• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how does this custody case look?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Anybody else having problems with the edit function?

Anyway, since I could not edit, I just wanted to say oops, I got that wrong on the above post, they used to be home schooled.

Just Blue

Anyway, since I could not edit, I just wanted to say oops, I got that wrong on the above post, they used to be home schooled.
Let me see....

ETA...Seems to be fine!!

bluedaffodils

I hope OP also gives her son some credit for standing up to dad's repeated asking of highly inappropriate questions ;)
Didn't want anything more than to tell him thank you. But he has gotten in trouble many times for defending me. Besides, he did not mean for me to hear that, he was speaking in a hushed voice. Passed through the kitchen, that's why I heard it. And I don't want them to feel like it is their responsibility to protect me from him. It is not, in my opinion.

And dad flatly denies that he ever asks kids anything about me at all, and told me that the kids are liars.

bluedaffodils

Yes, they were home schooled :)
They have been going to school since this past August though. I couldn't sustain my night job and have enough energy and focus for homeschooling. I just did it for the last few months of the previous year. We made it though somehow.
I did mention in my original post that I want to move because the schools are terrible.

I have them in a charter, but there is no bus. It is only till 8th anyway.

bluedaffodils

I apologize in advance if this question was already answered in relation to the rest of my posts and I missed it.

I filed a motion for modification of support, based on invalid deviation (because of change in circumstances = I did not relocate).
Dad filed response to motion, saying my calculation is incorrect, because he wants 50/50 custody.

Are these not two cases? Would he not have to file a separate motion to modify child custody, and is that not restricted by the 2 year ban on changes on the decree?

I recognize that they are related of course, but does the court not treat them (somewhat) separately?

How have the circumstances changed at all? The decree says mother MAY relocate, but it says she SHALL have sole custody. It does not put conditions on it. It also says father SHALL have 30 days visitation to be requested in writing. I did not HAVE to relocate. I know there is an assumed condition in there about the sole custody.

Do decrees ever get overturned because of sketchy language?

Also, does it make any difference to the court that I did indeed intend to relocate. First step was to get their birth certificates fixed. I have borne these three kids, yet my name is WRONG on all three of the certificates, because dad got to decide what to put on it, and he did not like my maiden name. So my maiden name is nowhere on there. This is part of the control he had over me. Anyway, after that, I made appointments with the consulate, and flew there with the kids, to get the paperwork taken care of. I was not able to, and in the meantime, money was running out, because the support order had changed, because they had given me only 2 months to pack up and leave.

So I tried and found a job. With the job, I thought it best to wait until the schoolyear was over, so that the kids could have a summer to adjust to a new life in a new country. And then with the job came the realization that I was indeed free and could provide for the kids and myself, and not be controlled any longer, so I changed my mind and decided to stay. There was also the hope that he would get better and the kids could have a dad as well. I did not expect him to help with the the daily living responsibilities, that is not his culture. But at least they would be able to see him.
I have proof of these things. Appointments, applications to get birth certificates fixed etc.
What I am saying is, this was not some elaborate hoax by me, as dad has been saying to everyone.

thank you all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">