• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent visitation order question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PomegranateRed

What is the name of your state? Louisiana/Texas

An order was granted for grandparent visitation in Louisiana to my deceased husband’s mother in 2014. I believe she was given 8 hours a day once a week with a sleepover once a year in July. My kids, who didn’t really know her and don’t like her, never would go with her for that full amount of time. They’ve never made it 6 hours with her and an overnight has never happened. She never filed for contempt over this, even though she did not like it at all. She wrote emails to me, and my mother, but we were just honest with her that my kids has a laundry list for why they didn’t like her and we were already having a very hard time getting them to see her for even a few hours bc she would talk about inappropriate things, say ugly things about me, make them cry, leave them along in public, etc etc etc. She knew she wouldn’t look good going back to court with the way she was behaving (she already had to be warned about the way she handled her visits in court, she had one or two visits that went VERY poorly before the order was signed and involved her time being shortened and her given formal warnings). For 3 years we had to deal with these visits and it was miserable, the kids still hate her, etc. She was also given once a week phone calls, the kids refuse to either answer (actively hang up on her) or would refuse to say more than a word or two. Two year ago we moved to TX. The kids are now 12 and 13. Since then, we don’t come into Louisiana much. My mother has still been facilitating about 2 hour trips with her when we come in, but again- the kids HATE her and we’d all prefer to be done with her and stop the visits.

Do I have any recourse to just stop with the visits? Especially without going to court? I’d like to just...quit facilitating them/quit having them/not answer the phone, just be done with her. I don’t know if she would try to sue me, but I’m wondering since we moved to TX 2 years ago and she didn’t file anything on me then when visits were cut by more than 2/3 if by any chance the order is invalidated? The children are TX residents now so maybe that would invalidate it?

I don’t know- i just want to stop having visits or ever think of her again. She is really a terrible miserable person who lives to just mess with my kids - it’s NOT about building a decent relationship with kids who didn’t know her, it’s about trying to frustrate me through the kids- and I just want it to end.

If the order isn’t invalidated, how good of a chance do you think, on average, would one have with a judge if she a) never filed contempt on the cut off on visits and then the severe backscaling of visits when we moved to TX and if b) the kids are willing to go into court and say they do NOT want to see or speak with her anymore.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Louisiana/Texas

An order was granted for grandparent visitation in Louisiana to my deceased husband’s mother in 2014. I believe she was given 8 hours a day once a week with a sleepover once a year in July. My kids, who didn’t really know her and don’t like her, never would go with her for that full amount of time. They’ve never made it 6 hours with her and an overnight has never happened. She never filed for contempt over this, even though she did not like it at all. She wrote emails to me, and my mother, but we were just honest with her that my kids has a laundry list for why they didn’t like her and we were already having a very hard time getting them to see her for even a few hours bc she would talk about inappropriate things, say ugly things about me, make them cry, leave them along in public, etc etc etc. She knew she wouldn’t look good going back to court with the way she was behaving (she already had to be warned about the way she handled her visits in court, she had one or two visits that went VERY poorly before the order was signed and involved her time being shortened and her given formal warnings). For 3 years we had to deal with these visits and it was miserable, the kids still hate her, etc. She was also given once a week phone calls, the kids refuse to either answer (actively hang up on her) or would refuse to say more than a word or two. Two year ago we moved to TX. The kids are now 12 and 13. Since then, we don’t come into Louisiana much. My mother has still been facilitating about 2 hour trips with her when we come in, but again- the kids HATE her and we’d all prefer to be done with her and stop the visits.

Do I have any recourse to just stop with the visits? Especially without going to court? I’d like to just...quit facilitating them/quit having them/not answer the phone, just be done with her. I don’t know if she would try to sue me, but I’m wondering since we moved to TX 2 years ago and she didn’t file anything on me then when visits were cut by more than 2/3 if by any chance the order is invalidated? The children are TX residents now so maybe that would invalidate it?

I don’t know- i just want to stop having visits or ever think of her again. She is really a terrible miserable person who lives to just mess with my kids - it’s NOT about building a decent relationship with kids who didn’t know her, it’s about trying to frustrate me through the kids- and I just want it to end.

If the order isn’t invalidated, how good of a chance do you think, on average, would one have with a judge if she a) never filed contempt on the cut off on visits and then the severe backscaling of visits when we moved to TX and if b) the kids are willing to go into court and say they do NOT want to see or speak with her anymore.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Wow. You are deep doodoo...

1. The order doesn't go away because you do everything in your power to thwart it.
2. You will need an attorney to assist you in the civil contempt hearing so s/he might mitigate some of the damage you caused by totally disregarding the court ORDER.

PomegranateRed

Thanks for your opinion. Hopefully her lawyer can mitigate the laundry list of contempt I have against her also.

You didn’t answer, however, if you thought a judge would let the two kids (teens) subject to this situation a voice in the matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your opinion. Hopefully her lawyer can mitigate the laundry list of contempt I have against her also.

You didn’t answer, however, if you thought a judge would let the two kids (teens) subject to this situation a voice in the matter.
What contempt on her part?
The kids may be able to express their wishes, but the judge doesn't have to give any real weight to it, especially considering your toxicity towards the woman.

I'm NOT saying that your feelings are not warranted, just that your feelings are rubbing off on your children.

Is this your mom, or their dad's mom? (You mentioned both in your post)

Just Blue

I don't know the Judge so I can't speculate on what the Judge may allow. You can request either a childrens attorney be appointed or a GAL.

Just Blue

What contempt on her part?
The kids may be able to express their wishes, but the judge doesn't have to give any real weight to it, especially considering your toxicity towards the woman.

I'm NOT saying that your feelings are not warranted, just that your feelings are rubbing off on your children.

Is this your mom, or their dad's mom? (You mentioned both in your post)
It's paternal GM. Dad passed away.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is the part that threw me off, but I understand it now:
My mother has still been facilitating about 2 hour trips with her when we come in, but again- the kids HATE her and we’d all prefer to be done with her and stop the visits.
In other words, mom's mom is taking the kids to visit dad's mom on occasion when they're in town. (Too many pronouns for my small mind)

Just Blue

In other words, mom's mom is taking the kids to visit dad's mom on occasion when they're in town. (Too many pronouns for my small mind)
It was a confusing use of pronouns.

PomegranateRed

Oh no, they hate her on their own. She was really awful to them while their dad was dying and after.

Correct. My mom takes them to have visits w her while we are in town.

PomegranateRed

Other than a post from before the dad passed away, there are no other posts but this thread. It's obvious, though, that mom and dad/dad's family have had and continue to have a very poor relationship. Poor kids.
We actually weren’t even speaking to his mom when my husband was diagnosed w cancer. So we never had a good relationship w her even on the rare occasion we spoke to her at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">