• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket (summons)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keda_P

Why do you think this is not a misdemeanor? What is your source?
This was my source at first : https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-government-administrative-law-matters-103/disobeying-park-sign-sec-1-03-sub-c2-570305.html
Highwayman's reply. But now he himself says otherwise.

Silverplum

Anyways, when I have initially asked my question this is the kind of reply I expected to see:
----------------
You get there and give your ticket at the entrance.
They may search you.
Then you wait in line.
Then groups of 5-6 people are called in.
Inside you have around 50 people sitting and waiting to be called.
They call a name and a person comes up
There is a public defender and a prosecutor standing.
Public defender will automatically speak for you.
Most of the cases get dismissed without the defendant even saying one word.
And you go home.
-----------------
You may pick up your refund at the door when you leave, taking your sadly deflated expectations with you.

Keda_P

Question

It depends upon what type of ticket is issued. That usually depends upon who issues it.
So, I have appeared in court on the date I was supposed to.
Today I have received a note where it says that my date was rescheduled for another date.
Any ideas what this means? They think that I did not appear?

Thanks.

quincy

Today I have received a note where it says that my date was rescheduled for another date.

Thanks.
It appears to mean that your court date was rescheduled.

JennK2009

Thanks.
What was the outcome of the court date that you were supposed to go to?

quincy

I got ACD and they have said that I am free to go and that there is no fine.
ACD stands for "adjournment in contemplation of dismissal." With an ACD, there is no admission of guilt, no conviction, no fines (although you could have been ordered to do community service) but your case remains open for 6 to 12 months (whatever the judge ordered).

When the 6 to 12 months passes, you must reappear in court to have your case dismissed and sealed. If you did not reoffend during the time since your arrest, then the scheduled hearing is probably for the formal dismissal of your case and the sealing of your record.

I suggest you contact the court to find out for sure.

Keda_P

ACD stands for "adjournment in contemplation of dismissal." With an ACD, there is no admission of guilt, no conviction, no fines (although you could have been ordered to do community service) but your case remains open for 6 to 12 months (whatever the judge ordered).

When the 6 to 12 months passes, you must reappear in court to have your case dismissed and sealed. If you did not reoffend during the time since your arrest, then the scheduled hearing is probably for the formal dismissal of your case and the sealing of your record.

Thank you so much for the reply. No I did not reoffend during this period... Riding a bicycle in the opposite direction was my first "offence" in 35 years.
Its just that I have heard that the dismissal of the case is an automatic procedure and that I do not have to go there again.
Thank you for clarifying it to me.

Keda_P

Interesting development... I called the court like you have suggested.
They claim that they do not see that I have to come.
And I can see it on one of the online sites that they have...
Totally weird. Woman said to call them day before the date and they will cancel it.

You Are Guilty

Thank you so much for the reply. No I did not reoffend during this period... Riding a bicycle in the opposite direction was my first "offence" in 35 years.
Its just that I have heard that the dismissal of the case is an automatic procedure and that I do not have to go there again.
Thank you for clarifying it to me.
ACDs in NYC are automatic - as long as you stayed out of trouble, there are no further court dates. You probably just had a clerk with fat fingers punch some weird info into the court's system.

quincy

ACDs in NYC are automatic - as long as you stayed out of trouble, there are no further court dates. You probably just had a clerk with fat fingers punch some weird info into the court's system.
Thanks for the correction, YAG.

Sorry for the misinformation, Keda. I am glad you called the court before making an unnecessary trip there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">