• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illiari

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am not married. My sons father has not established paternity yet. He is abusive and has threatened to take my son from me. Can I leave the state? I do not feel safe here. I went to court and was pressured to sign a paper giving him visitation and a no contact order. What can I do about this. I have been with him for over 12 years. I want to leave to get away from him. Plus his green card is expired. He is not up for renewal. I want to leave can i?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you sure that paternity wasn't established? How would visitation been ordered without such a finding?

Illiari

It hasn't been. My lawyer pressured me to sign something I did not want to. I am trying to get it appealed. I was told over and over it was my besy option. The only one. It was pressure and coersion

Illiari

She pressured me to sign a no contact order giving him supervised visitation. But the paper doesn't state visitation on it anywhere.only that I dropped the injuction.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Look, one way or another, if he is the biological father, he will be able to get his legal paternity established.

The worst thing you can do right now is flee the state with your son. I can see why you wouldn't want much in the way of visitation for the Dad, but legally, unless he does something that labels him forever a danger to your son, Dad will have visitation with his son. I get it, because when you finally leave an abusive relationship like that, you want to be away from it completely. But the legal reality is Dad will be granted visitation, whether or not you agree to it.

If you fight it, that visitation won't be supervised.

Illiari

Look, one way or another, if he is the biological father, he will be able to get his legal paternity established.

The worst thing you can do right now is flee the state with your son. I can see why you wouldn't want much in the way of visitation for the Dad, but legally, unless he does something that labels him forever a danger to your son, Dad will have visitation with his son. I get it, because when you finally leave an abusive relationship like that, you want to be away from it completely. But the legal reality is Dad will be granted visitation, whether or not you agree to it.

What if he is here illegally. And could be reported at any time? Plus he has not proven paternity

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
It sounds like paternity has actually been determined.

Florida requires either court approval or written consent of the other parent if you wish to move more than 60 miles away. And I will tell you this: it's not easy to obtain permission in Florida. You need an attorney before you do something wrong and end up in a situation you don't want to be in.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Can I just leave now?
Leave Dad? Yes. Leave the state, no. Dad would have grounds to demand that your son be returned to your state, and you could even lose custody.

Bt the way, the greencard expiration is just the physical card - his immigration status has not changed.

Illiari

He's mentally unstable. Thinks the world is flat that we live under a done under water and that space doesn't exist. He tries to teach my son this

Illiari

Leave Dad? Yes. Leave the state, no. Dad would have grounds to demand that your son be returned to your state, and you could even lose custody.

Bt the way, the greencard expiration is just the physical card - his immigration status has not changed.
Yes it has he has arrests and is fighting deportation now

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">