• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Irrevocable House Trust vs. Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeonMoon

Also, let's say something was done w/o me knowing about it (which would not be legal) since I would have to agree to it... Correct??? Wouldn't I have been informed that I am no longer the Trustee?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I read thru the document and it says..."The Grantor may discharge a Trustee, Co-Trustee, etc. for cause or without cause, absolutely in their sole discretion....... I guess this means that my mom can remove me as Trustee of the Trust. Would it even hold up at this point since it is an Irrevocable Trust?
An irrevocable trust is one in which your mother can't undo the whole trust and take back all the trust assets for herself. Irrevocable doesn't mean unchangeable. So changes like replacing the trustee may be done if the trust document has a provision allowing for that. Making a change in the trustee does not undo the trust, it simply changes who manages the trust. So long as she is not mentally incompetent she retains that power and may exercise it any time. In order for that to go smoothly she would need to promptly inform you that you've been removed as trustee and either she or the new trustee would need to promptly inform anyone the trust deals with (like financial institutions) of the change in trustee too.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also, let's say something was done w/o me knowing about it (which would not be legal) since I would have to agree to it... Correct??? Wouldn't I have been informed that I am no longer the Trustee?
You don't have to agree to it or even need to be informed. It would, of course, be wise to inform you so that you no longer try to take any actions based on your belief that you are the trustee.

NeonMoon

An irrevocable trust is one in which your mother can't undo the whole trust and take back all the trust assets for herself. Irrevocable doesn't mean unchangeable. So changes like replacing the trustee may be done if the trust document has a provision allowing for that. Making a change in the trustee does not undo the trust, it simply changes who manages the trust. So long as she is not mentally incompetent she retains that power and may exercise it any time. In order for that to go smoothly she would need to promptly inform you that you've been removed as trustee and either she or the new trustee would need to promptly inform anyone the trust deals with (like financial institutions) of the change in trustee too.
As far as I know, it's unchanged. Since I am the trustee and manage the "house" trust, I am still get the tax bill that I pay/manage. I am still registered in NYC and being the trustee if that makes sense. I my brother had been named, he would be getting the bills to pay and that is not the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">