• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail carrier gives package to wrong person at wrong address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

All I know is what I know.

justalayman -
As far as I know, the postal inspector has not formally done anything yet, it is not like we are best buddys and calls me all the time because he is bored. I was assuming that he is possibly awaiting the result of the case in the local court. As to what he is thinking, I have no idea. Let us all know if you do.
The scumbag did obviously do something illegal to end up being arrested and getting a court date. I am sure the detective did his job, and did in fact determine that the guy needed to be arrested after his investigation was complete. Or do you believe this was a false arrest?
As for the insurance denial, I did inform you above that the mail carrier falsified the record - this fact was admitted by the carrier when confronted with the issue. Whoever handled the initial claim did not have this information so they denied it by looking up the tracking number and seeing it marked as delivered. They did nothing more to look into it until I filed the appeal and still waiting the outcome.

prosperpina -
I had no idea you spoke for everyone here since you claim few think I am being honest. Was there a poll I missed? :)
The court details? Oh yes, he requested a continuance. He did not have a lawyer. As to why he failed to have one I have no idea. I also heard he has two other issues pending before the same judge and this little scofflaw goes for continuance after continuance. It's only a matter of time until he runs out of those and marks one of them "Final".
Exactly what makes you believe I have a grave lack of understanding? It appears that thus far I have been right as evidenced by the arrest and court date. I really do not believe that this particular case is within your experience or understanding since you find the events as being "comical".

single317dad -
As you yourself witnessed, there are some jurisdictions that take any crime seriously and pursue it. Had this happened in NYC, they would have shown me the door and said Have a Nice Day!

I don't know why any of you have a hard time believing what happened and all the events to date. I seem to have a fairly good track record when it comes to looking up the law and applying it correctly in court. I have won 5 out of 5 times.
If you would like, I could expand on how I went to court and beat a ticket for driving the wrong way down a one-way street. I got stopped in the middle of the block, it was clearly marked, it was 2:30pm and sunny, there were witnesses, and the whole thing was recorded on a dash cam. Who here thinks they could beat that? What would be your first thing to look into? Lets see how good YOU are.

You really don't understand this, do you?

I mean...seriously. You honestly don't have a clue, do you?

If you're going to lie, at least make sure your story is plausible and not a laughable case of "Yeah well I had him jailed and he has to pay us a gazillion dollars oh and yeah you're all wrong and you suck".

quincy

Some of what you wrote did not seem to add up quite right, NC1, which is why you got the responses you did. Also, admitting to breaking laws in the past is not a real smart thing to do on a legal advice site, even if you managed to get out of the tickets you received.

For everyone's general information, following is a link to 18 US Code §1708, Theft or Receipt of Stolen Mail (which justalayman mentioned earlier), under which the neighbor was possibly charged: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1708

Here is a link with information on how to report mail theft:
http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/selfservice/USAGov/#!portal/1012/article/4338/Report-Mail-Theft-Tampering-or-the-Destruction-of-Mail-or-Mailboxes

Ohio has had some problems with mail theft in the recent past. Last year, a Columbus mail carrier was charged with mail theft after it was discovered he was stealing cash and gift cards from the mail on his route, and a couple of other cities in Ohio had problems with theft of mail from mailboxes, with a couple of arrests resulting.

Last edited:

proud_parent

I was pulled over for driving the wrong way on a one-way, at about 2 am. I didn't even get a ticket. Can YOU guess how I beat that?

;):cool:
Many years ago, my then-boyfriend was pulled over for driving ~45 mph in a 20 mph residential area, also around 2 am. He also didn't get a ticket.

In an incredible coincidence, an air med helicopter flew over just as the officer was approaching my boyfriend's stopped vehicle. The boyfriend, a surgical resident, happened to have his surgical scrubs and hospital ID lying on the passenger seat where he'd tossed them hours earlier when he left work. Quick-thinking BF flashed the ID at the officer, gestured up at the helicopter, and said, "I'm on the transplant team. That's my patient's heart up there!"

It was a complete lie, but the cop bought it and immediately waved him on.

single317dad

Many years ago, my then-boyfriend was pulled over for driving ~45 mph in a 20 mph residential area, also around 2 am. He also didn't get a ticket.

In an incredible coincidence, an air med helicopter flew over just as the officer was approaching my boyfriend's stopped vehicle. The boyfriend, a surgical resident, happened to have his surgical scrubs and hospital ID lying on the passenger seat where he'd tossed them hours earlier when he left work. Quick-thinking BF flashed the ID at the officer, gestured up at the helicopter, and said, "I'm on the transplant team. That's my patient's heart up there!"

It was a complete lie, but the cop bought it and immediately waved him on.
Boy, if I were out at 2 am and had my girlfriend waiting for me at home, I'd sure think up some great story like that too ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">