• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to reject discovery questions? I requested a DNA test, which wasn't yet done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas47

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hello,

I am a male, and I was recently sued by my ex female girlfriend "Amended complaint for custody, child support, and other relief".
I have filed the first part, declaring that I was not sure about the child father. I could be the father, I maybe not. I have requested the court to provide a DNA test to determine paternity.

Now I am looking at 30 discovery questions, however I don't want to provide any information until the DNS tests confirms the paternity.

I have 30 days to turn in the discovery questions. Can I reply to those questions, that I am not providing requested information until the DNA tests confirms paternity?

Otherwise, what would you suggest?

It seems unreasonable for me to provide private and financial information without knowing for sure if I am the biological father. (I haven't sign any papers about the paternity of the child).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas47

I would suggest that you, at the very least, speak with an attorney.
This forum is named freeadvice.com, I am here to ask for a free suggestion from the community. I am consulting laywers, but I am looking to find answers and opinions from few different users. I won't proceed after consulting with only 1 lawyer, I am researching my best options before I waste time and money.

Zinger? Beside contacting a lawyer, do you have any useful information for my case?

I find your answer not welcoming to users asking for advice within FreeAdvice.com

quincy

File for an extension.

But I would consult with a lawyer in your area. Zigner offered you the best advice.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

And the answer is: we haven't seen the questions. We don't have the request for discovery. We don't have a dispassioned view of the circumstances. In this case, we can't answer. A lawyer (that you are directly dealing with) is required.

The "Free" advice other than to find an attorney is that unless the questions dive into something that is clearly intended to be prejudicial or is somehow privileged information, you have to answer.

quincy

The court can consider a defendant's motion to extend the discovery deadline.

I don't think it unreasonable to want the paternity test results before disclosing personal information.

This would not be "rejecting" the discovery questions, though.

But for something as serious as this, it is foolish to not have an attorney helping every step of the way.

Thomas47

I don't think it unreasonable to want the paternity test results before disclosing personal information.

But for something as serious as this, it is foolish to not have an attorney helping every step of the way.
Thanks for the informative response. What would be the proper way of requesting a discovery deadline extension? Is there a particular form I need to download in the MD gov website??

I found related information, but I don't see any form to download
https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Document/N41C807309CEA11DB9BCF9DAC28345A2A?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Thomas47

Sure, a lawyer is the best option, but it's very costly. Before hiring a lawyer, it's foolish not to research ahead, and be prepared before calling a lawyer. Not sure about you, but some lawyers take advantage of ignorance, and I am not into those games. If I had a good income, I wouldn't mind paying and tipping a lawyer. What's more foolish? The customer that research information before calling a lawyer, or the customer that blindly calls a lawyer?

quincy

Sure, a lawyer is the best option, but it's very costly. Before hiring a lawyer, it's foolish not to research ahead, and be prepared before calling a lawyer. Not sure about you, but some lawyers take advantage of ignorance, and I am not into those games. If I had a good income, I wouldn't mind paying and tipping a lawyer. What's more foolish? The customer that research information before calling a lawyer, or the customer that blindly calls a lawyer?
I'm sorry. I cannot tell you what form to use - or even if filing for an extension is the wisest thing for you to do.

If I were in your position, I think I would find an attorney licensed to practice in my own jurisdiction who has access to all of the facts and let the attorney advise and guide me. ;)

I know money is always a problem when discussing attorneys. If you have a law school in your area, there might be a legal aid clinic filled with eager-to-help law students you can visit or a benevolent law professor you can find who takes an interest in your current plight.

I think you have a legitimate concern.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The funny thing is that all I suggested is that the you, at the very least, speak to an attorney. I didn't suggest that you retain said attorney. You could pay a couple of hundred buck for an attorney to see what you received and give you guidance on what form to file. Those things go beyond the scope of this (or any) internet forum.

Your response to my suggestion is enough to show that one of the worst things that you can do for your case is to try to handle it by yourself.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Can I reply to those questions, that I am not providing requested information until the DNA tests confirms paternity?
Of course you CAN, the question really is "should" you? A lawyer who can review the questions will be better able to answer that question.

Thomas47

I disagree with most of the replies. This is a freeAdvice forum, most of you redirect to a lawyer. People that wants a free advice, need help from people willing to give free advices.

A lawyer is the best option, but I don't have the ability to pay $250 per hour, nor willing to pay 1h, unless I gather information prior wasting money and time.

You guys, unwilling to provide free advice, please find a paid-Advice forum, where you can simply answer: my advice for you it's to contact a lawyer.

Seriously, you are in the wrong website. If you are unwilling to give free advices, go somewhere else.

There is no need to read discovery questions about personal financial information.

I linked a form, no one replied, id the form the correct form to extend the discovery deadline? You are so greedy that you can't even direct users to fill a form themselves.

Definitely, you all are ruining the customer experience seeking free advice (beside 'hey, consult a lawyer, that's my free advice!')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">