• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to reject discovery questions? I requested a DNA test, which wasn't yet done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eerelations

I disagree with most of the replies. This is a freeAdvice forum, most of you redirect to a lawyer. People that wants a free advice, need help from people willing to give free advices.

A lawyer is the best option, but I don't have the ability to pay $250 per hour, nor willing to pay 1h, unless I gather information prior wasting money and time.

You guys, unwilling to provide free advice, please find a paid-Advice forum, where you can simply answer: my advice for you it's to contact a lawyer.

Seriously, you are in the wrong website. If you are unwilling to give free advices, go somewhere else.

There is no need to read discovery questions about personal financial information.

I linked a form, no one replied, id the form the correct form to extend the discovery deadline? You are so greedy that you can't even direct users to fill a form themselves.

Definitely, you all are ruining the customer experience seeking free advice (beside 'hey, consult a lawyer, that's my free advice!')
OP, we are all long-term responders on this website and as a result we probably know a lot more about how this website should function than you do. And since us long-term responders outnumber you, it may be more sensible if you find yourself a website that you like better, rather than us leaving en masse simply on the say-so of someone who's only been here once. Just a (polite) suggestion.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I disagree with most of the replies. This is a freeAdvice forum, most of you redirect to a lawyer. People that wants a free advice, need help from people willing to give free advices.

A lawyer is the best option, but I don't have the ability to pay $250 per hour, nor willing to pay 1h, unless I gather information prior wasting money and time.

You guys, unwilling to provide free advice, please find a paid-Advice forum, where you can simply answer: my advice for you it's to contact a lawyer.

Seriously, you are in the wrong website. If you are unwilling to give free advices, go somewhere else.

There is no need to read discovery questions about personal financial information.

I linked a form, no one replied, id the form the correct form to extend the discovery deadline? You are so greedy that you can't even direct users to fill a form themselves.

Definitely, you all are ruining the customer experience seeking free advice (beside 'hey, consult a lawyer, that's my free advice!')
We're SO greedy that we suggest you consult with a professional? Did you read the ToS that states the majority of members are consumers, like you? Who have learned enough to know when a situation is outside of our ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

There is enough misunderstanding of the law that it seems even smarter that Thomas find himself a lawyer in his area to help him.

I think Thomas has a legitimate reason for not answering discovery questions that delve into his financial health until he knows the results of the paternity test. But he does not want to just blow off the discovery deadline waiting for these results without court approval.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There is enough misunderstanding of the law that it seems even smarter that Thomas find himself a lawyer in his area to help him.

I think Thomas has a legitimate reason for not answering discovery questions that delve into his financial health until he knows the results of the paternity test. But he does not want to just blow off the discovery deadline waiting for these results without court approval.
Yes, paternity should be legally established before child support is determined.

I wonder if there is a default judgement somewhere on the paternity issue. I also wonder if Thomas really has good reason to suspect that he's not the father.

Just Blue

Yes, paternity should be legally established before child support is determined.

I wonder if there is a default judgement somewhere on the paternity issue. I also wonder if Thomas really has good reason to suspect that he's not the father.
*child support papers were served

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
*child support papers were served*
Which is why I suspect legal paternity was somehow established without DNA, by default.

I wonder if Thomas blew off responding to something, figuring, "There's no proof I'm the father, so I don't have to show up."

Isn't that the logical route? Establish paternity, and then petition for child support?

And if paternity *was* established, even through a default motion, then *legally* Thomas is the Dad unless and until paternity is established, and he should respond reasonably to the discovery request.

Just Blue

Which is why I suspect legal paternity was somehow established without DNA, by default.

I wonder if Thomas blew off responding to something, figuring, "There's no proof I'm the father, so I don't have to show up."

Isn't that the logical route? Establish paternity, and then petition for child support?
Seems logical to me.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
These things are frequently done concurrently.
But wouldn't they be staggered? Like, if done concurrently, the time to comply to each be staggered?

It seems from Thomas's initial post that has been deleted, that the "ex female girlfriend" had him served with an "Amended complaint for custody, child support, and other relief." In order for there to be an amended complaint, doesn't there have to be an initial complaint? There is also no mention of establishing paternity. Thomas is hanging his hat on, "I haven't sign any papers about the paternity of the child."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">