• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to report an income change while living in subsidized housing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reenzz

I don't, sadly. I've only recently applied and I haven't been assigned one yet. I could make an appointment with human services, but as far as I know the case worker would be random. I'm honestly terrified that I'd just be outing myself and getting the same punishment, but just speeding up the process. But I guess it has to be done? I have all the money set aside and waiting to be given back, I just wish there were a way to do it without incriminating myself.
How much money do you feel you owe?

DeenaCA

What kind of subsidized housing is it? Is it traditional public housing, the voucher program ("Section 8"), or assistance through HUD's multifamily programs? Let me now and I can give you an idea of where to find rules and policies pertaining to the program.

This kind of offense is not automatically cause for termination of assistance (but repayment will be required). As others have noted, you made it worse by certifying that you were not receiving cash aid. If you neglected to report an income change in a timely manner it could be assumed that you simply forgot, but it's more serious when you have made false statements.

For most HUD programs, the subsidized family share of rent is about 30% of "adjusted income." If you started to receive $200 per month in cash aid, your rent would increase approximately $60. So it's never a good idea to conceal income since you're expected to pay such a low percentage.

Is it likely I'll be arrested for this?
Highly unlikely if the amount is as low as you estimate. The local prosecutors usually have dollar thresholds for fraud charges.

is there any chance it could make a difference, or by some miracle I could work things out with the property managers
Depends upon the type of subsidized housing.

I'd recommend that you report the income right away to limit your financial liability as much as possible.

Semiotic

What kind of subsidized housing is it? Is it traditional public housing, the voucher program ("Section 8"), or assistance through HUD's multifamily programs? Let me now and I can give you an idea of where to find rules and policies pertaining to the program.
Hey, thanks so much, some immensely helpful information there. The housing assistance is through HUD. I went ahead and spoke to my apartment managers about it, I just really wanted to do some research about this beforehand since I had no idea what I was getting into. Turns out everything is fine, I just repaid the amount I owed them and went on my way, no legal action is going to be taken. Luckily my apartment managers are very fair, so they're also going to let me change my answer on the documents I filled out. Huge relief. Thanks for the good advice :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">