• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the arrest valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tim s.

Pulled over and arrested for dui at Walmart but the citation has the location of arrest as the road past the Walmart is the arrest still valid

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Pulled over and arrested for dui at Walmart but the citation has the location of arrest as the road past the Walmart is the arrest still valid
In what state did the arrest take place? And how far away was the walmart where you were stopped from the road mentioned in the citation? Finally, are you sure the citation says the arrest was made on that road, or is that road the location where the officer observed you driving?

FlyingRon

The arrest is valid as long as the officer had probable cause that a crime was committed. I suspect what your asking is if anything can help you defeat the charges you are seeing as part of that arrest.

In most states, nothing on the actual citation makes a bit of difference. As TM points out it could be where he saw you driving, or it could just be an approximate street address. For example, if the WallyWorld as 3410 Major Highway and they just wrote 3400 Major HIghway, the latter is just a description of the area.

zddoodah

I would imagine that the reference to "the road past the" store is where the violation occurred. Where you happened to have been arrested is of no relevance to anything.

The arrest is valid as long as the officer had probable cause that a crime was committed.
Exactly.

Even if there is some irregularity on the ticket, it won't invalidate the arrest. Consult with a local DUI lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would imagine that the reference to "the road past the" store is where the violation occurred. Where you happened to have been arrested is of no relevance to anything.

Exactly.

Even if there is some irregularity on the ticket, it won't invalidate the arrest. Consult with a local DUI lawyer.
Right. A defense of "I wasn't driving drunk on Main Street, I was driving drunk on Elm Road" just won't cut it.

Mass_Shyster

Right. A defense of "I wasn't driving drunk on Main Street, I was driving drunk on Elm Road" just won't cut it.
In some jurisdictions, a defense of "I wasn't driving drunk on Main Street, I was driving drunk in the Wal-Mart parking lot" could be successful, again, depending on details.

Just Blue

I p.m.'ed the OP asking that he come back and post his state. "Usually" a pm sends a e-mail notice to the OP. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">