• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERAUPIKE

ok i read and speak on a college level as informed to me by the state of Pennsylvainia and just because my spelling is not at its peak of perfection like all of the other normal peaple in the world does not mean i can't be tottaly be self relient! but i appreatiate all the help you guys are doing to help me but the fact that some peaple are judjing me based on my spelling IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes ill be able to support myself totally. And what if i can convince my Nana to willing and leagally emancipate me???????
Two out of three isn't too bad. Who needs to write anything anymore anyway? :rolleyes:

How do you suggest we judge you? You want to be emancipated but you lack the ability to even spell the word. Calling you Moose is likely a term of endearment. You should do some more research on abuse and what that really entails before you start this witch hunt in your family.

How do you plan to support yourself?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Two out of three isn't too bad. Who needs to write anything anymore anyway? :rolleyes:

How do you suggest we judge you? You want to be emancipated but you lack the ability to even spell the word. Calling you Moose is likely a term of endearment. You should do some more research on abuse and what that really entails before you start this witch hunt in your family.

How do you plan to support yourself?
While I don't disagree, a HUGE number of adults have atrocious spelling and grammar. I'm just sayin' ;)

NellieBly

ok i read and speak on a college level as informed to me by the state of Pennsylvainia and just because my spelling is not at its peak of perfection like all of the other normal peaple in the world does not mean i can't be tottaly be self relient!:mad::mad::mad: but i appreatiate all the help you guys are doing to help me;):):D:D:D but the fact that some peaple are judjing me based on my spelling IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes ill be able to support myself totally. And what if i can convince my Nana to willing and leagally emancipate me???????:confused::confused:

What can you do to support yourself?

Competition for jobs is very fierce and you are competing with those not subject to child labor laws.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I've called my daughter "Bear" since she was wee... because she used to growl like a bear when she was a baby and mad. Funniest thing. I also call her Bubba. Sometimes Goober.

NellieBly

I've called my daughter "Bear" since she was wee... because she used to growl like a bear when she was a baby and mad. Funniest thing. I also call her Bubba. Sometimes Goober.
I had a silly nickname when I was a kid and I treasure anyone who still calls me that.

codykid96

my mom lives close she lost us to drugs and being in an abusive relationship my dads in jail for back child support and gta and ileagle parking

codykid96

What can you do to support yourself?

Competition for jobs is very fierce and you are competing with those not subject to child labor laws.
well most likley ill get a part time job save up get a car save up some more get the heck outa there and moose is not a term of endearment trust me. cody(nana) pooperscooper(dad) those are terms of endearment given to me NOT moose and thank you guys for all the help

CSO286

ok i read and speak on a college level as informed to me by the state of Pennsylvainia and just because my spelling is not at its peak of perfection like all of the other normal peaple in the world does not mean i can't be tottaly be self relient!:mad::mad::mad: but i appreatiate all the help you guys are doing to help me;):):D:D:D but the fact that some peaple are judjing me based on my spelling IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes ill be able to support myself totally. And what if i can convince my Nana to willing and leagally emancipate me???????:confused::confused:
Ok, Honey, who do you live with? Nana or Mom? Who has legal custody of you?

And its isn't Nana's option to emancipate you, that is is something the courts decide.

And next, no, you don't have grounds for emancipation. Abuse (if real) is not a reason to be emancipated, it's actually a reason to call CPS and get family services, counselling, etc.....

And part of being totally self reliant means being able to obtain and maintain employment. If your resume and application are riddled will spelling/grammar errors, that is going to hinder your job search. This is something you need to make a conscious effort to work on.

Last edited:

CSO286

my mom lives close she lost us to drugs and being in an abusive relationship my dads in jail for back child support and gta and ileagle parking
So, you live with your Grandmother. And you were placed with her by the state when your mom lost you. This means that either the State (Child Services) or your grandmother has legal custody of you.

You are not in a position to become emacipated. You are still a child in need of additonal guidance and supervision due to the things you've already experienced. I'm not saying this to be mean.

So, here are your options:
1. If Grandmother is the one with legal custody of you and you are truly being abused, contact CPS, a school counselor, someone to get help.

2. If CPS has custody of you, contact your Child Services caseworker and tell him/her about the abuse (*ass*uming it is real).

Please notice how becoming emancipated is *NOT* on that list of options.

Last edited:

CSO286

Read this: http://legalaidocba.org/documents/Emancipation.pdf

This was published by the Legal Aid Society in FL.

Early emancipation usually occurs by court order. To obtain a court order:

1. The minor must be at least 16 years old.

2. A petition must be filed by the minor’s parent, guardian or guardian ad litem.

3. The petition must show the judge that the minor is independent and able to support himself and his child, if
he is parenting.

---He must either be supporting himself or have a specific plan.
---He can not be dependent on public benefits.

4. The petition must give the Judge reasons why the minor needs to be emancipated.

CSO286

The Controlling Statute

Florida Statute 743.015

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0743/SEC015.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0743->Section 015#0743.015

DOMESTIC RELATIONS Chapter 743

DISABILITY OF NONAGE OF MINORS REMOVED

743.015 Disabilities of nonage; removal.--

(1) A circuit court has jurisdiction to remove the disabilities of nonage of a minor age 16 or older residing in this state upon a petition filed by the minor's natural or legal guardian or, if there is none, by a guardian ad litem.

(2) The petition shall contain the following information:

(a) The name, address, residence, and date of birth of the minor.

(b) The name, address, and current location of each of the minor's parents, if known.

(c) The name, date of birth, custody, and location of any children born to the minor.

(d) A statement of the minor's character, habits, education, income, and mental capacity for business, and an explanation of how the needs of the minor with respect to food, shelter, clothing, medical care, and other necessities will be met.

(e) Whether the minor is a party to or the subject of a pending judicial proceeding in this state or any other jurisdiction, or the subject of a judicial order of any description issued in connection with such pending judicial proceeding.

(f) A statement of the reason why the court should remove the disabilities of nonage.

(3) If the petition is filed by the natural or legal guardian, the court must appoint an attorney ad litem for the minor child, and the minor child shall be brought before the court to determine if the interest of the minor will be fully protected by the removal of disabilities of nonage. The attorney ad litem shall represent the child in all related proceedings.

(4) If the petition is filed by the guardian ad litem or next friend, service of process must be perfected on the natural parents.

(5) If both parents are not jointly petitioning the court for the removal of the disabilities of nonage of the minor, service of process must be made upon the nonpetitioning parent. Constructive service of process may be used, provided the petitioning parent makes an actual, diligent search to discover the location of, and provide notice to, the nonpetitioning parent.

(6) The court shall consider the petition and receive such evidence as it deems necessary to rule on the petition. If the court determines that removal of the disabilities of nonage is in the minor's best interest, it shall enter an order to that effect. An order removing the disabilities of nonage shall have the effect of giving the minor the status of an adult for purposes of all criminal and civil laws of the state, and shall authorize the minor thereafter to exercise all of the rights and responsibilities of persons who are 18 years of age or older.

(7) The court shall consider the petition and, if satisfied that the removal of the disabilities is in the minor's best interest, shall remove the disabilities of nonage; and shall authorize the minor to perform all acts that the minor could do if he or she were 18 years of age.

(8) The judgment shall be recorded in the county in which the minor resides, and a certified copy shall be received as evidence of the removal of disabilities of nonage for all matters in all courts.

History.--s. 25, ch. 92-287; s. 5, ch. 93-230; s. 1064, ch. 97-102.

Note.--Former s. 39.016.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
well most likley ill get a part time job save up get a car save up some more get the heck outa there and moose is not a term of endearment trust me. cody(nana) pooperscooper(dad) those are terms of endearment given to me NOT moose and thank you guys for all the help
Sweetheart... a p/t job (at min wage, most likely) is NOT going to get you where you think you want to go - not before you're 18.

My oldest (who is now 20) has worked p/t jobs since he was 15 (two of them in the summer, so he effectively worked f/t for 3 mos). Making MORE than min. And it's a struggle for him to make it.

codykid96

thank you guys so much mabey i need to put a little more thouoght into this but its just i feel im ready you know i pretty much been doing it since i was 7
thank u so much

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Believe me - MOST 15yo's think they're ready to take care of themselves. And 99% of them are not. It's not as easy as you think it is.

CSO286

thank you guys so much mabey i need to put a little more thouoght into this but its just i feel im ready you know i pretty much been doing it since i was 7
thank u so much
Physically, your brain is not capable of making these kinds of adult decisions. The part of your brain that thinks things through and works through all those consequences? Yeah, in males, it's not fully developed until your early to mid twenties.

My daughter has been taking care of herself since around seven, too--her own laundry, cleaning around the house, getting up and ready for school, even cooking dinner and other meals. (At 11 now, she does a fantabulous chicken dinner....mmmm)

All that being said, the reason she can do all that is that the foundation is in place, someone (me) is backing her financially--there's detergent, food, clothes, etc all there. It's easy to be "responsible" when someone else is paying for everything. But when you add in a need to work to buy and provide all those foundation things (and then a car payment, insurance, tabs, gas, maintainance), all while still attending school? It's something a fifteen year old really isn't ready for. And with your history of abuse/neglect, it's not something a court's going allow you to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">