• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home school or online school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthomas42

As a teacher, I can tell you that a socially-distanced classroom will be nothing like in-person school before the pandemic. All of the actions that made me a good teacher will not be able to be utilized. I cannot sit next to a student to explain anything. I cannot hold learning groups. No more one-on-one discussions at my desk. I am expected to stand behind a wall of plexiglass and lecture with a mask on...which will be no more effective than online learning. The difference is that with online learning, there is no chance of dying.

That said, I will not be returning to the classroom this year. I am lucky enough to have accumulated nearly a years' worth of sick time. I know many other teachers who will not be returning, either. So even schools who think they have a hybrid plan set...really have no idea how many teachers will come back to teach this way.
thank you for your response

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
IMO, parents who can keep their kids home (either via homeschool or remote learning) should. Simply to leave in-person slots open for those who need them and to keep the teachers/students present as safe as possible.

bcr229

As a teacher, I can tell you that a socially-distanced classroom will be nothing like in-person school before the pandemic. All of the actions that made me a good teacher will not be able to be utilized. I cannot sit next to a student to explain anything. I cannot hold learning groups. No more one-on-one discussions at my desk. I am expected to stand behind a wall of plexiglass and lecture with a mask on...which will be no more effective than online learning.
My daughter will be a high school sophomore and she wants to go back. I did explain that the classes and structure would not be the same, she would be in the same classroom all day, lunch would be in the classrooms, very little interaction with her friends, etc. She doesn't care. There is no one in our household who is high risk so she is going.

That said, I've also been reviewing algebra I and geometry with her all summer as she's going into algebra II and she was short-changed on those classes, two years ago by the teacher's strike, and last year by COVID. She claims I'm tougher than the teachers so that may have factored into her decision... :unsure:

dthomas42

IMO, parents who can keep their kids home (either via homeschool or remote learning) should. Simply to leave in-person slots open for those who need them and to keep the teachers/students present as safe as possible.

dthomas42

My daughter will be a high school sophomore and she wants to go back. I did explain that the classes and structure would not be the same, she would be in the same classroom all day, lunch would be in the classrooms, very little interaction with her friends, etc. She doesn't care. There is no one in our household who is high risk so she is going.

That said, I've also been reviewing algebra I and geometry with her all summer as she's going into algebra II and she was short-changed on those classes, two years ago by the teacher's strike, and last year by COVID. She claims I'm tougher than the teachers so that may have factored into her decision... :unsure:

dthomas42

In your opinion, who are those who need the slots?

t74

In your opinion, who are those who need the slots?
#1 - students who receive supplemental services for disabilities that have not been available in their homes

#2 - students who would be at risk home alone; young children who would be left alone since adults in household must work or are "essential workers" in the community (some of these may be in day care but the day care is unable to provide academic assistance for distance learning)

#3 - students whose families are unable or unwilling to provide the assistance needed by the child in a distance learning environment even though there may be adults present during the distance learning time

dthomas42

Special Needs kids. Kids whose parents have no option to work from home.

Since you've provided no details, no clue how your kid(s) fit those criteria.
[/QUOTE

thank you for your response. There are no special needs kids. We are both essential workers.

dthomas42

#1 - students who receive supplemental services for disabilities that have not been available in their homes

#2 - students who would be at risk home alone; young children who would be left alone since adults in household must work or are "essential workers" in the community (some of these may be in day care but the day care is unable to provide academic assistance for distance learning)

#3 - students whose families are unable or unwilling to provide the assistance needed by the child in a distance learning environment even though there may be adults present during the distance learning time
Thank you. Good points.

t74

How are you currently handling child care? Have you had any concerns?

Have you been participating in your school districts parent information sessions? How comfortable are you with their proposals for the various options? What were your ecperiences last year if your schools went to distance learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">