• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expiration of Judgement in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And no good ones will be forthcoming unless you answer the questions you have been asked.
The OP is not going to REALLY know the answer without having a local attorney look at the entire matter. The OP may be given guidance on where to look for the answer, but s/he won't get an answer since the specific answer depends on the specific facts of the matter.

quincy

I'm a debtor. I'm simply confused about when the judgement expires.
So you can breathe a sigh of relief?

If the expiration of the judgment is important so that you can start acquiring assets, get a better paying job, or whatever, you are best served by having an attorney in your area look over the judgment.

PayrollHRGuy

The OP is not going to REALLY know the answer without having a local attorney look at the entire matter. The OP may be given guidance on where to look for the answer, but s/he won't get an answer since the specific answer depends on the specific facts of the matter.
Agreed but he may get better answers.

Zigner

The OP needs to look at the court file to make sure there was no extension filed & approved.

quincy

I'm a debtor. I'm simply confused about when the judgement expires.
Thanks for answering my question.

It has not been made clear in your first post what the two different dates indicate. For just a small fee, you can probably can find an attorney in your area willing to look over the court filings for you and give you a definitive answer. Even if you provide more information here, I am afraid we would still be giving you a guess at best.

Rick68

To everyone:

The first date is the date the judgement was awarded. The second date is the date it was docketed at the other court.
By doing so it extended the judgement from a duration of 10 years to 20 years.
I'm just uncertain regarding the starting date for the 20 years.
If any of you factually know and can provide me a source to support it I will appreciate it.

I realize I can ask an attorney. I realized that before posting here. I very well may do that. Thank you all for the suggestion.
At this point I'm asking here and hoping to get some food for thought which may enable me to have a better, more fruitful conversation with an attorney.

If anyone else would like to reply I will read it.

quincy

To everyone:

The first date is the date the judgement was awarded. The second date is the date it was docketed at the other court.

I realize I can ask an attorney. I realized that before posting here. I very well may do that. Thank you all for the suggestion.
At this point I'm asking here and hoping to get some food for thought which may enable me to have a better, more fruitful conversation with an attorney.

Why was it at “the other court?”

Zigner

To everyone:

If any of you factually know and can provide me a source to support it I will appreciate it.

"Hello, my name is Rick68"
"Hello, my name is Attorney-Betty. How may I help you?"
"I have here all of the information that is available from my case in civil court. Please tell me when the judgment will expire."
"Ok, for the low-low cost of $xxx, I can give you the definitive answer."
"That sounds like a bargain. This is much better than asking random folks on the internet to make a guess based on incomplete information. Thanks!"

It's really not rocket science.

quincy

"Hello, my name is Rick68"
"Hello, my name is Attorney-Betty. How may I help you?"
"I have here all of the information that is available from my case in civil court. Please tell me when the judgment will expire."
"Ok, for the low-low cost of $xxx, I can give you the definitive answer."
"That sounds like a bargain. This is much better than asking random folks on the internet to make a guess based on incomplete information. Thanks!"

It's really not rocket science.
And, if you replace “Attorney Betty” with “Legal Aid Clinic,” you could also replace $XXX with $XX or $X or FREE. :)

Zigner

And, if you replace “Attorney Betty” with “Legal Aid Clinic,” you could also replace $XXX with $XX or $X or FREE. :)
The OP could also ask at a law school if a 3rd-year would be able to assist.

EDIT: Of course, that may not be so easy, what with the Virus.

quincy

The OP could also ask at a law school if a 3rd-year would be able to assist.
There are a lot of options available. A free advice forum where we are restricted in what we can legally offer is probably not the best of the options.

zddoodah

Allow me to explain something. In Virginia, the general district court is a court that hears civil cases involving amounts in controversy up to $25k. Circuit courts, by contrast, hear cases of any amount. They also hear appeals from judgments entered by general district courts. There is no reason -- other than if an appeal was filed -- why a case from a general district court might get "docketed" in a circuit court.

Therefore, the question for you -- and it's a question you ought to be able to answer and which is important to providing you with information -- is why you had a case that resulted in a judgment in general district court but then was "docketed" in circuit court. Did you appeal the judgment? It's a very simple, yes/no question.

If you appealed the judgment, that has nothing to do with how long the judgment is enforceable, so the date of entry in general district court is the relevant date.

So...please go back to my prior response and answer the questions I asked and the the question I asked in this response. If you don't do that, then there's nothing more anyone here can do for you.

quincy

There probably is nothing of any real worth that anyone here can offer anyway. Anything said here would need to be verified by an attorney licensed to practice in Virginia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">