• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dantarantado

What is the name of your state? WA

Divorce had been finalized. Final court order was signed by the judge.
It is stated in the final court order that my ex-husband agreed to grant the house to me and must sign the quit clam deed.

But now, he refuses to sign the quit claim deed and said that he would appeal. Is that even possible?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? WA

Divorce had been finalized. Final court order was signed by the judge.
It is stated in the final court order that my ex-husband agreed to grant the house to me and must sign the quit clam deed.

But now, he refuses to sign the quit claim deed and said that he would appeal. Is that even possible?
Why is he refusing...did he say?

adjusterjack

Yes, he can appeal but he has a limited amount of time and probably not liking the results of his agreement isn't going to be acceptable grounds.

Meantime, you can take him back to court for contempt and the judge will compel him to sign. Do that quickly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is there a mortgage on the property that he will remain responsible for? If yes, then I can understand his reluctance to sign a quit claim.

Reactions: t74

dantarantado

Is there a mortgage on the property that he will remain responsible for? If yes, then I can understand his reluctance to sign a quit claim.
Yes, it is stated in the court order that he should pay the mortgage since he is earning much more than I do.

LdiJ

Asking him to sign a quit-claim doesn't seem appropriate.
I agree that it seems inappropriate. However, he had to have agreed to it because its highly unlikely that a judge would have ordered something like that absent an agreement between the parties. He also might have agreed to it in lieu of alimony/spousal support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I feel he was a fool for agreeing to such a thing and I can understand why he's appealing. However, he's the one who agreed to it...

t74

What is your plan when he fails to pay the mortgage even if his name is off the title? If you are on it, the mortgage company doesn't care who pays. You can file for contempt, but he may not care if his credit rating is destroyed. Yours can be as well.

You should sell the house and move into something you can afford to pay for. I hope you do not share children.

It sounds like you received bad advice and he was foolish not to have his own attorney. You both need new attorneys, IMO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">