• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

Can I request court to order alimony and, if alimony (let us say $500 per month to me) is ordered by the court, still can we both (me and my husband) continue as wife and husband without ever getting divorced?
You can request anything you like. And, as I explained in my prior response, section 61.09 of the Florida Statutes does, in fact, allow for a spouse to "apply to the court for alimony . . . without seeking dissolution of marriage."

deidra5

Finally, after sitting with my children and husband, my husband revealed that he is facing a lawsuit from someone and that if he gives me any money or financial support, the suing party, once wins, can bring me to the case by accusing that support as fraudulent transfer and get that money back from me or else I will also become a debtor for that creditor. My husband does not want me to bring into that. That’s why he encouraged me to go to court for alimony. If the court decides that my husband should pay the alimony then he can legally give me money without worrying about fraudulent transfer.

fraudulent transfer my husband mentioned is http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Finally, after sitting with my children and husband, my husband revealed that he is facing a lawsuit from someone and that if he gives me any money or financial support, the suing party, once wins, can bring me to the case by accusing that support as fraudulent transfer and get that money back from me or else I will also become a debtor for that creditor. My husband does not want me to bring into that. That’s why he encouraged me to go to court for alimony. If the court decides that my husband should pay the alimony then he can legally give me money without worrying about fraudulent transfer.

fraudulent transfer my husband mentioned is http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html
Giving you money to support yourself while living in the same household is not going to be fraudulent. He has a duty to support you. You aren't talking about thousands of dollars but a few hundred for clothing and such. So what you do is go shopping with your husband and have him buy you clothes and such.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
he pays the bills for electricity, water, groceries for the home but did not give me any money to even buy my new cloths.
Of course, it depends what sort of clothes. New evening wear, or basic replacements that we all usually need to replace worn, outgrown, etc. clothing.

LdiJ

I echo Ohiogal. Your husband has gotten that mixed up. If he gives you large amounts of money to hide in separate accounts, then that is the kind of thing that could possibly be a problem. However, giving you a few hundred dollars here or there to buy the things that you need, or even going shopping with him along and him paying for the things that you need, is NOT a problem.

Eekamouse

Now that the kids are grown, you can get a job and buy your own clothes and such so you don't have to depend on your husband. It won't kill you to be a little more self sufficient. jmo.

Reactions: cbg

LdiJ

Now that the kids are grown, you can get a job and buy your own clothes and such so you don't have to depend on your husband. It won't kill you to be a little more self sufficient. jmo.
She doesn't drive or have a car, so while that is a potential long term solution it is not very practical in the short term unless she can find something within walking distance or that she can do at home.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She has marketable skills even in her neighborhood. Running a daycare. Housekeeping. Whatever. She's selling herself short.
I was also pondering the growing season in FL... OP mentioned a vegetable garden - there might be a way to expand that, perhaps have a small farm stand (look into permit requirements)... Perhaps offer gardening services locally, either helping folks start/maintain a veg garden of their own - or flower gardens. A big thing now is both native gardens and pollinator gardens. Another thought wrt the garden at home - herbs, that she could then sell (permit requirements, again) - fresh herbs are always in demand. Could also dry them.... Another option might be learning about medicinal herbs - there are online programs (I know Cornell offers one...) which could be useful to turn it into something profitable.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
She doesn't drive or have a car, so while that is a potential long term solution it is not very practical in the short term unless she can find something within walking distance or that she can do at home.
That's why I suggested letting her neighbors know that she is available for odd jobs.

For example, she gardens, so she knows what weeds look like. My observation has been that in my area the lawn/landscaping services are not detail oriented. Their idea of fall or spring cleanup is very superficial.

LdiJ

That's why I suggested letting her neighbors know that she is available for odd jobs.

For example, she gardens, so she knows what weeds look like. My observation has been that in my area the lawn/landscaping services are not detail oriented. Their idea of fall or spring cleanup is very superficial.
If she is capable of that much physical work (enough to earn money from other people) then that is a great idea.

LdiJ

I was also pondering the growing season in FL... OP mentioned a vegetable garden - there might be a way to expand that, perhaps have a small farm stand (look into permit requirements)... Perhaps offer gardening services locally, either helping folks start/maintain a veg garden of their own - or flower gardens. A big thing now is both native gardens and pollinator gardens. Another thought wrt the garden at home - herbs, that she could then sell (permit requirements, again) - fresh herbs are always in demand. Could also dry them.... Another option might be learning about medicinal herbs - there are online programs (I know Cornell offers one...) which could be useful to turn it into something profitable.
That kind of creates another idea in my mind. It would take her husband making a small investment but if she could create a grow room in her house, she could grow baby vegetables and fresh herbs year round, which might even be of interest to local restaurants. It is an idea I have played around with for years, but I haven't had any extra rooms for years, so it hasn't been possible for me.

I would however, recommend that you have the local police come and take a look at it once its up and running, so that they will know its not a room for growing pot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">