• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expiration of Judgement in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rick68

Update!
This question has been satisfactorily answered elsewhere.
No further input necessary.

Virginia judgement.

If a judgement was awarded in a Virginia General District Court April, 2000 and docket at the same county's Circuit Court February, 2001, what month and year will it expire?
I know it will last 20 years and can be renewed, but if not renewed, will it expire April, 2020 or February, 2021?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Virginia judgement.

If a judgement was awarded in a Virginia General District Court April, 2000 and docket at the same county's Circuit Court February, 2001, what month and year will it expire?
I know it will last 20 years and can be renewed, but if not renewed, will it expire April, 2020 or February, 2021?
Thank you.
You really need to speak to a pro and not rely on random folks on the internet for such an important question.

Zigner

Anyone else?
Let's just say that someone came on here and said "definitely February 2021", so you then take that as gospel truth only to find out they were wrong. How does that help?

Talk to a local attorney who can review the specific facts surrounding your matter and give you well-informed legal advice.
Really.

zddoodah

Section 8.01-251 of the Code of Virginia provides as follows: "No execution shall be issued and no action brought on a judgment, including a judgment in favor of the Commonwealth and a judgment rendered in another state or country, after 20 years from the date of such judgment or domestication of such judgment, unless the period is extended as provided in this section."

I don't really understand what you mean when you say the judgment "was awarded in a Virginia General District Court [in] April[] 2000 and docket [sic] at the same county's Circuit Court [in] February[] 2001." Was the judgment entered by a general district court (a court of limited jurisdiction that only hears cases for $25k or less) or by a circuit court (a court of general jurisdiction)? I think you might be saying that the judgment was entered in a general district court and affirmed on appeal to the circuit court, but I'd rather not guess about that, so you should clarify because it may allow for a simple answer to your question. Also, most circuits in Virginia cover multiple counties.

doucar

Judgments entered in General District Court are filed with the circuit court in order to create a judgment lien. I would say without further research that the date the judgment was granted is controlling, unless it was in fact appealed to circuit court and affirmed there, then the date of judgment in the court of record (circuit) would apply. I do suggest you speak with an attorney licensed in Virginia as I have not practiced there in almost 20 years.

quincy

Virginia judgement.

Thank you.
Are you the judgment-creditor or the judgment-debtor? If you are the judgment-creditor, you should simply renew the judgment early.

Zigner

Are you the judgment-creditor or the judgment-debtor? If you are the judgment-creditor, you should simply renew the judgment early.
I think the OP is the debtor and hopes the creditor doesn't renew.

Just Blue

Section 8.01-251 of the Code of Virginia provides as follows: "No execution shall be issued and no action brought on a judgment, including a judgment in favor of the Commonwealth and a judgment rendered in another state or country, after 20 years from the date of such judgment or domestication of such judgment, unless the period is extended as provided in this section."

I don't really understand what you mean when you say the judgment "was awarded in a Virginia General District Court [in] April[] 2000 and docket [sic] at the same county's Circuit Court [in] February[] 2001." Was the judgment entered by a general district court (a court of limited jurisdiction that only hears cases for $25k or less) or by a circuit court (a court of general jurisdiction)? I think you might be saying that the judgment was entered in a general district court and affirmed on appeal to the circuit court, but I'd rather not guess about that, so you should clarify because it may allow for a simple answer to your question. Also, most circuits in Virginia cover multiple counties.
Thank you all for your input thus far.
More answers are welcome.
Please answer the question Zddoodah asked. Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">