• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Commitment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Devosmajo, there are very strict privacy laws that prohibit hospitals from releasing information about their patients to employers, and those laws apply regardless of the type of illness. Employers will not be able to see anything at all about your medical records without your express, written authorization.

quincy

It might be necessary to inform an employer of health issues IF accommodations are sought because of these health issues. Otherwise, there should be no reason why you need to disclose any medical or mental health examinations.

Is it possible for employers to see involuntary commitment for pre employment background checks? If so how does one seal this issue in the state of New York
Involuntary commitment can be a prerequisite for employment. In the state of New York it is stated

" However, work is regarded as one of the mainstays of recovery, so State Office of Mental Health facilities do offer opportunities for work or work training in keeping with state and federal labor laws.

Your must be told verbally and in writing about work or work training. You must be told the rate of pay, the pay period, how total pay is determined, what deductions are made and the reason for each of them. You also must be told about the provisions of State Office of Mental Health regulations about work and work training.

If you are between the ages of 5 and 21, you have a right to the same educational and vocational services that you are entitled to outside a state psychiatric center."

Source: https://omh.ny.gov/omhweb/patientrights/inpatient_rts.htm

quincy

Involuntary commitment can be a prerequisite for employment. In the state of New York it is stated

" However, work is regarded as one of the mainstays of recovery, so State Office of Mental Health facilities do offer opportunities for work or work training in keeping with state and federal labor laws.

Your must be told verbally and in writing about work or work training. You must be told the rate of pay, the pay period, how total pay is determined, what deductions are made and the reason for each of them. You also must be told about the provisions of State Office of Mental Health regulations about work and work training.

If you are between the ages of 5 and 21, you have a right to the same educational and vocational services that you are entitled to outside a state psychiatric center."

What you posted is not applicable to what Devosmajo has described as his/her situation. Devosmajo is not in a psychiatric hospital.

eerelations

This doesn't apply to OP's situation. OP is not currently receiving mental health services. He quite probably has never received mental health services or treatment. Some time ago - perhaps even years ago - OP's friend called the police, the police took OP to the hospital, OP was given a mental health examination and then released as having no discernable mental health disabilities. So there's no "recovery" going on here.

quincy

Devosmajo, please do not be confused by what advocatesdenver posted. He quoted from the link provided to you earlier.

It is important that quotes are not taken out of context, as advocatesdenver has done.

Devosmajo

Hi does anyone know if the reasoning for involuntary commitment shows up or does it just note involuntary commitment

quincy

Hi does anyone know if the reasoning for involuntary commitment shows up or does it just note involuntary commitment
The ambulance, the police and the hospital will have records noting the reasons for calls, transportation, medical testing. These are internal records and no personal identifying information will be publicly available.

You should not worry about any of this showing up on employment background checks. If you have committed and been convicted of crimes, or you have a less-than-stellar work history, you have some cause to be concerned.

I don’t understand what is fueling your questions here. I think what you have been told already should have reassured you.

Devosmajo

The ambulance, the police and the hospital will have records noting the reasons for calls, transportation, medical testing. These are internal records and no personal identifying information will be publicly available.

You should not worry about any of this showing up on employment background checks. If you have committed and been convicted of crimes, or you have a less-than-stellar work history, you have some cause to be concerned.

I don’t understand what is fueling your questions here. I think what you have been told already should have reassured you.
I was just wondering because I was looking at the equal employment opportunity act and was wondering how they could even possibly discriminate a candidate for having a disability if they don’t have access to medical information

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Pre-employment checks generally will show previous employment. Depending on the employer it may also check your driving record, educational history, or credit rating. It does not and will not and by law cannot show any medical history whatsoever. I don't know how to say this in a way that will make you believe what you are being told.

ETA: If someone comes into an interview in a wheelchair, or a seeing eye dog, or a brace on their arm, the employer doesn't need a medical history to know there is a disability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">