• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun ownership rights in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Yes she just bought it and filled out the forms at the store I didn’t know there was a difference
When did she buy it?
Did she give it to you on your actual birthday (give or take a few days) ? If not how long after the purchase of the gun did you receive it?

PayrollHRGuy

Actually I WOULD be saying that, probably even more so. It's a few hundred dollars. That's MUCH better than keeping an ex around. There's a reason they're an ex...
I think you are answering this more from emotions rather than from a legal perspective.

It is a piece of personal property. If it was given as a gift it became his personal property. The OP asked about his legal right not relationship advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think you are answering this more from emotions rather than from a legal perspective.

It is a piece of personal property. If it was given as a gift it became his personal property. The OP asked about his legal right not relationship advice.
I addressed that in my first post and you're right. After the legality is answered, the rest comes in. It's not "emotional" advice, though, it's "practical" advice.

And honestly, I can see a vengeful ex causing enough problems over this that it becomes a legal matter with the OP on the short end of the stick. Think domestic violence matters...

PayrollHRGuy

Sounds like a birthday gift to me. Tell her to go away. If she sues you deal with her in court. It would most likely be small claims.

Also, do you have any reason to believe she has committed any crimes since she originally purchased the gun?

Last edited:

xylene

1. Keep it

2. Interesting question and not applicable to OP in TX, but: Does gun registration establish gun ownership, like some kind of title? I'm not sure that's so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1. Keep it

2. Interesting question and not applicable to OP in TX, but: Does gun registration establish gun ownership, like some kind of title? I'm not sure that's so.
In California the only way to transfer ownership of a firearm is through a properly licensed California firearms dealer.
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#14

Exempted from this are transfers between spouses, registered domestic partners, parents/children, grandparents/grandchildren, siblings, aunts/uncles and cousins.

ETA: There may be other exceptions, but those are the ones listed in that FAQ from the state. I seriously doubt that ex-gf/bf transfers are covered by any exceptions.

PayrollHRGuy

In California the only way to transfer ownership of a firearm is through a properly licensed California firearms dealer.
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#14

Exempted from this are transfers between spouses, registered domestic partners, parents/children, grandparents/grandchildren, siblings, aunts/uncles and cousins.

ETA: There may be other exceptions, but those are the ones listed in that FAQ from the state. I seriously doubt that ex-gf/bf transfers are covered by any exceptions.
This is not the case in Texas. Anyone can give/sell a gun to anyone legally able to own one.

That is why I asked if the the ex had any criminal history since the break up. If he knows of anything it would be illegal to give her the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">