• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a bar to do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Oh, I agree. The bar’s solution seems to be advantageous for all parties involved.
I am not sure that I agree entirely. I think that the fact that they had to pay a higher than value price for the shoplifted alcohol is fair. I am iffy about cleaning the bar, for many reasons that I won't go into.

quincy

I am not sure that I agree entirely. I think that the fact that they had to pay a higher than value price for the shoplifted alcohol is fair. I am iffy about cleaning the bar, for many reasons that I won't go into.
Charging more for the alcohol than its regular retail price is legal. Cleaning the bar is problematic but could save the teens from a criminal record.

Neither the teens nor the bar are acting within the law, however.

LdiJ

Charging more for the alcohol than its regular retail price is legal. Cleaning the bar is problematic but could save the teens from a criminal record.

Neither the teens nor the bar are acting within the law, however.
I realize that. When my child was 18 I wouldn't have wanted her to be alone in a bar, with the manager or whoever was supervising, after hours. I also wouldn't have wanted her to clean a bar at all, most of them are really filthy places unless they are very upscale. I doubt that an upscale bar would be so lax as to not check IDs.

quincy

There were problems in Georgia with those under the age of 21 being in bars, which led to the passage of Michael’s Law. Michael’s law prohibits, among other things, anyone under the age of 21 from being in a bar (with a few exceptions).

The bar’s solution seems designed to protect itself but it also can work to protect the teens from being charged with crimes. I don’t like it but it seems to be a solution that works well for the teens and the bar.

quincy

The civil penalties that can be assessed against the teens are compensatory damages (value of alcohol), plus exemplary damages ($150 or twice the value of loss) and costs incurred by bar in their suit against the teens.

The criminal penalties could include misdemeanor theft charges if the alcohol stolen was less than $500, with the possibility of a $1000 fine and up to one year in jail, and misdemeanor minor in possession charges, again with the possibility of a $1000 fine and up to one year in jail.

Misdemeanor convictions come with a whole host of other problems.

The bar potentially could have their liquor license suspended, depending on all facts (including checking of IDs).

quincy

The bar apparently is asking all of the teen-thieves to clean the bar so, if one or more of the teens are female, they could be cleaning the bar together. Safety in numbers.

Plus, unless the incident is reported to the police, no mom is likely to hear about it.

Just Blue

The civil penalties that can be assessed against the teens are compensatory damages (value of alcohol), plus exemplary damages ($150 or twice the value of loss) and costs incurred by bar in their suit against the teens.

The criminal penalties could include misdemeanor theft charges if the alcohol stolen was less than $500, with the possibility of a $1000 fine and up to one year in jail, and misdemeanor minor in possession charges, again with the possibility of a $1000 fine and up to one year in jail.

Misdemeanor convictions come with a whole host of other problems.

The bar potentially could have their liquor license suspended, depending on all facts (including checking of IDs).
But what if the teens had really good taste and got a bottle or two of Macallen 1950...at 90k per bottle? :p

quincy

But what if the teens had really good taste and got a bottle or two of Macallen 1950...at 90k per bottle? :p
The teens would have shown good taste ... but be subject to felony charges that could have them serving out time in prison for 20+/- years. They would then have to be satisfied with bologna sandwiches and milk.

CdwJava

Yes LdiJ tell us which you'd prefer. (I know if it was my parents they'd have said "Clean that damn bar! Twice!")
One of my sons shoplifted a sandwich from a Circle K ... he decided to go with friends for lunch his sophomore year instead of walking home to eat, and he didn't have any money. Apparently a number of his friends got their lunch that way, occasionally. In any event, he got caught and I was mortified to get a call from the high school. I marched him to Circle K where he apologized to the manager and I volunteered him for cleanup duty for two Saturdays. He got to sweep the parking lot and walkway outside, and mop the interior of the store and the store room for several hours each day (my wife and I took turns monitoring him). His $2.89 sandwich jack didn't seem so palatable after that.

adjusterjack

I find it ironic that the OP evidently has no issues with drinking underage and stealing alcohol, both violations of the law, but gets bent out of shape if the bar's solution, which keeps the minors from having a criminal record, does not conform to the letter of the law.
My guess is that the OP is the parent of one of the minors and doesn't have the sense to hold his kid responsible for breaking the law.

quincy

It sounds more to me like one of the teens posting, perhaps hoping that violations by the bar might negate any criminal acts committed by him/her and friends (which seems unlikely at best).

I suspect that the parents know nothing about this - unless, maybe, the parents were contacted by the bar or the teens needed to borrow money from their parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">