• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket (summons)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keda_P

You obviously are not responsible enough to ride a bike. The laws require you to follow them when you are on/in a vehicle (car, horse, bike, lawnmower, bar stool).
Really?
I am driving for over 20 years and I drove in many countries in Europe, Americas and Middle East.
I have never even gotten as much as a parking ticket in my life. So don't tell me that I'm not responsible.

Policemen are there to protect and serve... But what they are actually doing is trying to give certain amount of tickets to fill their quote.
Sometimes people need to be people. Obviously I made a mistake, but they could have helped me.
Instead I was heard "Show me your hands".
When I tried to explain myself... "Tell it to the judge".
Not so nice and not so helping.

Somehow I also see no compassion in this thread either ...
You guys re informative but harsh and sometimes even insulting.
I guess its the mentality or something.

Never mind.
Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
But what they are actually doing is trying to give certain amount of tickets to fill their quote.
Quota. That's the same old excuse everyone uses when they don't like getting punished for their mistake.

Instead I was heard "Show me your hands".
Which is very appropriate if your hands were not in view.

When I tried to explain myself... "Tell it to the judge".
Exactly. Police officers don't hold court out in the field and they're no required to listen to an excuse that they've heard hundreds of times before.

Keda_P

That's what I thought.
Thank you all for your replies.
I will let you know how it went so that others will have an idea.

HighwayMan

Criminal?
Lets hear it, what crime did I commit?
New York City Criminal Court Summons Appearance Part adjudicates some crimes, as well as violations of the Penal and other laws. Not all offenses are crimes.

However, if this offense is a misdemeanor, then it IS a crime.

Keda_P

New York City Criminal Court Summons Appearance Part adjudicates some crimes, as well as violations of the Penal and other laws. Not all offenses are crimes.

However, if this offense is a misdemeanor, then it IS a crime.
I see no answer there...
Is a violation of 103 c2 of park rules and regulations a crime?

HighwayMan

It's 1-03.

According to 1-07 of those same Rules and Regulations:

§1-07 Penalties
Any violation of these Rules other than Rule 1-04 (b)(1)(i) shall constitute a misdemeanor triable by the Criminal Court of the City of New York and punishable by not more than ninety days imprisonment or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by both, in accordance with § 533(a)(9) of Chapter 21 of the New York City Charter.

Keda_P

It's 1-03.

According to 1-07 of those same Rules and Regulations:

§1-07 Penalties
Any violation of these Rules other than Rule 1-04 (b)(1)(i) shall constitute a misdemeanor triable by the Criminal Court of the City of New York and punishable by not more than ninety days imprisonment or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by both, in accordance with § 533(a)(9) of Chapter 21 of the New York City Charter.
Its 1-03 like you have mentioned. Not 1-04.
What are you trying to do here?

Anyways, when I have initially asked my question this is the kind of reply I expected to see:
----------------
You get there and give your ticket at the entrance.
They may search you.
Then you wait in line.
Then groups of 5-6 people are called in.
Inside you have around 50 people sitting and waiting to be called.
They call a name and a person comes up
There is a public defender and a prosecutor standing.
Public defender will automatically speak for you.
Most of the cases get dismissed without the defendant even saying one word.
And you go home.
-----------------

Keda_P

EXACTLY - which means it's a misdemeanor (a crime.) If it were 1-04, then it would NOT be a misdemeanor.

But, hey, what do we know? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
He cited penalties for 1-07.
Whats going on?

By the way, Highway Man on another post said, and I quote : "OP was charged with "Failure to comply with directions/prohibitions on signs" (56 RCNY 1-03(c)(2)).

This is not a misdemeanor - it is a violation of the NYC Parks Department Rules and Regulations. It falls under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Control Board, NOT the Criminal Court.

Who issued this summons? NYPD or Park Enforcement?

The mail-in penalty to the ECB is $50 with a maximum fine of $100."
https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-government-administrative-law-matters-103/disobeying-park-sign-sec-1-03-sub-c2-570305.html

Last edited:

HighwayMan

In this case you were issued a criminal summons so the offense is a misdemeanor which is adjudicated by the Criminal Court.

Keda_P

In this case you were issued a criminal summons so the offense is a misdemeanor which is adjudicated by the Criminal Court.
Exactly my problem "you were issued a criminal summons" SO! "the offense is a misdemeanor" means that if a park official would see me go in the wrong way and give me his ticket or whatever, it wouldn't be a misdemeanor.
Shouldnt the penalty depend on what i did rather than on the person that "caught" me doing it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">