• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

He wanted to keep the house for our son.
So let HIM be the one to do so. It is foolish to limit your son's options for the future by tying him to an old house in a likely declining neighborhood (you mentioned it was relatively inexpensive.)

t74

It appears that your ex was taken advantage of by failing to consider the effects of being on the mortgage but not the deed. You were as well.

LdiJ

It appears that your ex was taken advantage of by failing to consider the effects of being on the mortgage but not the deed. You were as well.
Again, we don't know that him paying the mortgage wasn't in lieu of alimony...or in lieu of something else.

LdiJ

Paying the mortgage and being on the note with no ownership interest are two VERY different things.
No, but being on the note and paying the mortgage, with no ownership interest, could be in exchange for keeping other assets that he also didn't want to sell to give her, her share. We don't know anything at all about their property settlement other than the issue of the house.

PayrollHRGuy

One could still pay the note without being on it. It would actually be better for the OP to just have an order for a payment equal to the note if the op ever wants to move.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Guys and Gals, from what I read the ex husband SIGNED OFF on the agreement. I do not believe that someone can appeal an agreement that they signed off on.

I understand that he has buyer's remorse now, but unless I totally misunderstood what was posted by the OP, he DID sign off on it.
Does not matter. He can still appeal it. He could also do a 60(B) motion. There are a variety of things he could do. You don't know the law. Quit acting as if you have a clue.

t74

Being on the mortgage without being on the title is risky for BOTH parties.

OP is at risk if he decides NOT to pay the mortgage, And she is likely on it as well so he could trash her credit rating as well as his.

What happens if he dies?

He would likely find it difficult to obtain another mortgage.

IMO, both needed financial advisors before agreeing to the deal.

t74

Ha ha ha

If she is depending on him to pay the mortgage, she needs to take out a life insurance policy to pay it off. A decresing term should cover it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Ha ha ha

If she is depending on him to pay the mortgage, she needs to take out a life insurance policy to pay it off. A decresing term should cover it.
Many people who are represented by competent legal counsel during the divorce have it put in the decree that the party on the hook for some form of spousal support have a life insurance policy covering their obligation, with the other party of the divorce as a beneficiary.

(A trip down memory lane... https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/life-insurance.560214/ ...Bali Hai was amusing in his own bitter way.)

Last edited:

t74

Many people who are represented by competent legal counsel during the divorce have it put in the decree that the party on the hook for some form of spousal support have a life insurance policy covering their obligation, with the other party of the divorce as a beneficiary.

(A trip down memory lane... https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/life-insurance.560214/ ...Bali Hai was amusing in his own bitter way.)

I question whether either party had it given he had no representation and she seems to be left posting to this forum. U wish a "do over" were possible. Both would benefit. Unfortunately, they need to work with what they have now. I hope the custody and visitation is better defined than the property division.

dantarantado

Ok, so ex husband hasn't filed an appeal yet. Seems like he was just bluffing me. But then again, he still wouldn't sign the quitclaim deed. Final court order says he had until Aug 1 to sign the deed.
Lawyer said they can get like a "special master" appointed by the court, to sign the deed on behalf of my ex-husband. But it would cost me at least $3,000 to get it done. Is there any other way to do it without having to spend more $$?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">