• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lethal self defense without a gun

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

No, you never in any state have the right to "shoot him to death". What many of the various states do have are laws that allow you to use various degrees of force to protect yourself and others.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. It doesn't matter whether it is your landlord or a random stranger who broke in. You are protected by self-defense laws only up to the minimum that it takes to get out from under the situation. If the minimum violence you can use to escape the situation is none, then that's what you're allowed to use. Doesn't matter if it's your landlord, a spouse, or who it is; doesn't matter if you have a gun, a knife, a baseball bat or your own two hands. As soon as you cross the line from the minimum it would take to defend yourself, you are liable under the law.

Keith502

No. It doesn't matter whether it is your landlord or a random stranger who broke in. You are protected by self-defense laws only up to the minimum that it takes to get out from under the situation. If the minimum violence you can use to escape the situation is none, then that's what you're allowed to use. Doesn't matter if it's your landlord, a spouse, or who it is; doesn't matter if you have a gun, a knife, a baseball bat or your own two hands. As soon as you cross the line from the minimum it would take to defend yourself, you are liable under the law.
What does "minimum" mean in this situation, exactly? Does that mean that if I have a gun, I have to fire a warning shot at the attackers feet or shoot him in his leg or shoulder before I go for a kill shot?

quincy

I suggest you stop looking for a legal way to kill your landlord. Your intent has been made clear in your posts to this forum and can (potentially) be used against you should any harm come to your landlord.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Minimum means that you don't want to use your gun at all. If you use it and it is found at trial, and you will be tried, that you could have gotten away without using the gun, then you will be found guilty of some degree of murder or homicide.

One more time, just so it is clear for those following along at home. You cannot legally kill your landlord.

Keith502

Minimum means that you don't want to use your gun at all. If you use it and it is found at trial, and you will be tried, that you could have gotten away without using the gun, then you will be found guilty of some degree of murder or homicide.

One more time, just so it is clear for those following along at home. You cannot legally kill your landlord.
So if you were in your home, sitting on the couch, watching TV, and a stranger suddenly burst through your door and viciously attacked you, and you had a gun nearby, what would you do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Keith; if you shoot your landlord, no matter what the circumstances, you are going to be arrested and tried for some version of homicide. If your lawyer is able to articulate the circumstances in the right way, you *might* get a "not guilty by reason of self defense" but it's more likely that you'll end up in jail. No one here is going to be able to give you a set of circumstances where you can shoot your landlord and have nothing happen to you, because no such set of circumstances exists. And these forums are discoverable - we have had more than one poster come back and admit that what he had posted on these forums got him convicted. So I very strongly recommend that you stop looking for a situation where you can kill your landlord with no repercussions, and get yourself into counseling tomorrow if possible.

Keith502

Keith; if you shoot your landlord, no matter what the circumstances, you are going to be arrested and tried for some version of homicide. If your lawyer is able to articulate the circumstances in the right way, you *might* get a "not guilty by reason of self defense" but it's more likely that you'll end up in jail. No one here is going to be able to give you a set of circumstances where you can shoot your landlord and have nothing happen to you, because no such set of circumstances exists. And these forums are discoverable - we have had more than one poster come back and admit that what he had posted on these forums got him convicted. So I very strongly recommend that you stop looking for a situation where you can kill your landlord with no repercussions, and get yourself into counseling tomorrow if possible.
You still haven't answered the question.

Keith502

Yes, I have.
No, you haven't. I asked a simple question: what would you do if a man burst into your home and suddenly attacked you and you had a gun nearby? By not answering the question you are being evasive and disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">