• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GI Bill, Pell Grant, and Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haiku

I would like to know how we can determine someones court ordered and paid support is "too low" based JUST on the amount of children it is helping to support. I never find that particularly helpful "legal" advice.

nextwife

I would like to know how we can determine someones court ordered and paid support is "too low" based JUST on the amount of children it is helping to support. I never find that particularly helpful "legal" advice.
AGREED!

Personally, I think my income is "too low" based on my support responsibilities and expenses, but employers don't just pay us MORE because we have X number of kids to support and X dollars in expenses!

candg918

I appreciate the debate into my disability status as a veteran, however that was not part of the question. I was asking for help in determining if the GI bill could be considered income based on any known law.

Veterans disability is based on a percentage of overall injury. During my ten years of service I was injured and upon release from service and given a 60% disability rating. VA disability and Social Security Disability are two totally separate entities. The rating does not preclude someone from working, in fact the VA make it a priority to help disabled veterans find work or re-educate them to find new careers. But again, the meager amount that I receive from the VA is already included in the calculations and was not in question.

I believed this forum was intended to give help and advice to individuals in need. I am asking for that help and advice. This is not about evading the law or finding loopholes to keep from paying more support. This is about paying my fair share. If it was about lowering my support then I would have taken advantage of the 40% rule which would have lowered my support to $350 per month because the kids live with me for half of the year. I opted out of that because I know that amount is unrealistic. So please, if anyone has some solid advice on the GI bill, could you please let me know.

Respectfully,
Norman

Norman,

Some posters will criticize parents attending school for doing so rather than working a full time job. Many disabled individuals (not just vets) would be able to do a job in a field other than that they worked in prior to the disabling event at a comparable income with additional education. I mentioned the fact that VA has determined that you have a qualifying condition in order to justify your attendance at school as an essential element for consideration as you are not the typical individual trying to use furthering education as an excuse not to pay support.

It is quite apparent that you are going over and above what many (if not most) individuals would do with attending school and working a nearly full time job (some places 32 hrs/wk qualifies for full time benefits). Many people in similar situations would sit on their hands and do nothing using a disability as an excuse. But then again, you are a veteran; the strength of character within you that called you to serve means you are a exceptional individual. I would never suggest that you are trying to evade support; if you were doing so, you would be unemployed, sitting on your hands, feeling sorry for yourself and whining how life is unfair.

On Memorial Day it is particularly appropriate to thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Best of luck with your studies. I know when you graduate, your children will proudly be in the audience cheering your accomplishments.

LdiJ

I didn't say that his child support was "too low". I said it was kind of low for 3 kids. I meant on the general scale of things.

I wish someone here knew for sure whether or not the GI bill income could be included. I think we have safely ruled out the student loans and the Pell Grant.

haiku

I didn't say that his child support was "too low". I said it was kind of low for 3 kids. I meant on the general scale of things.

I wish someone here knew for sure whether or not the GI bill income could be included. I think we have safely ruled out the student loans and the Pell Grant.
LOL "kind of low"....based on what exactly to you come to this conclusion?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">