• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer sent email for motion to withdraw from my case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthomas42

A state court judge doesn't not have any jurisdiction over federal stimulus money. A state court judge only has jurisdiction to make a child support order.
Thank you for that information. I will take that under advisement when I speak with a new attorney. I appreciate your response.

LdiJ

There is money that she was overpaid when my attorney did not file the termination of support with my employer right away. She is obligated to return that overpayment. Thank you for your response.
Obligated as in what you believe is morally right, or obligated as in the judge ordered her to pay you back that money?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There is money that she was overpaid when my attorney did not file the termination of support with my employer right away. She is obligated to return that overpayment. Thank you for your response.
No. Legally she is NOT obligated to return that money if it was collected per a valid court order, prior to filing for termination of support.

Look, you're in Indiana. You should have been communicating with your lawyer in terms Indiana parenting plans guidelines. I haven't seen any evidence that you are aware that they exist. Here's some light reading: Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines.

A reasonable person uses the guidelines, and expresses succinctly the legal reasons for deviating from standard parenting time/plans.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Maybe, maybe not. In addition to not looking at the retainer agreement, did you look at detailed bills you received?

dthomas42

Obligated as in what you believe is morally right, or obligated as in the judge ordered her to pay you back that money?
There was an order to terminate my support to her. The order existed about 1 month before my attorney sent the document to my employer to stop the withholding of the money. Once the order was received, it stopped immediately. Infact, I received the last payment taken out of my check back from the state the next week.

dthomas42

No. Legally she is NOT obligated to return that money if it was collected per a valid court order, prior to filing for termination of support.

Look, you're in Indiana. You should have been communicating with your lawyer in terms Indiana parenting plans guidelines. I haven't seen any evidence that you are aware that they exist. Here's some light reading: Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines.

A reasonable person uses the guidelines, and expresses succinctly the legal reasons for deviating from standard parenting time/plans.
Yes, she is. There was a valid court order that terminated the support. It was not given to my employer right away.

I have been communicating with my attorney and we are operating under PTG.

Thank you. Have a great day.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you for that information. I will take that under advisement when I speak with a new attorney. I appreciate your response.
Interesting. I said this in post 15:
And the judge cannot overrule federal law. You need to realize that.

I repeat my questions for you in the post you reported: Then how did you get temporary sole custody? Because something had to be alleged in order for that to have happened. Why should mom have to ask your permission for anything? What should you have to ask her permission to do with your child? And if you can't communicate with mom then you maybe shouldn't be custodian.

LdiJ

There was an order to terminate my support to her. The order existed about 1 month before my attorney sent the document to my employer to stop the withholding of the money. Once the order was received, it stopped immediately. Infact, I received the last payment taken out of my check back from the state the next week.
Then she is not obligated to return it until a judge orders her to return it.

dthomas42

Maybe, maybe not. In addition to not looking at the retainer agreement, did you look at detailed bills you received?
I have looked over all of my bills. I looked at my retainer agreement but did not look at it in detail. Thank you for your response.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So she has not been ordered to pay anything back to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">