• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much will i pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pty

BelizeBreeze said:
Also, adultery has nothing to do with alimony. Alimony is intended to put the party requesting such, in a 'whole' position as if they were before the marriage. It is NOT a penalty to pay for actions DURING the marriage.
In NC, where adultery is still a crime, it does have an effect on alimony.

North Carolina Statutes 50-16.3A.

If the court finds that the supporting spouse participated in an act of illicit sexual behavior, as defined in G.S. 50-16.1A(3)a., during the marriage and prior to or on the date of separation, then the court shall order that alimony be paid to a dependent spouse.

Of course, it works the other way too. If the dependant spouse commits adultery, then she (or he) is not awarded alimony.

These are not 'hidden' laws. If you live in NC and watch the local news or read the newspaper, you know these laws exist. That's why most people in NC get divorced first or they at least go to extreme measures to hide the affair.

As has been stated many times, you need to speak with a local attorney. I've seen cases of divorces that involved adultery, and it has not been pretty.

Please come back and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

pty said:
In NC, where adultery is still a crime, it does have an effect on alimony.

North Carolina Statutes 50-16.3A.

If the court finds that the supporting spouse participated in an act of illicit sexual behavior, as defined in G.S. 50-16.1A(3)a., during the marriage and prior to or on the date of separation, then the court shall order that alimony be paid to a dependent spouse.

Of course, it works the other way too. If the dependant spouse commits adultery, then she (or he) is not awarded alimony.

These are not 'hidden' laws. If you live in NC and watch the tv news or read the newspaper, you know these laws exist. That's why most men in NC get divorced first or they at least go to extreme measures to hide the affair.

As has been stated many times, you need to speak with a local attorney. I've seen cases of divorces that involved adultery, and it has not been pretty.

Please come back and let us know what happens.
what adultery?

tyandi

Yes, there was adultery

Belizebreeze, i did committ adultery. I have been pleading to get her back, begging for forgivness, offered her the home but nothing is working. I am assuming then that i will have to pay alimony. If she makes $11,000 tax free from a trust fund, (parents are millionairs) she gets money throughout the year in addition to that, and makes $16,000 per year ($27,000 total) and I make $40,000 per year what does that mean for alimony?

BelizeBreeze

tyandi said:
Belizebreeze, i did committ adultery. I have been pleading to get her back, begging for forgivness, offered her the home but nothing is working. I am assuming then that i will have to pay alimony. If she makes $11,000 tax free from a trust fund, (parents are millionairs) she gets money throughout the year in addition to that, and makes $16,000 per year ($27,000 total) and I make $40,000 per year what does that mean for alimony?
I am going to tell you the exact same thing your attorney will tell you once you hire one, because this is going to divorce court.

"KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!"

Now, what adultery?

tyandi

Lets say i did

Lets say i did committ adultery (And i did), again how would a judge look at her 27K (soon to recieve more K during the year) versus my 40K in determining how much alimony? Right now I am paying her 1000 per month out of the kindenss of my heart.

Doji

There's a difference between being a nice guy and being self destructive. You need to talk to an attorney immediately, before you bury yourself. You are in the Bible Belt, things a little different up here in the blue states. Really, you got some good advice from the other posts, listen to them.

BrunoS

1) Keep mouth shut
2) talk to several attorneys before you hire one
3) looks like divorce is sure
4) adultrey is a deal killer...but very hard to prove. remember this.
5) given the income numbers, she will be told to work more, you will have to give her some support for some years, and then it's over and done with.

Based on your income and hers, support should not be that much.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">