• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Extortion & Check Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Do you have a citation for your assertion that "most" are impulsive and not well thought out, or is it a personal belief/observation?
Have you known any minors that got themselves into trouble? Have you known any minors that plotted out something methodical or did they do whatever they did on impulse? Come on Zig, you have kids that were teens once...and maybe some still are. You know how their minds work when they get themselves in trouble.

I have not known any child who got themselves in trouble when it wasn't something impulsive and not thought out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you known any minors that got themselves into trouble? Have you known any minors that plotted out something methodical or did they do whatever they did on impulse? Come on Zig, you have kids that were teens once...and maybe some still are. You know how their minds work when they get themselves in trouble.

I have not known any child who got themselves in trouble when it wasn't something impulsive and not thought out.
The criminal mind is different than the "normal" mind at just about any age.

For the record, my kids could plot with the best of them at an early age.

Just Blue

The criminal mind is different than the "normal" mind at just about any age.

For the record, my kids could plot with the best of them at an early age.
If either of my kiddo's decided to turn to a life of crime, they would be VERY methodical in the careful, non-impulsive planning. I doubt they would have been caught. :geek::devilish:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Well you don't know everything. I know several children who have plotted crimes -- everything from rape to murder, theft to vandalism. And they were legally children. Some have been found guilty of it and even prosecuted as adults. Let's see:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-medina/17-year-old-wadsworth-teen-indicted-on-aggravated-murder-charge-for-death-of-elderly-woman
https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-craigslist-killings-mother-teen-son-innocent/story?id=15038334

How many more examples do you need? So it is not unbelievable that a teen could have come up with this fake check. Google has examples and information on what a check needs.

I have also represented teens that have engaged in everything from burglary to theft to vandalism to assault. And yes, some of them PLOTTED it out and planned methodically. That is a fact.

tc2244482

OP weighing in. Thanks all for your comments. You all had some pretty good insights and suggestions. Consulted with 2 attorneys today who both indicated they have dealt/heard many identical stories over the last year, and they are increasing. I dont know how common it is for two attorneys to agree on anything, but both felt that given that there was no loss incurred, the low dollar amount and that the bank investigation has been closed, it is opined that the best path forward with the bank would be simply a clear accounting of what happened;, timeline, events, etc. This matter may not be over yet, but I have my next steps. The majority of conversation/coercion took place via "KIK" so there is little tangible evidence and harder still to track the individual, although we do have an email and the check. Will be submitting the available material to IC3.gov (FBI Internet crime complaint center). However, I have clearly had blinders on as to my teen's level of maturity. This has been a painful (but apparently necessary) wake up call. And, to many of your points, she is clearly not mature enough to have unfettered access to internet or a bank account. Thank you - greatly appreciated.

quincy

For LdiJ, here is one (extreme) case out of many cases I am familiar with in Michigan: Not all that many years ago, a young high school student plotted out the murder of a man - invited him to his grandfather’s house under the pretense of selling drugs, stabbed the man, set the man on fire, dismembered him, and disposed of his body parts in secluded areas surrounding his city of residence (a wealthy suburban area) - all because he wanted to see what it felt like to kill someone. He had high school friends act as lookout during the murder and they helped with the disposal of body parts.

So ... cashing a fraudulent check? I don’t think that is beyond something a minor could plan.

Last edited:

quincy

OP weighing in. Thanks all for your comments. You all had some pretty good insights and suggestions. Consulted with 2 attorneys today who both indicated they have dealt/heard many identical stories over the last year, and they are increasing. I dont know how common it is for two attorneys to agree on anything, but both felt that given that there was no loss incurred, the low dollar amount and that the bank investigation has been closed, it is opined that the best path forward with the bank would be simply a clear accounting of what happened;, timeline, events, etc. This matter may not be over yet, but I have my next steps. The majority of conversation/coercion took place via "KIK" so there is little tangible evidence and harder still to track the individual, although we do have an email and the check. Will be submitting the available material to IC3.gov (FBI Internet crime complaint center). However, I have clearly had blinders on as to my teen's level of maturity. This has been a painful (but apparently necessary) wake up call. And, to many of your points, she is clearly not mature enough to have unfettered access to internet or a bank account. Thank you - greatly appreciated.
I am glad you have consulted attorneys in your area. I think you are smart to file a complaint with the FBI’s IC3. The FBI will forward the information on to the appropriate agency in your state for investigation.

If the bank decides to take any action against your daughter, you will want to hire an attorney to help with her defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">