll usually transport you to a different hospital if requested or warranted.

But yeah - I'd leave the transport of non-family to the professionals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">