• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landloard is telling me to pay another $38.00 and fill out the application to rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TDeseguirant01

What is the name of your state? WA

Landloard is telling me to pay another $38.00 and fill out the application to rent document.

Explain: My Fiance rented the apartment in sept. 2006 - My daughter and I moved in with him that same month - (9/06) -

The Landlord stated I had to pay $38.00 and fill out the rental application, so I did.
I was told later that my credit was bad and they were not putting me on the lease.
(Well I believe its against the law to have someone in your place and not on a lease after 30days)

I LIVE IN KING COUNTY

Well, so not to cause any waves, I never argured with the Landlord, until the day came and she told my daughter to get out of the pool because she is only a guest and guests arn't allowed by themselfs.
So I went into her office and began to explain that no matter what, she knows that my daughter is under 18, you don't ever speak to my child, further more, I am the one, and have been the only one paying the rent for that apartment... (Boyfriend had to have surgey, etc)
So the landlord stated she didn't care where the money came from and no way is she putting me on the lease.
So i did explain before I polite left her office w/daughter - I explained that no matter what, I do know my rights, if I wasn't working so much than I would take the time to show her what they really are. As far as not puting me on that lease, she has done an illegal action, but for the better part, I was going to leave it as it was, unless she feels brave enough to try and speak to my daughter again, or make her feel less than in front of anyone ever again.

So Now, she (landlord) gives my Fiance another Application for Rent Doc. and tells him to have me fill it out again, write another check for $38.00 and take her my ID..

WHY DO I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN? I HAVE LIVED HERE SINCE 9/06 - NEVER MOVED OUT OR BEEN GONE FROM APARTMENT LONGER THAN 3 DAYS.

QUIT HONESTLY, i DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BE PAYING FOR IT AGAIN.

Thanks,
Tiffany DeSeguirant

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? WA

Landloard is telling me to pay another $38.00 and fill out the application to rent document.

Explain: My Fiance rented the apartment in sept. 2006 - My daughter and I moved in with him that same month - (9/06) -
ok, explain...
The Landlord stated I had to pay $38.00 and fill out the rental application, so I did. I was told later that my credit was bad and they were not putting me on the lease.
Yep... it's quite difficult to find a place to live when your credit is in the toilet.
(Well I believe its against the law to have someone in your place and not on a lease after 30days)
I don't know about against the law, but it very well may be against the terms of the lease agreement your boyfriend signed.
I LIVE IN KING COUNTY
That'll be a good start to look up municipal codes AS WELL AS state law.
Well, so not to cause any waves, I never argured with the Landlord, until the day came and she told my daughter to get out of the pool because she is only a guest and guests arn't allowed by themselfs.
So, if the pool is for the use of the tenants and their guests while the tenant is present, and your daughter, since she is not on the lease is not a tenant, she should not be using the pool unless there is a tenant present (that is not you).
So I went into her office and began to explain that no matter what, she knows that my daughter is under 18, you don't ever speak to my child,
Does that apply only to the landlord? Or does that go to the police officer, the hospital staff, crossing guard and random person on the street. Do you not allow ANYONE to speak to your child? Why can't the landlord, who is in process of conducting her business, speak to someone on the grounds of the property she is employed to manage? You are WAY off base here.
further more, I am the one, and have been the only one paying the rent for that apartment... (Boyfriend had to have surgey, etc)
What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?
So the landlord stated she didn't care where the money came from and no way is she putting me on the lease.
THAT'S RIGHT!!!!
So i did explain before I polite left her office w/daughter - I explained that no matter what, I do know my rights, if I wasn't working so much than I would take the time to show her what they really are.
You seem to have some extra time here now, why don't you post here what you THINK your rights are as a visitor? Further, pull out your boyfriend's lease and post here EXACTLY what he signed about guests and visitors.
As far as not puting me on that lease, she has done an illegal action,
Why? Because your credit sucks and you are a financial risk? She doesn't have to rent to anyone she doesn't want to, unless you can prove she is discriminating against you and you are a member of a protected party under the law. Fortunately for landlords everywhere, those with crappy credit aren't a protected class.
but for the better part, I was going to leave it as it was, unless she feels brave enough to try and speak to my daughter again, or make her feel less than in front of anyone ever again.
If I were the landlord's attorney, I would take your "threat" straight to the courts and get an injunction against you and have you removed from the property for tresspassing.
So Now, she (landlord) gives my Fiance another Application for Rent Doc. and tells him to have me fill it out again, write another check for $38.00 and take her my ID..
She has that right. Do you want to live in her building?
WHY DO I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN?
Because your application was denied the first time and credit reports and background checks cost money. You don't have to do it again, of course, however, you don't have to live there anyway.
I HAVE LIVED HERE SINCE 9/06 - NEVER MOVED OUT OR BEEN GONE FROM APARTMENT LONGER THAN 3 DAYS.
That's probably more than enough reason to throw you, your child AND your boyfriend right out of the building... which personally, since you seem to hell bent on causing confusion, she should do.
QUIT HONESTLY, i DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BE PAYING FOR IT AGAIN.
Then get your own place. You're already paying the rent there.... right? So you obviously can afford rent of your own.
Your welcome, however, I believe after getting the responses you're about to get, you'll be less thankful post by post.

CourtClerk

If the lease was up, and your boyfriend remained, then he became a month to month tenant, and all other clauses, except for the term of the lease are still in full effect. No matter how you try and slice it, he's in violation.

Alaska landlord

Thinking you know the law and being able to prove it are two different things. You need to apologize for your erratic behavior and take care of your child before someone finds her face down on the bottom of the pool.:p

Last edited:

las365

Ooooooh, AL, I know you meant that to be humorous, but it's just not. I wish you would edit it.

OP, I can't quite figure out why the LL hasn't evicted you before, but you are pretty much guaranteeing yourself an invitation to move out. You should start looking.

Cvillecpm

Ditto AL * daughter was wrong to be in the pool UNACCOMPANIED by an adult resident and you were wrong to get in the manager's face.

You do NOT know the WA L-T laws and your ignorance will get you REMOVED/EVICTED and HOMELESS....

You are not a TENANT. You have never been allowed to sign a lease to BECOME a TENANT and the landlord does not WANT YOU AS A TENANT....he can give your BF 30 written notice and terminate the tenancy.

xylene

Ditto AL * daughter was wrong to be in the pool UNACCOMPANIED by an adult resident and you were wrong to get in the manager's face.

You do NOT know the WA L-T laws and your ignorance will get you REMOVED/EVICTED and HOMELESS....

You are not a TENANT. You have never been allowed to sign a lease to BECOME a TENANT and the landlord does not WANT YOU AS A TENANT....he can give your BF 30 written notice and terminate the tenancy.
Blah blah blah.

Tenancy is not solely created by a signature.

Occupants have rights, and occupants can (do) become tenants when the original term lease expires and the the occupants pay the rent and the landlord accepts it.

The only thing factually correct is that the landlord could give them 30 days notice.

Why don't you castigate this stupid landlord for allowing this situation to occur? They were content to receive rent. Now their right is a 30 day notice. Not an arbitrary fee.

Now if these tenants want to avoid a 30 notice and pay the fee, that is there business. ;)

Cvillecpm

OP's BF's landlords has CLEARLY shown he does not want her as a tenant which is why he is charging the $38 to KEEP her from being a tenant....he is taking ALL necessary steps to not give her rights as a tenant.

I agree, he needs to give them ALL a 30 day notice; however, he may feel for the BF who apparently has been a good tenant for 1+ years.

xylene

OP's BF's landlords has CLEARLY shown he does not want her as a tenant which is why he is charging the $38 to KEEP her from being a tenant....he is taking ALL necessary steps to not give her rights as a tenant.
The cat is out of that bag the day the lease expired while she was an occupant and the landlord decided to accept rent from her. She is a M2M tenant.

The needed step to avoid that is past, and would have been to give notice at the end of the lease, or require a new lease with only the BF as tenant be en force, or at the minimum only accept rent from the boyfriend, not whatever occupant the landlord didn't want to create a lease with.

Alaska landlord

The cat is out of that bag the day the lease expired while she was an occupant and the landlord decided to accept rent from her. She is a M2M tenant.

The needed step to avoid that is past, and would have been to give notice at the end of the lease, or require a new lease with only the BF as tenant be en force, or at the minimum only accept rent from the boyfriend, not whatever occupant the landlord didn't want to create a lease with.
You are assuming that just because "she" paid the rent that she is a tenant. Many tenants have friends or family members pay their rent. That does not make the rent payers tenants. Now if OP can prove that she receives mail there, and has been living there for awhile, then she is a tenant.

Regardless, The LL can give the BF an alternative, get rid of her or start packing.

xylene

Many tenants have friends or family members pay their rent. That does not make the rent payers tenants.
If you have a lease term tenant with a an occupant (legal approved or otherwise) and the lease expires, and you allow the occupant to pay rent, rather than insist on a lease term lease or that the original lease tenant and the occupant get out, you have created a M2M tenancy with the former occupant.

Alaska landlord

Irrelevant, and were I to be in the same situation I would accept the rent payment, cash it and give the “occupant” her 30 day notice. Occupant or guest it would take just as long to be eject her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">