• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much will i pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyandi

How to determine alimony and equity?

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My wife and i have been married 15 years. I had a one night stand, and confessed to her, and want her back but she doesnt want me back. We have no kids, i make 40k a year, she works part time making $7 per hour. She also recieves 11k per year from her parents trust fund. How much of the home equity should i recieve (house worth 150k). Her parents did give us her great grandmothers home about 12 year ago, it was worth 75k at the time, but since we have built equity. Also, how much ALIMONY will i have to pay her? Should she work full time? I am paying per 1000k per month right now.
One last question, will the judge or lawyer take into consideration she receives 11k from a trust fund? would that be included in her $7 per hour for her total income per year?

Last edited:

LdiJ

tyandi said:

My wife and i have been married 15 years. I had a one night stand, and confessed to her, and want her back but she doesnt want me back. We have no kids, i make 40k a year, she works part time making $7 per hour. She also recieves 11k per year from her parents trust fund. How much of the home equity should i recieve (house worth 150k). Her parents did give us her great grandmothers home about 12 year ago, it was worth 75k at the time, but since we have built equity. Also, how much ALIMONY will i have to pay her? Should she work full time? I am paying per 1000k per month right now.
One last question, will the judge or lawyer take into consideration she receives 11k from a trust fund? would that be included in her $7 per hour for her total income per year?
You really need to get yourself a consult with a local attorney....your situation isn't simple and you need better advice than what you can receive on an internet message board.

However, if the house was an inheritance or gift, and the deed is in her name only...then you may not be entitled to anything there....or you may...you really need an attorney to sort it out.

BelizeBreeze

tyandi said:

My wife and i have been married 15 years. I had a one night stand, and confessed to her, and want her back but she doesnt want me back. We have no kids, i make 40k a year, she works part time making $7 per hour. She also recieves 11k per year from her parents trust fund. How much of the home equity should i recieve (house worth 150k).
50%
Her parents did give us her great grandmothers home about 12 year ago, it was worth 75k at the time, but since we have built equity. Also, how much ALIMONY will i have to pay her?
Alimony is not a given.
Should she work full time?
That is not a legal question
I am paying per 1000k per month right now.
Unless it's for the children stop.
Yes, if YOUR attorney brings it up in the negotiations.

Bali Hai

nextwife said:
Like he said, STOP.
Agreed, STOP.

However, I didn't pay my ex anything until the judge ordered it in the decision on my case. And then the judge made a big deal about me not paying her support during the time of commencement and the dissolution of the marriage.

I feel this is one reason he whacked me with a rediculous amount of alimony in the final decree. Just my experience.

tyandi

Adultery, i still get 50% of the house? (BELIZEBREEZE)

NC - BelizeBreeze, you said that i would recieve 50% of the house, but would that be true since i committed adultery? And the original house 12 years ago was gifted to us? The house is in both of our names.
And why would Alimony not be awarded since i did commit adultery?
Please respond.

Thx.

Doji

North Carolina is a no fault state and shouldn't play apart in it. Lucky you. I would say you are entitled to 50% of both houses.

BelizeBreeze

tyandi said:
NC - BelizeBreeze, you said that i would recieve 50% of the house, but would that be true since i committed adultery? And the original house 12 years ago was gifted to us? The house is in both of our names.
And why would Alimony not be awarded since i did commit adultery?
Please respond.

Thx.
Adultry has nothing to do with property settlement. If your name is on the deed then you have property rights to assert during the property distribution negotiations. PERIOD.

Also, adultery has nothing to do with alimony. Alimony is intended to put the party requesting such, in a 'whole' position as if they were before the marriage. It is NOT a penalty to pay for actions DURING the marriage.

While no one can tell you IF you will have to pay alimony or not, the fact that she is receiving $11,000 a year plus her salary and 1/2 of the marital assets (at a minimum) will weigh in the decision.

My opinion has not changed.

tyandi

I have written an agreement but not signed

NC - Let me throw one last piece of the puzzle, i agreed to give her the house totally, i even wrote up a note on paper telling her she could have the home, but we have not signed it or dated it. Would that be used against me? even though it wasnt signed? Would that hold up in court?
Stupid me!!

Let me know.

BelizeBreeze

tyandi said:
NC - Let me throw one last piece of the puzzle, i agreed to give her the house totally, i even wrote up a note on paper telling her she could have the home, but we have not signed it or dated it. Would that be used against me? even though it wasnt signed? Would that hold up in court?
Stupid me!!

Let me know.
It's toilet paper. Use it appropiately.

tyandi

BelizeBreeze

BelizeBreeze, you have been so much help. Can i pay you!!!!

You give great direct advice.

Much thanks,

T

Doji

DON'T BE A "NICE GUY" WITH THE PROPERTIES. It WILL come back and haunt you. Stand your ground because this seems very early on. Good luck, my friend

tyandi

Good point

I just want her back in my life, and i thought this would help. But she may never be able to forgive me. I am trying to do the "Moral" thing, but i also have worked for 15 years and deserve something right????
I love her very much, i just wish she would see what i am willing to give to her, but she doesnt.

Thanks for your advice, I am too nice.

Doji

A good marriage counselor might be able to help you. Getting her to go may be tough, in the frame of mind she's in, but worth a shot if it could save your marriage. But don't give in on anything in the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">