• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my landlords wife harassing me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anon2you

What is the name of your state? California

I’ve been renting a back house now from someone since September of 2019 we always pay our rent on time don’t bother anyone but I always seem to be a bother to the landlords wife and I’m honestly not comfortable living here anymore I don’t feel at peace I’m in the process of moving out soon hopefully. The landlords wife gets mad if a technician comes out here to fix my internet the service isn’t the best so they’ve came out here at least like 5x today as a tech was checking some wires she came out to ask him what was he doing here and who was he she told him that I needed to tell her if someone was coming over (as I was standing there) if my kids leave a scooter in a certain space outside she text my bf to tell me if I can take it inside my house and not leave it outside she looks thru the trash to see what I throw out once she even told me not to throw a obvious piece of trash in there and to put it in the recycle bin. She told me once that if I was going to be parking in the neighbors parking spot in a public street that because he was going to get mad the husband obviously saw that i was bothered and he said it’s cause those neighbors did something to someone else’s car once and that they don’t want anything to happen to my nice car. My dad came over once in his county work attire to drop something off and as I came inside she asked me who that was and that she sees me acting “weird” and that she doesn’t know what the att tech guys give me insinuating that they give me drugs. She lied and told her husband that my dad was being rude to her and ignored her when she asked who he was (never happened) as he was waiting for me outside. I told the landlord that she was accusing me of being weird and that she didn’t know what the techs gave me and he gave me this big o excuse that they don’t want anything to happen to me and that she was just looking out for me (as she spied on me thru the cameras I’m sure because he even knew what my dad gave me which was a bag of chips). I even stopped going outside to smoke in my car because obviously everything bothers her and she’s not to be trusted. I wouldn’t doubt if she comes in the house when we’re not home. I try to be here the least I can because I’m obviously not comfortable here. My kids don’t even go outside to play nomore because if they do their just there watching them if they touch the tree or dead plants they get mad. I recently applied to housing and I think that was a bad idea because I put them as my recent landlords and they’ll probably make some lies up about us. I feel like if and when I do move out their just going to give us problems about our deposit and make some other stuff up. When we first moved in he had to fix something for the stove for the gas and I put blinds on one window that was open and she said oh you put blinds with a bothered face. Everything is literally a problem to her but when we ask her if we can put our car in to load my laundry in the car they ignore us. I called housing but it was closed already.

adjusterjack

Taken individually, each item can be construed as a landlord being overly protective of her property. Taken all together the woman is obviously a lunatic. :giggle:

Unfortunately, her lunacy doesn't rise to the level of the requirements for a California Civil Harassment Restraining Order.

I agree that your best bet is to move.

Be careful about three things.

1 - If you are on a month to month rental agreement (open ended - no stated duration) California law requires that you give WRITTEN notice (not text, not phone, not email) "for a period at least as long as the term of the periodic tenancy prior to the proposed date of termination." See 1946.1(b):

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1946.1.

That means, if you pay your rent on the first of March for example, you give written notice on or before the first with a termination date of the last day of the rental period March 31. If you paid your rent for February already, you are stuck until the end of March.

2 - If you have a lease of a specific duration, like September 2019 to September 2020 you'll be subject to financial penalties for breaking the lease and your deposit can be applied to unpaid rent.

3 - If there is any problem with getting your security deposit back (if you are entitled to it) read the security deposit statute:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1950.5.

Anon2you

Taken individually, each item can be construed as a landlord being overly protective of her property. Taken all together the woman is obviously a lunatic. :giggle:

Unfortunately, her lunacy doesn't rise to the level of the requirements for a California Civil Harassment Restraining Order.

I agree that your best bet is to move.

Be careful about three things.

1 - If you are on a month to month rental agreement (open ended - no stated duration) California law requires that you give WRITTEN notice (not text, not phone, not email) "for a period at least as long as the term of the periodic tenancy prior to the proposed date of termination." See 1946.1(b):

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1946.1.

That means, if you pay your rent on the first of March for example, you give written notice on or before the first with a termination date of the last day of the rental period March 31. If you paid your rent for February already, you are stuck until the end of March.

2 - If you have a lease of a specific duration, like September 2019 to September 2020 you'll be subject to financial penalties for breaking the lease and your deposit can be applied to unpaid rent.

3 - If there is any problem with getting your security deposit back (if you are entitled to it) read the security deposit statute:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1950.5.
She is definitely a lunatic I always wondered why the other tenants moved out not too long after being here and now I know why. Even though she tried to make up some big o lie about them.

I don’t want a restraining order against her I just want her to stop her foolishness I can’t even have guest over or my dad without her being rude to them or me or making up lies she was very rude to my sister in law once too while I had a little get together for my child.

I feel like she’s invading my privacy and my peace. One month after living here I was already wanting to move out she literally watches us through the cameras when we leave for the day etc

Or can I tell her to leave me alone like about dumb stuff like her telling me I can’t park in front of certain peoples houses because their going to get mad. In a public street? Sometimes she comes to my door saying if I called her name when obviously I didn’t.

We are on a month to month the landlord told my bf while paying the rent yesterday that if we weren’t going to be telling him if AT&T was going to come over to look at anything that it wasn’t going to work out cause once again his wife lied and told him that he didn’t have any uniform on. As he obviously did and the AT&T van was outside parked. So my bf told him that’s fine that this will be our last month so I’m hoping he just lets us leave at the end of the month with our deposit. I can just tell this man is stingy tho. He put the house together with stuff he just found through out time I’m sure and I feel he’ll try to blame us for stuff that was already obviously messed up.

adjusterjack

So my bf told him that’s fine that this will be our last month so I’m hoping he just lets us leave at the end of the month with our deposit.
Don't count on getting your deposit back if you haven't complied with the termination statute.

The LL is allowed, by statute, to apply your deposit to March rent.

Anon2you

Don't count on getting your deposit back if you haven't complied with the termination statute.

Even if he told us it wasn’t going to work out? I hope he does our rent was due yesterday is it too late to give it to him now.. today? I don’t think I can stay here another month.

Anon2you

My bf said he told him that the day we move out is when he comes in to check the house to check everything is ok and that if it is that’s how he decides. My thing is what if that day he wants to make some stuff up and not give it we’ve been here literally like 5/6 months and nothing is wrong with the house but some stuff was already damaged like blinds from the sun in which like one or two lines finished ripping apart or those things that hold the door for the door knob doesn’t make a hole was really faulty and kept falling and did make a small hole on top of what looks like was previously patched. The blinds also you can tell they had tape on them from being previously ripped.

FarmerJ

Proper notice is just that , telling someone has the same value as a fart in walmo , memory of it fades SO Give written notice to be out by the end of march and in the notice tell the LL your not going to discuss visitors with them in advance such as when your dad comes and tell them if they don't know why your not doing it then perhaps they should talk to their attorney about how tenant friendly our states laws are and to educate them as to how to avoid having legal problems with harassment and NOW I also have to tell you I am very curious about this rear house! have you ever looked up this places address in your county property tax web pages to learn if it says the property is single family zoned or if the unit you rent is allowed by code ? If the home you rent is not a legal rental unit feel free to tell her you are tired of her BS and you know the back house is not a legal rental unit so now you want to be left alone! still plan on giving proper written notice and taking alot of exit pictures to show how nice and clean it is when you move out for your records so if you have to sue them you got pictures to bring with you to court.

Anon2you

Proper notice is just that , telling someone has the same value as a fart in walmo , memory of it fades SO Give written notice to be out by the end of march and in the notice tell the LL your not going to discuss visitors with them in advance such as when your dad comes and tell them if they don't know why your not doing it then perhaps they should talk to their attorney about how tenant friendly our states laws are and to educate them as to how to avoid having legal problems with harassment and NOW I also have to tell you I am very curious about this rear house! have you ever looked up this places address in your county property tax web pages to learn if it says the property is single family zoned or if the unit you rent is allowed by code ? If the home you rent is not a legal rental unit feel free to tell her you are tired of her BS and you know the back house is not a legal rental unit so now you want to be left alone! still plan on giving proper written notice and taking alot of exit pictures to show how nice and clean it is when you move out for your records so if you have to sue them you got pictures to bring with you to court.
Can we put in the letter by the end of February since he told us he was going to be looking at the house the end of the month on the day we move out. I will definitely note that do I also by law have to tell them if a technician is coming out? I know out of courtesy yes. I hadn’t before but I just did and I believe it’s on there cause in the county map it shows their house and a number 2 on the house we’re staying in now also it list info about his house rooms etc and this one. It shows two sub parts but says it is a single family residence code 0106 for land info I believe it is legal? I definitely will thank you!

bcr229

Can we put in the letter by the end of February...
Re-read AJ's post #2. Today is February 8th. If you leave at the end of this month, the landlord can legally keep your security deposit to cover March rent and then come after you for any damages to the unit. Give written notice for March 31. If the landlord wants you out sooner than that and you work out a mutually agreed-upon date, get that in writing, not text, email, or verbal. In writing.

Anon2you

Re-read AJ's post #2. Today is February 8th. If you leave at the end of this month, the landlord can legally keep your security deposit to cover March rent and then come after you for any damages to the unit. Give written notice for March 31. If the landlord wants you out sooner than that and you work out a mutually agreed-upon date, get that in writing, not text, email, or verbal. In writing.
Yes I understand but I said that only because he told my bf that it wasn’t going to work out (us staying here). My bf told him that’s fine and that this would be our last month and he told my bf the deposit he gets it back the last day and that same day he checks the house to see if all is fine. So we write something we both agree on now? What if the day the rent is due again next month he makes up all this bogus stuff and says he won’t be giving us our deposit back or partial? Can we stay without paying him the rent? I’m saying this because the house is in the same condition. I just want to be prepared. Thank you.

adjusterjack

"I was told" = the most dangerous words in the English language. Many a tale of woe on this site includes those words.

If your rent was due yesterday 2/7 then your rental period ends 3/6 and you should have given your written notice yesterday (or before) to be out by 3/6. Now, statutorily, you have to give written notice to be out by 4/6 which means you would owe rent on 3/7 no matter what day of the month you move out.

Beyond that I agree with FarmerJ's advice.

Anon2you

"I was told" = the most dangerous words in the English language. Many a tale of woe on this site includes those words.

If your rent was due yesterday 2/7 then your rental period ends 3/6 and you should have given your written notice yesterday (or before) to be out by 3/6. Now, statutorily, you have to give written notice to be out by 4/6 which means you would owe rent on 3/7 no matter what day of the month you move out.

Beyond that I agree with FarmerJ's advice.
Ok yes I understand that even though I would not want to stay here another month. My question is now that he’s ok with us leaving this month as to he said he doesn’t think us living here will work out. He lets us move out by the end of the month ok no problems but let’s say he doesn’t give us our deposit back or acts dumb about it what can I do then?

FarmerJ

There is no reason you cannot give a written notice this far ahead telling them your going to move out by the last day of MARCH and to do it now. Keep a copy for your records sent to them say via confirmed mail delivery or Certificate of mailing and staple your receipt to your copy for your records. If you don't give proper notice your still on the hook anyway. AS to your guest and even services contractors such as cable techs , appliance repair tech for appliances YOU OWN , a local Avon lady or even a telephone repair tech if you had a regular land line or your father coming over , No landlord in there right mind is going to ever put into writing in a lease so called rules for non overnight guest visits, doing so would likely never be enforced by a court. BUT it is more likely that the landlady has been a bully and attempting to impose nonsense on tenants for some time now and keep in mind if she comes up with more off the cuff crap that you know is not in your lease do a `hmm I think I will re read my copy of the lease to see if it says you can do that while you re check yours and consult with your Attorney. ( hopefully this woman's husband finds his ____________ and tells her to knock it off. ) { more questions if you do not mind? # does your rental unit have its own address or do you share a mailing address with the LL? 2# does your LL include your electric and natural gas and water and sewer in the rent ? # 3 does your city require landlords to have rental licenses and if it does then is it posted in a conspicuous public place where you are able to see it ? ( your city may have this information in its web pages )

Anon2you

There is no reason you cannot give a written notice this far ahead telling them your going to move out by the last day of MARCH and to do it now. Keep a copy for your records sent to them say via confirmed mail delivery or Certificate of mailing and staple your receipt to your copy for your records. If you don't give proper notice your still on the hook anyway. AS to your guest and even services contractors such as cable techs , appliance repair tech for appliances YOU OWN , a local Avon lady or even a telephone repair tech if you had a regular land line or your father coming over , No landlord in there right mind is going to ever put into writing in a lease so called rules for non overnight guest visits, doing so would likely never be enforced by a court. BUT it is more likely that the landlady has been a bully and attempting to impose nonsense on tenants for some time now and keep in mind if she comes up with more off the cuff crap that you know is not in your lease do a `hmm I think I will re read my copy of the lease to see if it says you can do that while you re check yours and consult with your Attorney. ( hopefully this woman's husband finds his ____________ and tells her to knock it off. ) { more questions if you do not mind? # does your rental unit have its own address or do you share a mailing address with the LL? 2# does your LL include your electric and natural gas and water and sewer in the rent ? # 3 does your city require landlords to have rental licenses and if it does then is it posted in a conspicuous public place where you are able to see it ? ( your city may have this information in its web pages )
I can do that but what if he tells me he thought we were leaving end of feb beginning of March? Also I applied for another place and waiting to hear on approval or denial in two weeks say I am approved mid feb what do I do then? Can I just put it in his mailbox he lives in the front. That’s what I thought about guest but it bothers them that anyone comes over & forget if they come over when he’s not here she makes up this big o lie about them being imposters ever since the techs came over she thinks their all imposters. That’s what bothered him and he sided with her saying that if we weren’t going to tell him who comes that staying here wasn’t going to work if we weren’t to follow his rules. None of this is on the lease so I will also be reminding them at first they seemed nice he let us give him the deposit to save the house for a month while we lived at our old place & he let us give him the rent like a month later when we physically started staying here but then she just started with non sense like idk what more they want from me. He lets her tell him lies esp when he’s not here they have cameras everywhere so idk what’s hard about him going back to his cameras to see that his wife is obviously lying. It’s all the same address for the property he rents his basement I guess you can say as a studio too it has its own entrance. Then ours the back house connected to the garage. They pay all the bills like that we just pay rent and I just pay my internet that I have moved with me. I was looking for a while before I replied if Los Angeles needs a License but only found tips I even went on the cities website and nothing maybe I’m not searching for the proper things.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Tell him you decided to give proper notice in writing and your oral notice to him wasn't proper notice! and if your that curious if these two other rental units are legal or not just call your city zoning desk , and ask them how you can find out how many housing units your address is zoned for . your LL - Landlady can try to tell you XYZ but if XYZ isn't in the lease smile and ask them to show you in the lease where it says they can do that and smile as you remind them how CA landlord tenant laws are very favorable to tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">