• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Peeking Into mailbox a federal Crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa63

I'm In Illinois. I have openly hostile neighbors. I had to go over there because my package from Amazon was delivered there by mistake.
I only Peeked inside their mailbox & shut It. On Legal websites I've looked at they say it's only a federal Crime IF you meant to vandalize Or steal their mail.
I didn't touch their mail, only peeked for a second.
Can they bring federal charges against me? I'm really nervous about this & need an answer. I know the Post Master at our post office. Should I talk to him about this or not?
Thank you,
Lisa

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm In Illinois. I have openly hostile neighbors. I had to go over there because my package from Amazon was delivered there by mistake.
I only Peeked inside their mailbox & shut It. On Legal websites I've looked at they say it's only a federal Crime IF you meant to vandalize Or steal their mail.
I didn't touch their mail, only peeked for a second.
Can they bring federal charges against me? I'm really nervous about this & need an answer. I know the Post Master at our post office. Should I talk to him about this or not?

Thank you,
Lisa
This is not going to be a federal case.

I've quoted your post and reported it - the link is not allowed on this forum.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can they bring federal charges against me?
No, they can't. Only a U.S. Attorney may do that, and often only after obtaining an indictment from a federal grand jury. All they could do is report this to the Postal Inspectors or FBI. But as no federal crime was committed here so you've nothing to worry on federal charges just for looking in the mailbox. At worse you may have committed a trespass under your state's law, but I can't see any prosecutor wanting to pursue that.

Last edited:
No, they can't. Only a U.S. Attorney may do that, and often only after obtaining an indictment from a federal grand jury. All they could do is report this to the Postal Inspectors or FBI. But as mo federal crime was committed here so you've nothing to worry on federal charges just for looking in the mailbox. At worse you may have committed a trespass under your state's law, but I can't see any prosecutor wanting to pursue that.
But looking at the law would it be trespass? My mailbox is in front of my house and is actually on a section of my property that has an easement granted to the County for utilities.

§ 21-3.  Criminal trespass to real property.
(a) A person commits criminal trespass to real property when he or she:

(1) knowingly and without lawful authority enters or remains within or on a building;

(2) enters upon the land of another, after receiving, prior to the entry, notice from the owner or occupant that the entry is forbidden;

(3) remains upon the land of another, after receiving notice from the owner or occupant to depart;

(3.5) presents false documents or falsely represents his or her identity orally to the owner or occupant of a building or land in order to obtain permission from the owner or occupant to enter or remain in the building or on the land;

(3.7) intentionally removes a notice posted on residential real estate as required by subsection (l) of Section 15-1505.8 of Article XV of the Code of Civil Procedure before the date and time set forth in the notice;  or

(4) enters a field used or capable of being used for growing crops, an enclosed area containing livestock, an agricultural building containing livestock, or an orchard in or on a motor vehicle (including an off-road vehicle, motorcycle, moped, or any other powered two-wheel vehicle) after receiving, prior to the entry, notice from the owner or occupant that the entry is forbidden or remains upon or in the area after receiving notice from the owner or occupant to depart.

Lisa63

But looking at the law would it be trespass? My mailbox is in front of my house and is actually on a section of my property that has an easement granted to the County for utilities.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think so, as we all RENT here. The neighbors don't actually own the property at all. We are all attached here like row houses. We all have our own entrance & exits.

Thank you ALL who helped answer this question. My husband basically said the same thing. I really appreciate the quick responses as I just felt like I wanted to throw up. They pinned a note to their mailbox yesterday that reads, "If you aren't the mailman, STAY OUT of our mail! They hate us as the landlords asked us to let them know when the neighbors don't pick up after their dogs. It's in violation of our lease. So they have been looking for any excuse for confrontation. Wish we could just move, but can't afford it right now. Too much tension here. Thank you all again.

Lisa63

If I were you I would suggest though that you do stay out of their mailbox in the future.
Yes. I know, believe me, I've learned a harsh lesson from this. Not only the mailbox, but anywhere NEAR their apartment. I've been documenting their behavior & really considering going to the police to make a report just so when they Increase their nasty behavior, the police will be up on the Info. They are very nasty Narcissists. Especially the one who's 55 & acts like a bad kid. I'm also going to write the landlords again & strongly urge them to just NOT renew her lease as she Is increasingly becoming a danger to us- Cigarette butts on our window sill- Giving finger to camera most of the time & just very confrontive more & more, yelling dirty names at us. Landlord wrote me after seeing the last videos & said to avoid her as she wants a confrontation. Even they are learning. But the rent can't be enough to keep her here. The guy on the other side of her also has the Xfinity security sign in front of his place as he said she was actually spitting on his car. The others are young relatively new tenants who don't know her & her room mate yet. So I'm now keeping my blinds closed & being as private as I can be, Documenting everything she does,at least until we can afford to move or the landlords get smart & just let her go. Guys, what would you do In a case like this?

Gail in Georgia

Ignore them.
And their landlord likely doesn't care about any of this as long as they are paying their rent. It's not your business to urge the landlord not the renew their lease.

Gail

Lisa63

Ignore them.
And their landlord likely doesn't care about any of this as long as they are paying their rent. It's not your business to urge the landlord not the renew their lease.

Gail
We do,but the more we do, the more the abusive behavior escalates. That Is why I'm collecting all evidence I can to show police when we make a report. Yes, Narcissists CAN be dangerous. They want a response & when they don't get one they escalate the behavior. The land lords keep saying they want this to be a pleasant place to live. Yes, I will write them after we report to police & just tell them what the police tell us. I can't keep up on her dog poop outside as It will literally put me In danger. They want me to go out & take pics but they have caught me TWICE. I believe when they don't comply, the landlords penalize them financially & they just get madder at me. Yes, I know It's NOT my responsibility to help them out, but up until recently, I was glad to help them as they are 1 hour away.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We do,but the more we do, the more the abusive behavior escalates. That Is why I'm collecting all evidence I can to show police when we make a report. Yes, Narcissists CAN be dangerous. They want a response & when they don't get one they escalate the behavior. The land lords keep saying they want this to be a pleasant place to live. Yes, I will write them after we report to police & just tell them what the police tell us. I can't keep up on her dog poop outside as It will literally put me In danger. They want me to go out & take pics but they have caught me TWICE. I believe when they don't comply, the landlords penalize them financially & they just get madder at me. Yes, I know It's NOT my responsibility to help them out, but up until recently, I was glad to help them as they are 1 hour away.
You know what? Stop picking up the poop. Just report it to the landlord that you'd like the dog poop cleaned up and leave it at that. Let the landlord figure out who's leaving dog poop where. It's not in your lease that you have to pick up other people's dog poop, you aren't getting paid to pick up the dog poop, and clearly you ratting out the poopy neighbors is antagonizing them. The landlord knows at this point that you have poopy neighbors, and doesn't really care.

"Putting out a fire with gasoline" is not recommended.

Lisa63

You also might want to back off using terms that are mental disorders that may or may not have been actually diagnosed by a mental health professional. You could open yourself up to a defamation suit.
Ok, I'll just call her a Bully & A Whack job, How's that? It's not like I call her that to her face, & She Is What we call her.

Lisa63

You know what? Stop picking up the poop. Just report it to the landlord that you'd like the dog poop cleaned up and leave it at that. Let the landlord figure out who's leaving dog poop where. It's not in your lease that you have to pick up other people's dog poop, you aren't getting paid to pick up the dog poop, and clearly you ratting out the poopy neighbors is antagonizing them. The landlord knows at this point that you have poopy neighbors, and doesn't really care.

"Putting out a fire with gasoline" is not recommended.
I DON"T Pick it up, I was just taking pics & reporting It. The Neighbor was having to clean it up. You misunderstand me. And YES, the landlord DOES care, that's why They get mad every time they are FINED for it.
You know what people, thanks for your Imput, I'm done now. Bye

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">