• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liver and dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deere run

What is the name of your state? iowa. my s.o. has cirrhosis of the liver which is at the worst stage. 2 days before he found out about his condition he had 1 drink and drove to town. got stopped and arrested for dui. the test showed he was drunk but his liver has failed and that would make the test show the wrong reading since the liver is not able to filter as it should. the courts have postponed the sentencing since he not able to spend there required 2 nights in jail at this time ( already spent one, at time of arrest) his health will never improve and it would be great to get this matter over with. do we have any case that the liver made the tests on 1 drink seem like 10 drinks? 1st dui,53 years old, now on disability and presumed to have 1 year left to live.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

deere run said:
What is the name of your state? iowa. my s.o. has cirrhosis of the liver which is at the worst stage. 2 days before he found out about his condition he had 1 drink and drove to town. got stopped and arrested for dui. the test showed he was drunk but his liver has failed and that would make the test show the wrong reading since the liver is not able to filter as it should. the courts have postponed the sentencing since he not able to spend there required 2 nights in jail at this time ( already spent one, at time of arrest) his health will never improve and it would be great to get this matter over with. do we have any case that the liver made the tests on 1 drink seem like 10 drinks? 1st dui,53 years old, now on disability and presumed to have 1 year left to live.

My response:

First DUI, but 100th time driving drunk. Frankly, I wish his time were shorter, but I wouldn't worry if I were you. He won't outlive his trial - - the stress should be enough to kill him. And, as Martha Stewart says, "that's a good thing."

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

deere run said:
While it is generally true as IAAL said that for every DUI you weren't caught 100 times, however, there is a genetic disease that can cause Cirrhosis of the liver to sneak up on you with small or even no amounts of alcohol. Unfortunately except for a liver transplant it is not reverseable or cureable and even a transplant is another clock. This disorder is called A1AD your SO should ask his doctor to test for this disorder, if the serum levels are low, then it could be a mitigating factor and it might qualify him for a transplant. The DUI may have saved his life in one sense. If he has normal levels, he could still have a form of A1AD but not the form affecting the liver and also confirming the claim of only 1 drink, this time. I cannot predict how a judge would rule in this instance.

deere run

you are a really cold hearted person to say that, that is really the lowest thing i have ever heard said about anybody. and no not 100th time driving drunk, he don't have a pea brain like you have. one drink, a steak dinner, a little salt, a cup of coffie, anything! is all it takes to make the tests go wacky(like you) when the liver has failed. if there is anyone here who can answer my question as an adult please do so, iaal is in another world and his thoughts are not what i consider to be human thoughts, they are of some crazed animal that needs to be put out of their misery. K.M.A.

rmet4nzkx

deere run said:
you are a really cold hearted person to say that, that is really the lowest thing i have ever heard said about anybody. and no not 100th time driving drunk, he don't have a pea brain like you have. one drink, a steak dinner, a little salt, a cup of coffie, anything! is all it takes to make the tests go wacky(like you) when the liver has failed. if there is anyone here who can answer my question as an adult please do so, iaal is in another world and his thoughts are not what i consider to be human thoughts, they are of some crazed animal that needs to be put out of their misery. K.M.A.
Hello :confused:
Did you even read my post???????????

deere run

he is on transplant list, and his cirrhosis is from hepatitis not drinking. tp center says that to expect a long wait due to lack of donors. we are looking into living donor at this time. and if iaal dies and donates any part of himself let me know so we can refuse it if it is offered to us. thanks

rmet4nzkx

deere run said:
he is on transplant list, and his cirrhosis is from hepatitis not drinking. tp center says that to expect a long wait due to lack of donors. we are looking into living donor at this time. and if iaal dies and donates any part of himself let me know so we can refuse it if it is offered to us. thanks
Still have them check the ATT levels even if you believe it was caused by hep, A1AD can make a person at higher risk for Hep also.

Also since you are claiming a common law marriage, start refering to him as your husband. File your income tax as married joint. Use his last name, when he is approved for SSDI be appointed as his rep payee as his spouse. Since he is not competent, be appointed his guardian as his spouse. Do you understand?

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)2 days before he found out about his condition he had 1 drink and drove to town. (QUOTE)

To the bar? He did get a DUI, and obviously if you claim one drink for him would show higher , then why did you let him drive?
Bottom line, he was DUI, no matter what the reason.

Some Random Guy

Do you have any medical proof that the liver disease will actually cause impairment. The liver filters alcohol and other waste products out of the blood stream. If it is not working properly, then the alcohol will take longer to be processed out by the body. This means that you will be drunk longer. It does not mean that 1 drink has the inebriating effect of 10. but it may mean that that that 1 drink stays in the bloodstream for 10 hours instead of 1 hour.

rmet4nzkx

Some Random Guy said:
Do you have any medical proof that the liver disease will actually cause impairment. The liver filters alcohol and other waste products out of the blood stream. If it is not working properly, then the alcohol will take longer to be processed out by the body. This means that you will be drunk longer. It does not mean that 1 drink has the inebriating effect of 10. but it may mean that that that 1 drink stays in the bloodstream for 10 hours instead of 1 hour.
I think her contention is that he was unaware of his disease and/or that he was in liver failure, thus 1 drink should not have resulted in a DUI if he were a healthy person. There are medical explainations to account for this but I don't think OP will be back.

In Liver failure, the toxins (metabolites) build up in the blood indsidiously, impairing the person's executive brain functions so that they do not preceive impairment or that they are intoxicated. Not too long ago, LittleLisa also got a DUI when she was begining liver failure as a result of being overRx, her DUI saved her life. https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=266577

deere run

thanks for the advice and i am not thanking iaal, by the way does that iaal stand for I AM A LOOSER? or better yet I AM A..., never mind i best not say it! he had all the test done made possible to man(seems like) and every one of them was off, not one was a normal reading, ALT,AST,BILIRUBIN,ALBUMIN,SODIUM, etc.. all of them. thanks for answering! not you iaal! i will look further into it on monday and maybe get the matter over. and to the person who asked if he was going to the bar... no he was taking food to his brothers house who is disabled due to a shooting which he was driving through a section of town on his way home from work and happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, somebody was shooting somebody and the bullet hit him in the head causing brain damage, so we kind of been helping out with food , washing , whatever. we don't ever go to bars..............

rmet4nzkx

deere run said:
thanks for the advice and i am not thanking iaal, by the way does that iaal stand for I AM A LOOSER? or better yet I AM A..., never mind i best not say it! he had all the test done made possible to man(seems like) and every one of them was off, not one was a normal reading, ALT,AST,BILIRUBIN,ALBUMIN,SODIUM, etc.. all of them. thanks for answering! not you iaal! i will look further into it on monday and maybe get the matter over. and to the person who asked if he was going to the bar... no he was taking food to his brothers house who is disabled due to a shooting which he was driving through a section of town on his way home from work and happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, somebody was shooting somebody and the bullet hit him in the head causing brain damage, so we kind of been helping out with food , washing , whatever. we don't ever go to bars..............
The test I was refering to is NOT a liver function test, it is a separate test.

deere run

where you referring to the ATP test which is an inherited desease of iron over load? i am sure that test was done and i will look it up in morning in all the piles of paperwork i have. and yes the liver does cause impairment. the ammonia levels and other factors creat toxins in the brain to build up and cause, in some cases, very severe of mental confusion and sometimes coma like states, and it can throw your balance off causing frequent falls, it can make you not even remember who you or your family are, the list goes on and on. when he has red meat, the next day he is confused, tired, emotional, and talks of some wierd far off things that strictly amaze me. if he has a hot dog, the next day it is really wild! his speach gets all slurred and he repeats himself, and he is in a total other world that is hard for a healthy person to understand if you never experienced it with someone you know with cirrhosis or any other liver disease. the liver is an amazing piece of equiptment we have!!!!! let me know on that ATT or is it ATP?

CdwJava

As has been said, the liver will help filter the alcohol from the system. In the meantime, the alcohol remains in the system and is in the concentration that the chemical test implies. Many things can effect the rate of absorption - including food, metabolism, temperature, and even the liver ... but the BAC is what it is. If it takes longer to purge from the system, then the person consumin gthe alcohol remains impaired even longer.

His liver problem should have no effect on the blood or breath test.

And while I am sorry that he is so ill, I cannot see using that as an excuse to permit the DUI charge to go away. If he can't go to jail, then I can only assume that his license will be suspended for a time and he may have to spend time on home arrest (or whatever your state might allow as an alternative to custody).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">