• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i go about getting my sister out of a skilled nurseing facility after a stroke when her daughter wants to leave her there?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

The OP has explained that the sister cannot walk and can barely talk.
There is more involved than that. Can she feed herself? Can she bathe herself if someone helps her in and out of the tub? Can she get around in a wheelchair on her own (electric maybe) or does she need to be pushed? My grandfather was almost nonverbal and got around very slowly with a cane (after a period of time), but he could feed himself, and handle the bathroom with just a little help. He would have been OK in a wheelchair too but he didn't want one.

I also have a friend who started out unable to walk or talk, but within a few months of therapy, she was back to being able to live on her own.

Exactly where her sister is at, depends on whether or not she can reasonably care for her sister, and her sister's prognosis going forward is also a major factor. The majority of stroke victims improve greatly over time. Only the worst cases don't improve.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And, my Dad, for many years could handle all of his daily needs - showering, dressing, etc. It was only the last six months or so that he needed serious assistance to get out of bed, into the wheelchair, onto the commode. He could feed himself and talk, but the rest? Unless you've been a FT caregver, it's hard to understand what's involved, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">