• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked out for no SSN.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pretty easy to find recent stories with a simple Google search, but I can post links to the housing laws later if you wish. Massachusetts and California are two other states with recent stories about this.

And here is a link to the federal law:

https://www.equalhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2012-Immigration-Status-FAQ.pdf
It's not quite so clear-cut. The LL wouldn't be reporting this to ICE as a form of retaliation. Furthermore, the OP offered the information, as opposed to the LL asking for it.

EDIT: I could be wrong on the second point - that was just my interpretation of it.

quincy

Zigner

Zigner, I believe the landlord’s purpose in making a report about a tenant to ICE (or threatening to) is looked at in determining if the landlord violated fair housing or discrimination laws.
Yes - that's what I said. If the purpose isn't as a way to get the tenant out (or otherwise retaliate), then the purpose doesn't violate fair housing or discrimination laws. Proving intent (for either side) may prove difficult.

quincy

Yes - that's what I said. If the purpose isn't as a way to get the tenant out (or otherwise retaliate), then the purpose doesn't violate fair housing or discrimination laws. Proving intent (for either side) may prove difficult.
What needs to be looked at is the way a state’s human rights laws or civil rights laws or Immigrant Tenant Protection Act (in California) (or similar state laws) are worded. Some state laws make it illegal to inquire about immigration status (directly or indirectly) or act against a tenant based on immigration status - echoing federal housing laws and federal discrimination laws.

Retaliation does not need to be a factor.

Zigner

What needs to be looked at is the way a state’s human rights laws or civil rights laws or Immigrant Tenant Protection Act (in California) (or similar state laws) are worded. Some state laws make it illegal to inquire about immigration status (directly or indirectly) or act against a tenant based on immigration status - echoing federal housing laws and federal discrimination laws.

Retaliation does not need to be a factor.
Ok, but the OP isn't in CA (or a similar state). The OP is in Florida. Does Florida state law address this matter?

quincy

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

Pretty easy to find recent stories with a simple Google search, but I can post links to the housing laws later if you wish. Massachusetts and California are two other states with recent stories about this.

https://www.equalhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2012-Immigration-Status-FAQ.pdf
It must not be "pretty easy" or I assume you would have done it. You show me one law that says a LL can't report a suspected crime, not in retaliation, and I'll like every comment you make on this board for a week.

quincy

It must not be "pretty easy" or I assume you would have done it. You show me one law that says a LL can't report a suspected crime, not in retaliation, and I'll like every comment you make on this board for a week.
I will take my response to your question about New York law off the board instead of hijacking any further this thread about Florida law and HectorK’s concerns.

PayrollHRGuy

I posted my original comment as a warning to the OP bit to get your comment. If the LL simply desires to not rent to undocumented immigrants there is no law local, state, or federal that would stand up to 1st amendment scrutiny.

It would be no different from a LL that didn't want to rent to those that use illegal drugs on the premises if they reported the illegal activity.

LdiJ

I also know lots of people who were here on temporary visas, business visas or other types of visas who were able to rent appartments with no problem, and they didn't have SSNs. It is true that most of the rentals were six months or less, but nevertheless, they were able to rent. None of them had SSNs.

PayrollHRGuy

I also know lots of people who were here on temporary visas, business visas or other types of visas who were able to rent appartments with no problem, and they didn't have SSNs. It is true that most of the rentals were six months or less, but nevertheless, they were able to rent. None of them had SSNs.
Because they showed or could have shown their passport and visa to the LL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">