• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcr229

Because you are still currently employed, you have the luxury of taking some time to look for another job. Many employers will prefer an experienced worker like you over someone whose work ethic has not been time-tested.
Especially if the new software is a commercially available product widely used in your industry. Keep your current job just long enough to get trained and proficient with it and then leave.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Well, since you are a minority and so is the individual your boss has promoted, it's not racial discrimination. Since he has allowed other women to train, it's not gender discrimination.
I disagree. Strongly. It is not the case that if the boss is the same race as the employee that the employee automatically doesn't have a race discrimination claim because of the actions of the boss. Even bosses that are the same race as the employee can, and sometimes do, discriminate on race even against persons of their own race because that is what the organization the boss works in encourages or what the boss thinks will help him/her get ahead. The same goes with gender. I've seen women discriminate against other women in the work place by promoting a man with fewer qualifications than a female counterpart. That occurs for much the same reasons: institutional bias or thinking that's what will best help the person advance in the organization. The focus needs to be on the actions of the boss, not the race, gender, etc., of the boss.

quincy

I disagree. Strongly. It is not the case that if the boss is the same race as the employee that the employee automatically doesn't have a race discrimination claim because of the actions of the boss. Even bosses that are the same race as the employee can, and sometimes do, discriminate on race even against persons of their own race because that is what the organization the boss works in encourages or what the boss thinks will help him/her get ahead. The same goes with gender. I've seen women discriminate against other women in the work place by promoting a man with fewer qualifications than a female counterpart. That occurs for much the same reasons: institutional bias or thinking that's what will best help the person advance in the organization. The focus needs to be on the actions of the boss, not the race, gender, etc., of the boss.
While true, the employer’s hiring and promotion actions as described by starbar here do not appear to be illegal discrimination.

starbar can speak with a local employment law attorney to get an up close and personal review of the facts - but I strongly recommend that starbar does not again accuse the employer of discrimination in hiring without the personal review first. Any stated or implied threat of a lawsuit will not sit well with the employer.

Bali Hai Again

Even bosses that are the same race as the employee can, and sometimes do, discriminate on race even against persons of their own race because that is what the organization the boss works in encourages or what the boss thinks will help him/her get ahead.

The focus needs to be on the actions of the boss, not the race, gender, etc., of the boss.
An organization that encourages illegal discrimination for any reason today would have to be insane to embark on such a suicidal policy. How would scapegoating the actions the boss help justify the company’s policy of illegal discrimination? And yes it is the boss that will be scapegoated. The ambitious boss knowingly engaged in illegal discrimination would not have a job for long where I work.

My employer is extremely community PR sensitive. 20 attorneys in the legal department. Required training after training as a condition of employment on these ever changing labor laws for ALL employees. Yet the focus is always on the boss from above and below even when they are not aware that any illegal discrimination is taking place or has taken place.

Did the OP indicate her minority? Just because someone promotes a person of minority X, does not mean they are not discriminating against minority Y.

quincy

Did the OP indicate her minority? Just because someone promotes a person of minority X, does not mean they are not discriminating against minority Y.
No. starbar did not indicate to what minority group s/he belongs/identifies.

quincy

Other than to indicate that she was dark skinned and asked if that made a difference.
Right. And being “dark skinned” does not identify a minority group.

What minority group starbar belongs to or identifies with really does not matter here anyway because, based strictly on what has been said by starbar, there does not appear to be any illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">