• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers and custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelizeBreeze

MissouriGal said:
Don't need statistics when you live it.

Is it so hard to believe that a mom could lose custody for reasons other than being unfit or giving up their children willingly? It happens all the time. I can give you the link to a website with over 400 NC mother members, and not all of us there were proven unfit or gave up custody willingly. As a matter of fact, NONE were proven unfit in a court of law at all.
I would have given you a little more credit for having some sense.

The comment made by lynne was personal opinion. And has no place without substantiation.

The question, as posted, was answered.

SITLYNNE

BelizeBreeze said:
Are you totally devoid of common sense. I was refering to your inane argument on personal opinion basis.

I happen to know the relevant statistics. Do YOU? :rolleyes:
Where are those statistics posted, the ones that say only 10 of 17 million fathers have custody? Please let me know.

SITLYNNE

BelizeBreeze said:

The comment made by lynne was personal opinion. And has no place without substantiation.

Personal opinion or not, I do not for a minute beleive the statistics you posted.

BelizeBreeze

37.9% of fathers have no access/visitation rights. (Source: p.6, col.II, para. 6, lines 4 & 5, Census Bureau P-60, #173, Sept 1991.)

and the figures for the lastest census are within 3 percentage points.

40% of mothers reported that they had interfered with the non-custodial father's visitation on at least one occasion, to punish the ex-spouse. (Source: p. 449, col. II, lines 3-6, (citing Fulton) Frequency of visitation by Divorced Fathers; Differences in Reports by Fathers and Mothers. Sanford Braver et al, Am. J. of Orthopsychiatry, 1991.)

"Overall, approximately 50% of mothers "see no value in the father`s continued contact with his children...." (Source: Surviving the Breakup, Joan Kelly & Judith Wallerstein, p. 125)

Only 11% of mothers value their husband's input when it comes to handling problems with their kids. Teachers & doctors rated 45%, and close friends & relatives rated 16%.(Source: EDK Associates survey of 500 women for Redbook Magazine. Redbook, November 1994, p. 36)

In a study: "Visitational Interference - A National Study" by Ms. J Annette Vanini, M.S.W. and Edward Nichols, M.S.W., it was found that 77% of non-custodial fathers are NOT able to "visit" their children, as ordered by the court, as a result of "visitation interference" perpetuated by the custodial parent. In other words, non-compliance with court ordered visitation is three times the problem of non-compliance with court ordered child support and impacts the children of divorce even more. Originally published Sept. 1992

66% of single mothers work less than full time while only 10% of fathers fall into this category. In addition, almost 47% of non-custodial mothers default on support compared with the 27% of fathers who default. (Source: Garansky and Meyer, DHHS Technical Analysis Paper No. 42, 1991).

Total Custodial Mothers: 11,268,000. Total Custodial Fathers 2,907,000 (Source: Current Population Reports, U.S. Bureau of the Census, Series P-20, No. 458, 1991).

The following is sourced from: Technical Analysis Paper No. 42, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Income Security Policy, Oct. 1991, Authors: Meyer and Garansky.

Custodial mothers who receive a support award: 79.6%
Custodial fathers who receive a support award: 29.9%
Non-custodial mothers who totally default on support: 46.9%
Non-custodial fathers who totally default on support: 26.9%

Now, be sure you come with more than that poor me crap when you want to argue with me.

As for the questions asked, they were answered as to the EXACT question.

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

FUTHERMORE:
(found under the damn cat)
7.8 million people provided a cumulative $40 billion in financial support to people living outside their household.

Approximately $24 billion was paid exclusively for child support.

84% of the child support providers were men and 16% were women.

76% of child support payments were court ordered.

Male providers were more likely to make the child support payment (80%) than female providers (55%).

38% of parents paying child support provided health insurance coverage or paid medical costs.

Male child support providers paid an annual median of $3,600 for support of their children, 50% more than was paid by female child support providers ($2,400).

(Source of Information: "Support Providers: 2002 - Household Economic Studies" conducted by U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, and U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005)

Whyte Noise

BelizeBreeze said:

And I would have given you more credit than to come back with a "so you have the statistics to back that up" comment. 74% of all statistics are made up on the spot, you know. ;)

No, it's not just personal opinion, it's fact. Women lose costody for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with being unfit or giving up custody willingly. Running out of money to fight a father is a valid reason, and one shared by more than just 10 women.

And yes, BB... I DO know the statistics, as it's what my book is about. Non-custodial mothers, society's perception of them, and separating the truths from the myths. I've researched it extensively, lived it daily for over 5 years, and hope to educate others. I don't dare dream to change someones mindset (that all NC moms have GOT to be ogres, drunks, druggies, abusers, neglectful, or selfish) but hopefully the ones without the blinders on will be able to see that... suprise!!.... we can get farked over too. :eek:

BelizeBreeze

AND FURTHERMORE:

Now, you have something more to put into your book.

In 2002, women received physical placement in 84.4% of the cases and men 15.6% (Source: U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005).

The most prevalent custody arrangement was the mother having both legal and physical custody (Source: U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005).

The second most common custody arrangement was joint legal custody between both parents with the mother having sole physical custody(Source: U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005).

Alaska (25.20.07), Iowa (598.41), Kansas (60-703), Okalahoma (110.1), Texas (153.317), and Wisconsin (767.24(4)(a)), have statute that directs the court to award joint physical placement (Source: State Legislation).

“Reports of the state's child-death review team over the past five years showed 16 children killed by fathers, 16 by live-in boyfriends and 15 by mothers” (Source: Steve Scott, executive director of Prevent Child Abuse Iowa).

States that award joint physical custody have noticed a reduction in the divorce rate. With joint physical custody, both social and economic motives for divorce are reduced, so parents considering divorce may simply decide it is easier to remain married. (Source: “Child Custody and Divorce Rates in the United States.” John Guidubaldi, D.Ed, of John Carroll University, and Kent State University and Richard Kuhn of the Children's Rights Council, Washington, D.C. October 23-26, 1997.)

Whyte Noise

BelizeBreeze said:
AND FURTHERMORE:

Now, you have something more to put into your book.

In 2002, women received physical placement in 84.4% of the cases and men 15.6% (Source: U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005).

The most prevalent custody arrangement was the mother having both legal and physical custody (Source: U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005).

The second most common custody arrangement was joint legal custody between both parents with the mother having sole physical custody(Source: U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005).

Alaska (25.20.07), Iowa (598.41), Kansas (60-703), Okalahoma (110.1), Texas (153.317), and Wisconsin (767.24(4)(a)), have statute that directs the court to award joint physical placement (Source: State Legislation).

“Reports of the state's child-death review team over the past five years showed 16 children killed by fathers, 16 by live-in boyfriends and 15 by mothers” (Source: Steve Scott, executive director of Prevent Child Abuse Iowa).

States that award joint physical custody have noticed a reduction in the divorce rate. With joint physical custody, both social and economic motives for divorce are reduced, so parents considering divorce may simply decide it is easier to remain married. (Source: “Child Custody and Divorce Rates in the United States.” John Guidubaldi, D.Ed, of John Carroll University, and Kent State University and Richard Kuhn of the Children's Rights Council, Washington, D.C. October 23-26, 1997.)
No I don't. I already have all of this :)

xKellyx

BelizeBreeze said:
AND FURTHERMORE:

ROFL! :D, I wonder sometimes if it would have been easier just to stay with my ex and deal with his stupidity, It would have probably been easier, but I'm still glad I dumped that burden!

SITLYNNE

MissouriGal said:
And I would have given you more credit than to come back with a "so you have the statistics to back that up" comment. 74% of all statistics are made up on the spot, you know. ;)

No, it's not just personal opinion, it's fact. Women lose costody for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with being unfit or giving up custody willingly. Running out of money to fight a father is a valid reason, and one shared by more than just 10 women.

And yes, BB... I DO know the statistics, as it's what my book is about. Non-custodial mothers, society's perception of them, and separating the truths from the myths. I've researched it extensively, lived it daily for over 5 years, and hope to educate others. I don't dare dream to change someones mindset (that all NC moms have GOT to be ogres, drunks, druggies, abusers, neglectful, or selfish) but hopefully the ones without the blinders on will be able to see that... suprise!!.... we can get farked over too. :eek:
Where are the statistics to show how the fathers want custody to get out of and then collect support themselves. How about PAS initiated by the father? Fathers who think mom should have no contact including medical and educational. I happen to live with that nightmare everyday, and I am a victim to my sons father, and our court system lets him get away with it because he can out money me anyday. That last statement he told the mediator in my case, which made absolutely no difference at all. He even decided to ask the DR office when he filed for support exactly how many calendar days/night can he allow the boys to sleep at my house before he loses his support. THE FATHER did this, not the mother. It happens all the time. If I had to quess, I think it is closer to about 1/4 of seperated families who are living my same nightmare.
I did not ask for you pity. This will always be my opinion and it is certainly personal because my sons were placed with their father due to money.

BelizeBreeze

SITLYNNE said:
Where are the statistics to show how the fathers want custody to get out of and then collect support themselves. How about PAS initiated by the father? Fathers who think mom should have no contact including medical and educational. I happen to live with that nightmare everyday, and I am a victim to my sons father, and our court system lets him get away with it because he can out money me anyday. That last statement he told the mediator in my case, which made absolutely no difference at all. He even decided to ask the DR office when he filed for support exactly how many calendar days/night can he allow the boys to sleep at my house before he loses his support. THE FATHER did this, not the mother. It happens all the time. If I had to quess, I think it is closer to about 1/4 of seperated families who are living my same nightmare.
I did not ask for you pity. This will always be my opinion and it is certainly personal because my sons were placed with their father due to money.
You still have NOT answred the question which was answered long before you started your diatribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

xKellyx

SITLYNNE said:

My thing about people trying to get kids for the money is, who really gets enough that covers the entire cost of having the child plus something a little extra for the parent?

It seems to me it would be cheaper to be a NCP and have pay a child support than to take care of the kid on a daily basis.

NotSoNew

MissouriGal said:
Don't need statistics when you live it.

Is it so hard to believe that a mom could lose custody for reasons other than being unfit or giving up their children willingly? It happens all the time. I can give you the link to a website with over 400 NC mother members, and not all of us there were proven unfit or gave up custody willingly. As a matter of fact, NONE were proven unfit in a court of law at all.
I would be interested in that website as well.

NotSoNew

BelizeBreeze said:
FUTHERMORE:
(found under the damn cat)
7.8 million people provided a cumulative $40 billion in financial support to people living outside their household.

Approximately $24 billion was paid exclusively for child support.

84% of the child support providers were men and 16% were women.

76% of child support payments were court ordered.

Male providers were more likely to make the child support payment (80%) than female providers (55%).

38% of parents paying child support provided health insurance coverage or paid medical costs.

Male child support providers paid an annual median of $3,600 for support of their children, 50% more than was paid by female child support providers ($2,400).

(Source of Information: "Support Providers: 2002 - Household Economic Studies" conducted by U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, and U.S. Census Bureau, released February 2005)
BB these are great stats, thank you for posting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">