• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HI GUYS , I JUST GOT A TICKET THAT SPEED LIMIT , THE TICKET SAID ALLEGED SPEED: 42 MPH AND POSTED SPEED:40 MPH. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THESE MEAN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Going 42 in a 40 mph zone? Sounds like the officer who stopped you wrote down the wrong speed by mistake or, best case for you, it is a ticket that (potentially) can be dismissed.

Steven Vo

Going 42 in a 40 mph zone? Sounds like the officer who stopped you wrote down the wrong speed by mistake or, best case for you, it is a ticket that (potentially) can be dismissed.
but they gave me the ticket , and i may come to the court in 2 weeks :(( . this is my first time so i dont know what to do now

xylene

YOU GOT A TICKET FOR 2 MILES PER HOUR OVER THE LIMIT.

YOU ARE CONFUSED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

THAT MEANS YOU SHOULD HIRE A LAWYER TO DEFEND YOU.

YOUR DRIVING RECORD IS IMPORTANT. A CONVICTION WILL INVOLVE FINES AND EXPENSIVE INSURANCE PREMIUM INCREASE.

Steven Vo

YOU GOT A TICKET FOR 2 MILES PER HOUR OVER THE LIMIT.

YOU ARE CONFUSED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

THAT MEANS YOU SHOULD HIRE A LAWYER TO DEFEND YOU.

YOUR DRIVING RECORD IS IMPORTANT. A CONVICTION WILL INVOLVE FINES AND EXPENSIVE INSURANCE PREMIUM INCREASE.
what about this mean on officer supplied notes ? they wrote 58-565 . do you know what this mean

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Or he was given a roadside plea deal.

quincy

what about this mean on officer supplied notes ? they wrote 58-565 . do you know what this mean
On a brief look, I couldn't find anything about "58-565."

You can be ticketed in Houston for going 1-5 mph over the speed limit and you have to pay a fine for speeding, but a 1-5 over is a no-point infraction. And there are payment plans available for those unable to pay the fine in full.

I believe - but the police officers on this forum might know - that when speed is no more than 5 mph over the limit, it can be possible to successfully argue the accuracy of whatever was used to measure your speed.

I am surprised that you were stopped if the 2 over is accurate. Speedometers often naturally vary that much from car to car.

Steven Vo

On a brief look, I couldn't find anything about "58-565."

You can be ticketed in Houston for going 1-5 mph over the speed limit and you have to pay a fine for speeding, but a 1-5 over is a no-point infraction. And there are payment plans available for those unable to pay the fine in full.

I believe - but the police officers on this forum might know - that when speed is no more than 5 mph over the limit, it can be possible to successfully argue the accuracy of whatever was used to measure your speed.

I am surprised that you were stopped if the 2 over is accurate. Speedometers often naturally vary that much from car to car.
thanks very much for helping me , i just saw my fine now . so when i pay for them, i dont have to come to the court right? and they will cancel my ticket after that ?

quincy

thanks very much for helping me , i just saw my fine now . so when i pay for them, i dont have to come to the court right? and they will cancel my ticket after that ?
The Houston ticket I looked at said if you don't pay or resolve the ticket before your court date, you MUST appear in court on the court date.
https://www.houstontx.gov/courts/documents/sample-traffic-ticket.pdf

You need to check your ticket to make sure you don't have to pay at the court. You can call the court clerk to verify.

You do NOT want to miss your court date if you haven't paid before that date because a warrant can be issued for your arrest if you do and there will be all sorts of additional fines and fees added to the total you owe.

And it can be smart to contact an attorney in your area just to make sure you are doing what is necessary.

Good luck.

Steven Vo

The Houston ticket I looked at said if you don't pay or resolve the ticket before your court date, you MUST appear in court on the court date.
https://www.houstontx.gov/courts/documents/sample-traffic-ticket.pdf

You need to check your ticket to make sure you don't have to pay at the court. You can call the court clerk to verify.

You do NOT want to miss your court date if you haven't paid before that date because a warrant can be issued for your arrest if you do and there will be all sorts of additional fines and fees added to the total you owe.

And it can be smart to contact an attorney in your area just to make sure you are doing what is necessary.

Good luck.
i see in the instructions , i can pay it online

quincy

i see in the instructions , i can pay it online
If you do not think there is any mistake on your ticket and if you do not want to fight the ticket, then a pay-online option can be easy and convenient.

I would still call the court to verify the information on your ticket prior to paying - and you can ask about the 58-565 notation at that time too.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">