• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I AM their mother.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Have your BF hire an attorney for you in TN. You will not get custody...but will likely get visitation. You will likely have to provide full cost of transportation as you created the distance.

BTW: Don't presume to "know" what the we have "been through".
I think she was referring to her BF's family. Because they gave her the legal advice to establish residency in NY and go from there.

The problem being of course, that would only work if the kids were with her. The kids are with Dad in TN, so NY does not have jurisdiction, and it is very likely NY will never have jurisdiction, so long as Dad is alive and in TN.

She might swing joint legal custody, but joint physical is implausible and sole custody is close to impossible.

Just Blue

And why would that be a concern? I'm pretty stable other than feeling completely depressed that I'm having such a difficult time dealing with trying figure this out.
Why would that be a concern? Well...When you write:. "And he has been very selfish when it comes to giving me the attention I long for."
That is kind of a heads up for a mental health issue. Or a troll.

TaraKay

I think OP is referring to her current boyfriend's family, not us. :unsure:
Yes, my boyfriend's family. I'm extremely tired of them trying to give me advice. Its been nothing but, one misleading thing after another. Witch is why I'm here now, getting real advice.

TaraKay

I think OP is referring to her current boyfriend's family, not us. :unsure:
I do know that none of them are the mom that has had to fight for custody. And they are the type of mother to make the dad fight tooth and nail. And I'm not that girl. I just want it to be fair.

TaraKay

Not to toss cold water on your plans, but.... If your b/f is unwilling to move to TN with you, he can prevent you from taking his child.
And thats definitely something I'm worried about. But, hae said he plans on us getting it together and helping me with the girls. That NY is only temporary until he establishs some experience in his work, save, and plan on seeing what it takes to get my girls back in my life.

Just Blue

And thats definitely something I'm worried about. But, hae said he plans on us getting it together and helping me with the girls. That NY is only temporary until he establishs some experience in his work, save, and plan on seeing what it takes to get my girls back in my life.
Why don't you get off your butt and see to this yourself?

TaraKay

Ahh so you realize you committed a crime by "putting him on the BC". He is the LEGAL father.
How is that a crime? He wanted to take responsibility. We were married. Still legally married. I wasn't aware of it being a crime. The hospital never mentioned it. There wasn't no warning to him signing it under false information. In fact the paper said he was merely waving his right for paternity test. I don't regret it, i only regret thinking he would be decent enough to work this out with me.

Just Blue

How is that a crime? He wanted to take responsibility. We were married. Still legally married. I wasn't aware of it being a crime. The hospital never mentioned it. There wasn't no warning to him signing it under false information. In fact the paper said he was merely waving his right for paternity test. I don't regret it, i only regret thinking he would be decent enough to work this out with me.
You didn't read the form? Really?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">