• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starbar

While true, the employer’s hiring and promotion actions as described by starbar here do not appear to be illegal discrimination.

starbar can speak with a local employment law attorney to get an up close and personal review of the facts - but I strongly recommend that starbar does not again accuse the employer of discrimination in hiring without the personal review first. Any stated or implied threat of a lawsuit will not sit well with the employer.
Ill keep that in mind, thank you :)

starbar

Thank you for addressing our questions and providing some additional information.

It doesn’t sound to me that skin color (or age) played a role in the hiring decision. You are being offered training and you can choose to be a part of the new “team.” Your employer just chose someone else for the position you coveted, perhaps because he feels more comfortable with the other employee taking the lead.

Because you are still currently employed, you have the luxury of taking some time to look for another job. Many employers will prefer an experienced worker like you over someone whose work ethic has not been time-tested.

Good luck.
Thank you :) Well, I was told yesterday that because the new girls have no idea how to schedule international flights that they need me to tell them how to do the job, while they keep the job. I need to keep the flight schedule compliant to the federal regs so Im required to help plus do all the other flight ops admin duties. Id like to decline but I dont know if I can be fired for refusing to do the job. Thats where that is right now.

quincy

So sorry, I keep posting what state im in. Hawaii.
I take it you’re in Hawaii, huh? :)
Thank you :) Well, I was told yesterday that because the new girls have no idea how to schedule international flights that they need me to tell them how to do the job, while they keep the job. I need to keep the flight schedule compliant to the federal regs so Im required to help plus do all the other flight ops admin duties. Id like to decline but I dont know if I can be fired for refusing to do the job. Thats where that is right now.
Yes. You could be fired if you do not do, or if you refuse to do, the job assigned you by your employer, absent any contractual agreement to the contrary.

starbar

I take it you’re in Hawaii, huh? :)

Yes. You could be fired if you do not do, or if you refuse to do, the job assigned you by your employer, absent any contractual agreement to the contrary.
Well, looks like I have nothing to stand on here :/ I guess they get my position and I get to help them keep it. They did try to get me to sign a new employee contract stating that my primary duty is to help keep the flight schedule that they create in regulatory compliance. I refused to sign it and said the original contract will suffice.

quincy

Well, looks like I have nothing to stand on here :/ I guess they get my position and I get to help them keep it. They did try to get me to sign a new employee contract stating that my primary duty is to help keep the flight schedule that they create in regulatory compliance. I refused to sign it and said the original contract will suffice.
Again, you can always have your current contract, the new contract, and your employment situation personally reviewed by an attorney in your area if you feel something is wrong with how you are being treated by your employer. I just don’t see any illegal discrimination in what you have related to us so far.

Good luck, starbar.

starbar

Again, you can always have your current contract, the new contract, and your employment situation personally reviewed by an attorney in your area if you feel something is wrong with how you are being treated by your employer. I just don’t see any illegal discrimination in what you have related to us so far.

Good luck, starbar.
Thank you so much for the guidance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">