• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail carrier gives package to wrong person at wrong address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

The person who received the package from the mail carrier was arrested today by the Sheriff.
Only a misdemeanor charge, but still got arrested.
I'll keep you up to date when I hear more.
Was the person arrested for theft of your mail or for something unrelated?

NC1

Arrested for theft of the package.
He made bail yesterday evening and I do not know what the court date is.

The postal inspector has not done anything yet as far as I know, maybe he is waiting to see how this goes?

NC1

Tomorrow is court day for the scumbag. It was still on the docket today so I doubt it will be rescheduled.
Lets see if he shows up.

justalayman

I think you are not being truthful. You say the postal inspector is setting back and waiting for something?

The postal inspector is who would be behind the prosecution. There is no theft unless they say there is theft

On top of that the guy that accepted the package most likely did not do anything illegal. Accepting the package is not illegal. Unless it can be proven he had intent to steal the package, he committed no crime. If he did give it to another person to deliver he could be liable in a civil action but I see nothing criminal unless there is mmore that you have not said here.

On top of that the insurance denial is unlikely. The mail was not delivered. A postal delivery person giving the package to some person not related to the matter is not a valid delivery of the package. Giving it to the neighbor would be no different than giving it to me. The usps is responsible to deliver the package to the addressee or to their premises but that did not happen here.

single317dad

You say the postal inspector is setting back and waiting for something?

The postal inspector is who would be behind the prosecution. There is no theft unless they say there is theft
In 2008 I had a Paypal claim. Standard scam, buyer receives item, claims it's broken, opens a claim, sends back a different item. Paypal refunds his money, I'm stuck with a broken laptop. Postal inspectors weren't interested because all packages were delivered and there were no claims of tampering with mail (though his interstate scam was run via the mail; that didn't seem to bother them.) eBay and Paypal weren't interested despite my photo evidence that he returned a different laptop. His local sheriff did take interest though, and amazingly my laptop appeared (though a little less new than before.) I sent the department an empty return box and had it back in under two weeks from my first phone call. No arrests were made, but the sergeant I worked with took the issue seriously. I consider myself lucky.

The local police are bound to investigate crime in their jurisdiction. Whether they prioritize the theft of a package depends on them and their workload. Assuming a crime occurred here (and, like you, I'm not convinced based on the evidence presented, but apparently the investigator and prosecutor are), it occurred after the package was "delivered". Many, myself included, have loose agreements with their carrier to leave packages in a designated place (I have a wooden box on my porch that is not an approved mailbox), at a neighbor's, or with an apartment manager.

Last edited:

Proserpina

The person who received the package from the mail carrier was arrested today by the Sheriff.
Only a misdemeanor charge, but still got arrested.
I'll keep you up to date when I hear more.

Given that few here think you're being honest, it wouldn't harm you to share the court details, right? Just to prove us wrong?

You have such a grave lack of understanding it's almost comical.

:cool:

ecmst12

I suspect that the local police had been waiting for an excuse to arrest this guy, if he's known to be involved in drugs. IF this story is true.

NC1

All I know is what I know.

justalayman -
As far as I know, the postal inspector has not formally done anything yet, it is not like we are best buddys and calls me all the time because he is bored. I was assuming that he is possibly awaiting the result of the case in the local court. As to what he is thinking, I have no idea. Let us all know if you do.
The scumbag did obviously do something illegal to end up being arrested and getting a court date. I am sure the detective did his job, and did in fact determine that the guy needed to be arrested after his investigation was complete. Or do you believe this was a false arrest?
As for the insurance denial, I did inform you above that the mail carrier falsified the record - this fact was admitted by the carrier when confronted with the issue. Whoever handled the initial claim did not have this information so they denied it by looking up the tracking number and seeing it marked as delivered. They did nothing more to look into it until I filed the appeal and still waiting the outcome.

prosperpina -
I had no idea you spoke for everyone here since you claim few think I am being honest. Was there a poll I missed? :)
The court details? Oh yes, he requested a continuance. He did not have a lawyer. As to why he failed to have one I have no idea. I also heard he has two other issues pending before the same judge and this little scofflaw goes for continuance after continuance. It's only a matter of time until he runs out of those and marks one of them "Final".
Exactly what makes you believe I have a grave lack of understanding? It appears that thus far I have been right as evidenced by the arrest and court date. I really do not believe that this particular case is within your experience or understanding since you find the events as being "comical".

single317dad -
As you yourself witnessed, there are some jurisdictions that take any crime seriously and pursue it. Had this happened in NYC, they would have shown me the door and said Have a Nice Day!

I don't know why any of you have a hard time believing what happened and all the events to date. I seem to have a fairly good track record when it comes to looking up the law and applying it correctly in court. I have won 5 out of 5 times.
If you would like, I could expand on how I went to court and beat a ticket for driving the wrong way down a one-way street. I got stopped in the middle of the block, it was clearly marked, it was 2:30pm and sunny, there were witnesses, and the whole thing was recorded on a dash cam. Who here thinks they could beat that? What would be your first thing to look into? Lets see how good YOU are.

justalayman

to the postal inspector not doing anything;

IF this guy committed a crime, it is a federal crime 185 USC 1708. That is why the postal inspector would be first in line to prosecute. They surely would not care about the disposition of some state level charges, if there are actually any.

but since you are so informed, what is the exact charge filed?

The scumbag did obviously do something illegal to end up being arrested and getting a court date.
Oh, so you have already convicted him. Never heard of innocent until proven guilty? There are a lot of people arrested that are either innocent or found not guilty. Heck, they just let a couple guys out of prison, after 30 years, that were exonerated by DNA evidence not available at the time of their CONFESSIONS,

I am sure the detective did his job, and did in fact determine that the guy needed to be arrested after his investigation was complete. Or do you believe this was a false arrest?
in this sort of situation it is not the detective that seeks the warrant. It is the prosecutor but again, a lot of innocent people are arrested. Just because a person is arrested and is either innocent or found not guilty means there was a false arrest. It requires probable cause, not proof beyond a reasonable doubt, to obtain an arrest warrant.

As for the insurance denial, I did inform you above that the mail carrier falsified the record - this fact was admitted by the carrier when confronted with the issue.
so how does this equate to a theft by the recipient?

I don't know why any of you have a hard time believing what happened and all the events to date.
because your "facts" do not support your claims of actions resulting.

I got stopped in the middle of the block, it was clearly marked, it was 2:30pm and sunny, there were witnesses, and the whole thing was recorded on a dash cam. Who here thinks they could beat that? What would be your first thing to look into? Lets see how good YOU are
I wouldn't be stupid enough to do that so I couldn't really care less as to what happened in your situation.

but even with that; a lot of guilty people get off for myriad reasons. Some idiot getting off such a ticket is just another example of the inequities in our judicial system.

Silverplum

All I know is what I know.

justalayman -
As far as I know, the postal inspector has not formally done anything yet, it is not like we are best buddys and calls me all the time because he is bored. I was assuming that he is possibly awaiting the result of the case in the local court. As to what he is thinking, I have no idea. Let us all know if you do.
The scumbag did obviously do something illegal to end up being arrested and getting a court date. I am sure the detective did his job, and did in fact determine that the guy needed to be arrested after his investigation was complete. Or do you believe this was a false arrest?
As for the insurance denial, I did inform you above that the mail carrier falsified the record - this fact was admitted by the carrier when confronted with the issue. Whoever handled the initial claim did not have this information so they denied it by looking up the tracking number and seeing it marked as delivered. They did nothing more to look into it until I filed the appeal and still waiting the outcome.

prosperpina -
I had no idea you spoke for everyone here since you claim few think I am being honest. Was there a poll I missed? :)
The court details? Oh yes, he requested a continuance. He did not have a lawyer. As to why he failed to have one I have no idea. I also heard he has two other issues pending before the same judge and this little scofflaw goes for continuance after continuance. It's only a matter of time until he runs out of those and marks one of them "Final".
Exactly what makes you believe I have a grave lack of understanding? It appears that thus far I have been right as evidenced by the arrest and court date. I really do not believe that this particular case is within your experience or understanding since you find the events as being "comical".

single317dad -
As you yourself witnessed, there are some jurisdictions that take any crime seriously and pursue it. Had this happened in NYC, they would have shown me the door and said Have a Nice Day!

I don't know why any of you have a hard time believing what happened and all the events to date. I seem to have a fairly good track record when it comes to looking up the law and applying it correctly in court. I have won 5 out of 5 times.
If you would like, I could expand on how I went to court and beat a ticket for driving the wrong way down a one-way street. I got stopped in the middle of the block, it was clearly marked, it was 2:30pm and sunny, there were witnesses, and the whole thing was recorded on a dash cam. Who here thinks they could beat that? What would be your first thing to look into? Lets see how good YOU are.
I was pulled over for driving the wrong way on a one-way, at about 2 am. I didn't even get a ticket. Can YOU guess how I beat that?

;):cool:

Esto Perpetua

Bahahaha! Are you really bragging about driving the wrong way, down a one way street, in the middle of the day? I'm guessing the judge just felt sorry for you...

NC1

Wow. I had no idea this site was so bad.

I came looking for some help and constructive opinions which is what I thought you did here.
I was wrong.
Just look at what you all did, what you all recently wrote, and the sentiment behind it.

It still amazes me at how poorly people treat one another for absolutely no reason or gain.

It is no wonder the world is in the shape it is in with everyone the world over doing to others exactly what you did here.
How are you any different? Or better? Or wiser?

I guess that is just the way things are now. Oh well, no loss on my end here.
If this is the best you can do in helping people, all I have to say is WOW!

There is no longer a reason for me to post any further since I know what will be returned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">