• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal camping ticket...infraction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agalloch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

in ca.

got an infraction ticket in a state park, thought it was the same as a national forest and could camp free of charge for a few days

it,s a non developed area, no campsites , no facilities

i havent found out how much the ticket is, left before it came in the mail

have until second week of december to contact the court

is there anything similiar to trial by written declaration for non traffic tickets like cr-142 and cr-141 in california (which is only for traffic tickets)

otherwise if i contact the court and find out its over 100$ which i dont have, can i request a payment plan , i will not be able to go back to the area as it,s 500 miles away to get to the appearence date in dec.

what forms from the ca. courts website could i use to deal with this infraction?

any thoughts?

CdwJava

What code section have you been charged with?

No, a trial by written declaration is not likely an option since this is not a traffic offense.

Understand that the date on the citation is when you are supposed to APPEAR in court. Don't wait for something in the mail. Take care of it. Either pay the fine by mail if it is allowed, or be sure to attend the arraignment as indicated on the citation. To do otherwise could lead to bad things for you.

swilkers

I got a ticket for camping outside developed site

I have been camping outside of Mammoth Lakes for 3 months now. I was camping at one site for about 3 weeks, and I leave for a backpacking trip leaving my car and my tent at the campsite. I come back to a ticket on my car saying I was not supposed to be camping there because it is an undeveloped site. (even though there was a road and a fire pit to the site I was at)
But the only way they knew it was me was because my car was parked there and they taped the ticket to my window. I never agreed to show up in court or pay the fee they charged me with. Where my signature should be it says: left at side.
There were no "No Camping" signs or private property signs. And I'm pretty sure it was in Inyo Natnl Forest. So I thought I could camp there.
Anyway my question is, can they make me pay the fee if I wasn't even present when they gave me the ticket, and can they even prove it was me that was camping there?

OHRoadwarrior

If you can afford a car, gasoline and to not work for 3 weeks while you go camping, so you can afford a fine. I suggest you stop "breezing" through life and get a job. Show up in court and explain it was not you.:rolleyes:

xylene

U jelly

If you can afford a car, gasoline and to not work for 3 weeks while you go camping, so you can afford a fine. I suggest you stop "breezing" through life and get a job. Show up in court and explain it was not you.:rolleyes:
You are confusing the words of the OP and the hijacker... :rolleyes:

I have been camping outside of Mammoth Lakes for 3 months now. I was camping at one site for about 3 weeks, and I leave for a backpacking trip leaving my car and my tent at the campsite. I come back to a ticket on my car saying I was not supposed to be camping there because it is an undeveloped site. (even though there was a road and a fire pit to the site I was at)
But the only way they knew it was me was because my car was parked there and they taped the ticket to my window. I never agreed to show up in court or pay the fee they charged me with. Where my signature should be it says: left at side.
There were no "No Camping" signs or private property signs. And I'm pretty sure it was in Inyo Natnl Forest. So I thought I could camp there.
Anyway my question is, can they make me pay the fee if I wasn't even present when they gave me the ticket, and can they even prove it was me that was camping there?
There is no proof it was you and you never made a promise to appear anywhere. Do you receive mail at the address your car is registered to?

If you do wait and see if something comes about it in the mail. Otherwise ignore it.

dave33

There is no proof it was you and you never made a promise to appear anywhere. Do you receive mail at the address your car is registered to?

If you do wait and see if something comes about it in the mail. Otherwise ignore it.

The o.p. could of course make this argument in court, but you realize to do so a warrant will be issued for failure to appear.

Ignoring court orders almost never ends up being a pleasant resolution.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The o.p. could of course make this argument in court, but you realize to do so a warrant will be issued for failure to appear.

I agree - but who gets the warrant? The r/o of the car? The driver of the car? The passenger of the car? Who is camping?

dave33

I agree - but who gets the warrant? The r/o of the car? The driver of the car? The passenger of the car? Who is camping?
The r/o would get the ticket. If the r/o was not the camper than he has the option to explain him/herself to the judge. That is how I believe the situation would work.

CdwJava

Please start your own thread. Include in that post the code section on the citation, and whether the cite was made out to the registered owner of the vehicle or to someone else.

How could there be a "failure to appear." Nobody has promised to appear. The car could be cited for failure to appear I suppose if it somehow signed the citation. This is like a parking ticket. At most they could make renewing the registration a pain. But I suppose there may be some mailed notice to the r/o of the car, which can be easily disputed (i.e. lent the car to my brother-in-law who let his friend "Joe Dirt" take it camping). Very tough criminal case to prove I would think. Good luck on that one.

I say ignore it and see what their next move is.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How could there be a "failure to appear." Nobody has promised to appear. The car could be cited for failure to appear I suppose if it somehow signed the citation. This is like a parking ticket. At most they could make renewing the registration a pain. But I suppose there may be some mailed notice to the r/o of the car, which can be easily disputed (i.e. lent the car to my brother-in-law who let his friend "Joe Dirt" take it camping). Very tough criminal case to prove I would think. Good luck on that one.

I say ignore it and see what their next move is.
Ignoring a legal matter is never, EVER a good idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">