• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord retaliation for tenant demanding local COVID-19 emergency orders are followed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

OK. Your view seems to be growing more clear.

If the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to rent to me again out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, perhaps you might consider that to be landlord retaliation.

However, if the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to waive the 4% rent increase out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, that would not constitute landlord retaliation because the 4% rent increase was something I had previously agreed to while signing the lease.

Thank you for writing your kind hopes.
The bottom line is you gave your notice of non-renewal. If LL chooses to lease the place/room to a new tenant at a reduced price, even if he is doing that as a dig at you, he can legally do so.

Just Blue

In looking over rental prices in Massachusetts for the last few years, the average prices have climbed since last year. The 4% increase actually might have been a good deal.
My daughter had a beautiful place in the South End of Boston...it cost her and her roomies almost 5k per month...OVER 10 YEARS AGO. I shudder to think what the rent is now.

quincy

My daughter had a beautiful place in the South End of Boston...it cost her and her roomies almost 5k per month...OVER 10 YEARS AGO. I shudder to think what the rent is now.
The rents are ridiculously high in Cambridge and some areas of Boston. We could never get those rents in my area of Michigan - and our rents are actually considered high.

reenzz

OK. Your view is that I signed a lease and the lease is on me no matter what. Your view is that even if the landlord had sent an email stating explicitly in writing that he was refusing to rent to me again out of retribution for me demanding that local COVID-19 emergency orders be followed, that would not constitute landlord retaliation.

I understand your view now. Thank you again for stating it.
Your moving out....so your happy, the landlords happy and I bet the other occupants are happy. Why exactly are you harping on this retaliation issue?

quincy

Your moving out....so your happy, the landlords happy and I bet the other occupants are happy. Why exactly are you harping on this retaliation issue?
If Alexander was looking for a pay day, I am thinking he’s probably not going to find it in a lawsuit against his landlord. :)

Just Blue

The rents are ridiculously high in Cambridge and some areas of Boston. We could never get those rents in my area of Michigan - and our rents are actually considered high.
For grins and giggles I looked up her old place to see what it was going for now...it sold for almost 1.7 mil. 2BR, 1 1/2 bath living/dining area kitchen. It's a really beautiful area of Boston though.
My nephew just built a big home (5 k sq. feet) on an acre of land in Newburyport for just a bit more...1.8 mil.

Housing in Massachusetts is very pricey.

alexander468

In looking over rental prices in Massachusetts for the last few years, the average prices have climbed since last year. The 4% increase actually might have been a good deal.
What you're writing might be true for the entire state. Rents in Boston and Cambridge are a different story.

quincy

Most September rents in Boston and Cambridge have already been set for months.
There are still vacancies. The average prices in rent in Cambridge increased from September 2020 to September 2021. No average figure estimates are available yet (to my knowledge) for September 2021 to September 2022.

You should also remember that you rented your place at a time when rents were low due to Covid.

Last edited:

alexander468

There are still vacancies. The average prices in rent in Cambridge increased from September 2020 to September 2021. No average figure estimates are available yet (to my knowledge) for September 2021 to September 2022.
When I google "cambridge rent 2021" and click on the first result from zumper, I see that there has been a 6% decrease since last year.

quincy

You already know.
I do? I think I only know that your rent was 4% less than what it was going to be in September had you not terminated your lease.

My understanding is that average rent increased in Cambridge in 2021 by 4.1%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">