• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding a random small court case online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warriormind556

Hey I have do a assignment for a class where I have to write about a small claim case recent in my state. Is it possible to find a case report online, such a list of cases?

quincy

Hey I have do a assignment for a class where I have to write about a small claim case recent in my state. Is it possible to find a case report online, such a list of cases?
What is the name of your state?

For your class, are you supposed to go to court to report on a small claims case?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No one here is going to do your homework for you. You have the same access to search engines that we all do.

If there is no information available on line then you'll have to go to court and sit in for a few hours, possibly longer.

quincy

Is this a high school class? Do you have a transportation issue that prevents you from attending a court hearing?

quincy

You might want to ask your teacher that question.

It is not that we don't want to help you, Warriormind, but your teacher would prefer that we don't.

Sorry.

FlyingRon

The answer is almost certainly no. Online records of court cases are usually limited to the very mechanical things: plaintiff name, defendant name, possibly any attorneys involved, and where and when they are scheduled. You won't even get the plaintiffs claims let alone any of the interesting parts of the case that your teacher wants you to experience.

No sonny, you're going to have to get off your butt and learn there is more to research than google and wikipedia.

quincy

Connecticut has available online a nice small claims search. It provides pleadings and motions and case summaries and court orders ... but to search you need to know a party's name, or a docket number, or an attorney juris number.

I think Warriormind's teacher probably wanted the students to actually go to court - less to have a case write-up and more for the experience of seeing how the court works.

Last edited:

HRZ

A day sitting in courtroom will be a far greater learning experience than reading a dry paper summary.

quincy

A day sitting in courtroom will be a far greater learning experience than reading a dry paper summary.
I agree - and I think that is probably what the teacher wanted for his students.

Warriormind will want to prepare for attending court by wearing good clothes (no tee shirts, no caps or hats) and he should leave his cell phone behind (not allowed in the courtroom). If he is an underage smoker, he should not carry his cigarettes or a lighter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">