• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband took 2yo daughter to Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I did not imply at all that it was illegal. I said that it was a serious mistake...and it was. Its going to put him at a serious disadvantage in court.

Also, its not very likely that its in the child's best interest to be in the primary custody of a parent with stage four kidney failure and an ocean away from the other parent.
Not necessarily was it a serious mistake. You often encourage moms to move with the children and never warn them about it. Why the change? Oh this was dad. HI is still in the United States. And you don't know what is in this child's best interest. You know nothing about this situation.

justalayman

I did not imply at all that it was illegal. I said that it was a serious mistake...and it was. Its going to put him at a serious disadvantage in court.

Also, its not very likely that its in the child's best interest to be in the primary custody of a parent with stage four kidney failure and an ocean away from the other parent.
How is that? It appears the time to establish residency is marginal.

. I have been here for over six months, and he was just shy of six months
Where was the child at any given time?

And to your last statement:

Do you realize that no matter which parent has custody, the other parent is an ocean away?

Are you aware there are FIVE stages of kidney failure? Stage 5 is where dialysis would come in

https://www.freseniuskidneycare.com/about-chronic-kidney-disease/stages/stage-4#tabs

Then for stage 5

eGFR of 15 or less

End stage renal disease (ESRD), or renal failure, is the end stage of kidney function—not the end stage of life. Also called stage 5 of CKD, ESRD indicates that both kidneys are no longer working sufficiently to keep your body healthy and chemically balanced. If you haven't already decided on an ESRD treatment with your doctor, it's time to make the decision together.
So at stage 4, dad needs to start concerning himself with a future of dialysis, NOT DEATH.

LdiJ

How is that? It appears the time to establish residency is marginal.

Where was the child at any given time?

And to your last statement:

Do you realize that no matter which parent has custody, the other parent is an ocean away?

Are you aware there are FIVE stages of kidney failure? Stage 5 is where dialysis would come in

https://www.freseniuskidneycare.com/about-chronic-kidney-disease/stages/stage-4#tabs

Then for stage 5

So at stage 4, dad needs to start concerning himself with a future of dialysis, NOT DEATH.
I was taking the OP's word for it that he could die. If that is not the case, then that is not the case.

Just for clarification. How long had the child been residing in California before returning to Hawaii with dad?
Our child was residing with both of us until I was locked out of the house. Her father took her out of CA two weeks ago, just shy of six months.

And one statement of hyperbole brings all statements into question as she doesn't seem to care about facts.
I actually wasn’t. He’s been on dialysis for a year and talks about the possibility of dropping dead all the time. Honestly, I’m not 100% educated on the possibilities but he was born with a kidney issue and had a transplant at the age of six. Now in his twenties, it’s failing and we’re not sure what his future looks like.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am trying to be completely transparent... I can’t imagine I would get accurate advice if I were twisting facts.
You would be amazed at the number of people who actually lie.
If the child was living with both of you and you are married, then you have issues. You can't file for custody if the child is NOT in your state.... The statute seems clear that IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING has been in the state for six months. The child is not in California now but Hawaii. Dad could fight it on that point.

LdiJ

That conclusion isn't supported by the information we have been given.
I do NOT agree with you. I believe that you are wrong. In nearly all cases it is a serious mistake for a parent to up and leave the state, taking the child with them unless the other parent is likely to roll over and play dead. I think its highly irresponsible of you to suggest that it wasn't a mistake for the parent to leave the state with the child.

Just Blue

I do NOT agree with you. I believe that you are wrong. In nearly all cases it is a serious mistake for a parent to up and leave the state, taking the child with them unless the other parent is likely to roll over and play dead. I think its highly irresponsible of you to suggest that it wasn't a mistake for the parent to leave the state with the child.
To add to the above: Unless the moving parent has a vagina.... then it's okay. :rolleyes:

justalayman

Actually if the child has not resided in California at least 6 months it may be the smartest thing dad could have done, at least for his benefit.

I’m trying to see your point based on sound logical reasoning and a modest understanding of the laws in play;

I don’t see it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">