• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a lawsuit worth it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JETX

Meryl Doe said:
Nobody needs to invest anything in this lawsuit. Most employment lawyers (who defend the rights of employees, (who most usually don't have the means to invest in lawsuits))will work on a contingency basis and will take 33% of your final award. On the other hand, when the lawyer defends the emploYERS, then they will charge outrageous fees. Even a toddler knows this infomation.

Just based on the vague description of your case, it is clear that if what you say is true, you have a case. It will be up to the jury, or to the lawyers who handle your case, to make the final decision.
*** Then based on your post, clearly you must be a toddler. An attorney will ONLY take a case on contingent fee basis where he feels that there will be at least a high likelihood of a favorable judgment.... and that the defendant has sufficient assets to pay any judgment award. If you had any idea what you were talking about, you would see that the this writer has, at best, a VERY weak case. With that, I doubt that any attorney would take this on a contingent fee basis.... meaning that the writer would have to pay on a retainer (hourly) basis. And since your 'experience' obviously qualifies you to forecast a successful action in this matter, why I presumed you were willing to fund the case, right??

M

Meryl Doe

"An attorney will ONLY take a case on contingent fee basis where he feels that there will be at least a high likelihood of a favorable judgment"

Exactly. An attorney will have an interview with the plaintiff and will gather a good amount of information in order to determine whether she has a case. He will NOT base his decision on the two lines you used to base your opinion, because that would be irresponsible and unprofessional. The attorney needs to check all the evidence. You are being absolutely reckless in jumping to conclusions based on such vague information.

The only statement that Maddy32 has made is that she was treated differently than her male co-workers in an area of employment (discipline) and in the US, the courts have ruled in favor of plaintiffs who have proved that this has been the case (just check the case she posted.)

Now, it doesn't matter how many times you post back to say that she "has no case" or that her "case is weak." Your opinion has no value. First off, you don't have the facts, and second, the little information she gave was enough to establish the prima facie for sex discrimination. So even with that little information, you're fooling yourself if you say she has no case. If what she stated is entirely true, she DOES have a case. No matter how much you dispute it, it is the law, not your opinion, that counts here.

I bet more than one attorney will offer to take this case on contingency, if this lady presents factual evidence of the unequal disciplinary measures used against her.

Last edited:

JETX

Meryl Doe said:
I bet more than one attorney will offer to take this case on contingency, if this lady presents factual evidence of the unequal disciplinary measures used against her.
*** I'll take that bet!! Lets say $1000..... and we'll let IAAL hold the money. Agreed???
Come on.... don't wimp out now!!

S

spiderlill

give me a break already!

maddy - you would have better luck spilling some hot coffee on your lap at this point! Let the people who have been truly wronged get justice!

JETX

I guess "Meryl" must have asked an adult and found out she was not correct.... since I never heard anything from her on my accepting her offer.

J

jessicajager

From someone who actually understands

Minnesota

I am going through the exact same crap as you are! Or at least particularly close to the same thing.

I am basically the only female where I work and my boss treats me like crap compared to the "guys". He will ride my ass all day and tell me how everything needs to be done completely, 100%, yet if the guys just stand around and screw off all day and don't get anything done, then I have to pick up their slack. I mentioned to him one day that nothing got done (all the things that he always told me it was absolutely necessary to get it all done) and he said to me, "they're not expected to get it all done. Sometimes when you come in you'll have to pick up what didn't get done if it was busy." Huh! What a load of crap! :mad:

I want to sue his ass so bad for sex discrimination at work. I can tell that he is pressuring me to try to get me to quit so they can turn it back into their "boys town." I am always treated like crap if I miss anything or make a mistake, yet if the guys screw around it's ok.

The only problem in our situation is, if we did try to start a lawsuit, the burden of proof would be on us. So if you did go through all the trouble and did get him to court, you would have to prove somehow that you're right and he did in fact discriminate against you. It would come down to your word against his. You could tell the judge that he discriminated against you in firing you, but your boss could easily lie and write it off by saying that you were a bad employee or had bad conduct, etc.

Then it gets to the point where you wonder, why do they even have discrimination laws at work?! It's so hard to even prove that our bosses are discriminating against us. But I know for sure that my boss does it every single day when I am at work.

The only thing I can think of if you do want to go ahead and proceed with a lawsuit, is if you could find an employee that works there, or even better, has worked there in the past, and if they would agree to go to court with you as a witness. Somebody who could identify the patterns of your boss's behavior or somebody that has witnessed how differently your boss treated you versus the "guys" that work there.

Well I guess I can't offer much more to say, I thought I was the only female going through this. I know it's a bunch of B.S. that it IS the law that our bosses don't discriminate because of sex, religion, yada yada, at work, but they do it all the time and get away with it! :mad:

Good luck to you in which ever way you take this situation. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">