• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

They gave me almost twice the radiation, they said it would take time to recover from that. I feel like its been long enough and I should be back to normal

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They gave me almost twice the radiation, they said it would take time to recover from that. I feel like its been long enough and I should be back to normal
Twice the radiation compared to what? Who said it would take time to recover? What, exactly, does "recover" mean?
You really need to speak to an attorney.

My sergon told me they gave me almost twice the radiation. The sergon was at KU medical center hospital. My oncologist told me Id need time to recover from radiation. When I would ask them what caused me to be this away the radiologist and oncologist would blame the other treatment to be the cause of it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My sergon told me they gave me almost twice the radiation.
Twice the radiation compare to what? Was the radiation given within the acceptable guidelines, but just twice what the surgeon would have prescribed?

Look, I am not trying to minimize or trivialize what you have gone through. I get it - my wife spent 7+ years in severe and constant pain until we finally found the right combination of surgeon and procedure to alleviate her pain. Unfortunately, not everyone responds to treatments in the same way. What you are going through, while difficult, painful and depressing, may not be outside the realm of possible outcomes.

quincy

What would be the best type of a lawyer should I contact, do they need to have medical knowledge?
You can have a medical malpractice attorney go over the facts with you and review your medical records to see if you have a claim worth pursuing. The consultation should be free and most malpractice attorneys work on a contingency basis where you do not pay them unless your legal action is successful.

Have you looked for second opinions, on your treatments and their results, from other medical professionals?

TigerD

@TigerD is in OP's state isn't he?
I am. Kansas City is chock full of excellent attorneys that handle personal injury and med mal on both sides of the state line. There may be other claims for recovery as well with different SOLs. It is worth sitting down with an experienced PI attorney to discuss. <- Cousin Bobby who handles speeding tickets is not the attorney to discuss it with.

TD

lifeessential24

I had rectal colon cancer, I was first treated at Pittsburg KS. They gave me almost twice the amount of radiation, and my family Dr told me they gave me the wrong chemo.
I have been struggling for 3 yrs with being able to walk and the use of my right hand and leg even my speech has been was effected. I've been in therapy for over a year. I have to have help with certain things. Still has lots of problems walking and staying balance.
I had my surgery at KU med center. Thet told me that my cancer type was misdiagnosed. But the treatment was the same.
What do you suggest? Im 63 and can no longer work because of it. I'm on disability but that is hardly enough to live on.
Thank you for your suggestions
You should definitely consult with a medical malpractice attorney. A malpractice lawyer is that focused on helping patients who have been injured or treated badly by a doctor or hospital while under their care. When a medical malpractice lawyer takes your case he or she has to prove that the doctor or hospital that was providing your care was negligent in their care.

I would be seeking a 3rd (and maybe even a 4th) opinion. In post 4, you have one doctor saying that though you were misdiagnosed, the treatment would be the same. Then in post 18, you have a different doctor saying that you received twice the radiation. You need more input to determine who is right, and you need to keep in mind that both may be right - different doctors have differing opinions on how to treat the same disease.

I get that you are upset and angry about the way your life has changed - but disease and successful treatment do not mean a full return to your former health and lifestyle. Radiation, tumors, chemo, and surgery have long-term effects and sometimes cause permanent damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">